Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 08:38 AM

1,660 posts, read 1,210,268 times

Advertisements

I support putting illegal immigrants in LA , San Francisco, and New York City. There they will be embraced and given the best opportunities and benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2019, 10:28 AM

62,958 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
I’m not trying to derail the conversation but to your point about multiple families living in a SFH....please explain to me why you would care about something like this? Especially at a time when rents are skyrocketing in major cities across the country. I’d rather have low income folks splitting rent than living on the streets. Wouldn’t you?
Illegal aliens are more than just "low income folks" they shouldn't even be in our country much less renting with several to an apartment or house. If they have many kids for example they aren't paying their fair share of taxes on the property to cover the education costs of their kids.

Old 04-14-2019, 11:41 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,373,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Illegal aliens are more than just "low income folks" they shouldn't even be in our country much less renting with several to an apartment or house. If they have many kids for example they aren't paying their fair share of taxes on the property to cover the education costs of their kids.
The property owner pays the property taxes, not the renter.

Old 04-14-2019, 12:29 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Technically you are the government.
Once upon a time the government didn't care about civil rights, the environment, child labor, the disabled, etc. It took citizens protesting, making their voices heard, lobbying, etc.
Yes I agree. We have an anti-immigrant president that vowed to build a wall that employed half a village from Costa Rica illegally while being president for nearly three years. Immigration is nothing more than a political football and red meat for a gullible base. The bottom line is that big business wants them here for cheap labor. It doesn't matter who we vote for. Big business and huge donor checks win.

Old 04-14-2019, 02:13 PM

62,958 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Of course, but those taxes go towards our funding our schools and educating several kids crambed into one dwelling not fit for that many creates a tax deficit in our school funding.

Old 04-14-2019, 04:20 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Why would they? They don’t require proof of legal residence when someone applies for housing. I’m not a defender of landlords but they aren’t culpable in this debate.
They don't have to care. The argument was in harming those who benefit from those here illegally.

There are a lot of people who benefit from them being here which is why nothing is ever actually done about it.

Old 04-14-2019, 04:35 PM

15,432 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:
Tell me you're not serious. The rent includes a portion that goes to property taxes.

Old 04-14-2019, 04:39 PM

15,432 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:
I’m not trying to derail the conversation but to your point about multiple families living in a SFH....please explain to me why you would care about something like this? Especially at a time when rents are skyrocketing in major cities across the country. I’d rather have low income folks splitting rent than living on the streets. Wouldn’t you?
Around here they say it drives down property values, and it's ugly seeing cars parked on the front lawn because there's more cars than places to park them. I'm sure there are other reasons like sanitation, noise, and more.

Old 04-14-2019, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Around here they say it drives down property values, and it's ugly seeing cars parked on the front lawn because there's more cars than places to park them. I'm sure there are other reasons like sanitation, noise, and more.
The amount of people occupying a domicile has no tangible impact on the value the property assuming that the occupants are respectful and follow other rules. The other stuff you’re bringing up are separate issues that don’t necessarily have any correlation to occupancy.

Old 04-14-2019, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Tell me you're not serious. The rent includes a portion that goes to property taxes.
Who ultimately is responsible for paying the property tax bill? The owner of the property. Where he or she allocates that money from is irrelevant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration