Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 10:29 AM

148 posts, read 644,939 times

Advertisements

In my community the police stop people at random on weekends to check for drunk drivers. The people may not even be driving all that bad they just happened to drive past an active traffic stop.

What about stopping people at random on streets and ask them for ID. This would be done regardless of appearance or race because illegal aliens could be from a variety of countries.

Some people would say it is similar to old Germany where people would be asked for their papers. But others say it is no different than stops for drunk drivers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 11:26 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by total_genius View Post
In my community the police stop people at random on weekends to check for drunk drivers. The people may not even be driving all that bad they just happened to drive past an active traffic stop.

What about stopping people at random on streets and ask them for ID. This would be done regardless of appearance or race because illegal aliens could be from a variety of countries.

Some people would say it is similar to old Germany where people would be asked for their papers. But others say it is no different than stops for drunk drivers.
I dont think it is a good idea. It leaves way too much room for racial profiling allegations despite it stopping everybody. Also, the libertarian inside me thinks it is too much of a police state effect.

One thing i will always support is a legal status check every time you have to handcuff someone. If the illegals here claim "they only want to work" let them prove it by staying out of trouble.

Old 06-25-2008, 11:35 AM

6 posts, read 17,309 times
Quote:

The police need probable cause to stop, or ask anything, in my opinion. Roadblocks are wrong, and so is asking for immigration papers during a traffic stop, or worse at a road block. Immigration check points near open boarder areas, are not even a good idea. This check needs to be done at the border, and when the fence, and guard posts along the boarder, are complete, I assume the immigration checkpoints will disappear.

Old 06-25-2008, 11:37 AM

148 posts, read 644,939 times
Most illegal aliens came here legally but overstayed their VISA's, so checking only at the border would not help much.

Old 06-25-2008, 12:16 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 28 days ago)

27,647 posts, read 16,138,284 times
Against all random traffic stops.

Old 06-25-2008, 12:31 PM

218 posts, read 437,904 times
I'm against "random traffic stops" of any kind. I don't care much for those DUI check points, either.

All are gross violations of our rights to move about without unneccessary government hindrance.

Old 06-25-2008, 12:41 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,308,341 times
Quote:

I am totally against stopping the masses to catch and apprehend a few. DUI checkpoints, while they do nab a few people, does not deter, remedy or eradicate the problem at large. People are still drinking and driving and will continue to do so.

As for the bolded portion of your statement, let's get real here..Do you really think the cops are going to stop a blue eyed white male or female walking on the street? (No offense to anyone). As much as I hate to say this, racial profiling will be the key ingredient and impetus for these stops.

I'm not willing to relinquish my freedom of movement nor carry around papers to prove that I belong here.

Old 06-25-2008, 12:43 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,449,229 times
Quote:
Most illegal aliens came here legally but overstayed their VISA's, so checking only at the border would not help much.
Than who are all those people running through the desert crossing the borders?

Old 06-25-2008, 12:50 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,449,229 times
I think random checks are a wonderful idea!

Old 06-25-2008, 01:09 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,704,817 times
Quote:

Makes perfect sense to me, total genius!

Any individual respecting and honoring the laws of our country should have absolutely NOTHING to worry about.

Unfortunately, times have changed and our Law Enforcement Officers need to be more proactive in order to protect the honest law abiding citizens of The United States.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration