Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 12:35 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,239,108 times

Advertisements

Our economy would sink like a brick in a mudpit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 12:53 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,484,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
In today's ultra tight college market, low wage jobs don't cut it. Teens and college students are looking for jobs that relate to their field of study. Or at least marginally relate to their field of study. Internships or extracurriculars are MUCH needed to break into the tough job market as a young person. Same for the tight university race going on... Competition is rough out there.
A 16 or 17 year old who is looking for a part time job over the summer is probably not going to be looking for something related to their 'field of study'. As a matter of fact, number of them may have not yet even decided what their field of study is. IMO, most teens are simply looking for a way to generate some cash. Working in fast food restaurants, babysitting, mowing lawns- these are all jobs that were done by teens and college students in the not too distant past. As a mother of two, I can say that teens have a difficult time finding summer jobs in my area. Both my daughters and their friends found this to be the case. Teens benefit from the responsibility of having a job and earning their own money. When the jobs they formerly did are now all held by illegals, no one benefits. Except, of course, the illegals who have no business being here in the first place.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:05 PM

927 posts, read 1,461,259 times
QUESTION: if there were a FAIR compromise for BOTH the left and right ... could most of you see it as a workable solution?

Old 09-28-2009, 01:41 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,997,306 times
Greeting's,

Anyone.... and Everyone who is within America's Borders "Illegally"..... according to our "Very Own"...
well defined and essential "Law's"...... is in fact "Breaking The Law"..... and as such "Deserves
No Less Than Timely Deportation".....

This dynamic nation of American's..... must absolutely rid itself of the unprecedented
"Nightmare' of millions of "Illegal Aliens" within our country..... and who continue to
absolutely "Swarm" into our beloved "Homeland" from across the "Southern Border"...

The last estimate for America's "Illegal Aliens" is just over "12 Million"..... A truly
devestating "Nightmare" situation for America.....

There is no dishonor in following the legal procedures to become an American Citizen.....
This is reasonable and how it is designed to take place. It also exhibits an act of good
faith and conformity to the rule of law from the non-citizen applying for U.S. citizen
status.

Anyone whom desires to "Obey The Laws" and become a U.S. Citizen via the "Legal"
domain..... is certainly entitled to all the rights and benefits.....

Anyone whom choses to enter this great nation "Illegally"..... breaks the laws.....
refuses to learn "English"..... engages in Gang & Drug Activity..... and stomps around
this nation under a foreign flag while demanding the "same Rights" as "Legal" citizens
..... has absolutely "NO Right" under any circumstances to remain within our borders
for one second longer..... These folks must be "Deported" to their home country and
our "Southern Border" most absolutely and completely be forcefully be controlled and
effectively secured with all urgency.....

Most of our elected government has without doubt miserably and deliberately
failed the American People on this tragic and most ominious "Issue of "Illegal Aliens".....

12 Million + "Illegal Aliens" within our Nation.... How "Irresponsible"..... How "Totally"
and "Insanely Irresponsible" could our elected officials have been for the past 25
years........ To allow this "Illegal Alien Debacle' to have happen at all is indeed a
most obvious measure of "Great" and "Total"....."Failure" on the part of those folks
in whom we have elected and entrusted to protect and empower the American
People..... Thats right..... "The American People" !!! Thanks / L. F.

*** In no wise must the "American People" allow this nationally destructive matter to
continue any longer ***............................................... ...................................

Last edited by L.Funk; 09-28-2009 at 01:43 PM.. Reason: Sentences Too Long...../ Thanks / L.F.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:45 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,527,528 times
Quote:
In today's ultra tight college market, low wage jobs don't cut it. Teens and college students are looking for jobs that relate to their field of study. Or at least marginally relate to their field of study. Internships or extracurriculars are MUCH needed to break into the tough job market as a young person. Same for the tight university race going on... Competition is rough out there.
competition is good, exploitation is not. employers demand more for less bek they can, why not? the strange part americans hate unions just hate them.
they are what is keeping a complete economic destruction of france by 3rd world people, ---- unions and only unions.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:48 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,101,223 times
All illegal immigrants gone? FAR less crime. Higher wages. The people working will actually be paying taxes. Lees spent on social services. The money made here would stay here and be put back in our economy instead of the billions sent to foreign countries. Less gangs. Hospitals would not have the financial burden of caring for illegals. Better education in the schools. Lower drug trade. Less uninsured vehicals on the road. Less stolen identites and social security numbers. Less people in the country that have no loyality to America.

LIFE WOULD BE BEAUTIFUL WITH ALL ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS GONE!

Old 09-28-2009, 02:16 PM

927 posts, read 1,461,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
All illegal immigrants gone? FAR less crime. Higher wages. The people working will actually be paying taxes. Lees spent on social services. The money made here would stay here and be put back in our economy instead of the billions sent to foreign countries. Less gangs. Hospitals would not have the financial burden of caring for illegals. Better education in the schools. Lower drug trade. Less uninsured vehicals on the road. Less stolen identites and social security numbers. Less people in the country that have no loyality to America.

LIFE WOULD BE BEAUTIFUL WITH ALL ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS GONE!
That is a fantasy and not going to reduce a LOT of crime in many other places in the USA

Old 09-28-2009, 06:08 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,914,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
A 16 or 17 year old who is looking for a part time job over the summer is probably not going to be looking for something related to their 'field of study'. As a matter of fact, number of them may have not yet even decided what their field of study is. IMO, most teens are simply looking for a way to generate some cash. Working in fast food restaurants, babysitting, mowing lawns- these are all jobs that were done by teens and college students in the not too distant past. As a mother of two, I can say that teens have a difficult time finding summer jobs in my area. Both my daughters and their friends found this to be the case. Teens benefit from the responsibility of having a job and earning their own money. When the jobs they formerly did are now all held by illegals, no one benefits. Except, of course, the illegals who have no business being here in the first place.
I'm just talking from experience. Talking about what it takes in today's tight market. And yes, a 16-17 year old WILL be for looking for their field of study (I wanted to do something in healthcare, so I volunteered at a hospital. Friends that wanted to go into business became bank tellers...things that are related. People change paths, but I assure you that they still pursue things related to their new path. It's the only way to obtain a decent job after college nowdays). Not saying that this is always the case, but increasingly it is. At least in urban areas like SoCal and NYC...where it is VERY competitive in terms of obtaining a spot a local school or obtaining a good paying job.

As for mowing lawns during summer, I ran this by my dad...he said that even in his day, people tried to find more related work while in college (he graduated in 1970).

This is uniquely the college experience, so thus not most teens. The majority of people end up not going to a 4 year institution.

As for your daughter and her friend's case, it simply is due to the economy. Rising unemployment rates are not favorable to younger people. Not illegal immgirants. If they are in college, it may be simply because if they are looking for fastfood, the companies want a longer commitment than simply the summer or a quarter. I'd suggest, depending on her field, that she volunteer. It looks good on a resume. Or check with her career counselor on campus (again assuming that she is enrolled in school).

Old 09-28-2009, 06:10 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,914,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
competition is good, exploitation is not. employers demand more for less bek they can, why not? the strange part americans hate unions just hate them.
they are what is keeping a complete economic destruction of france by 3rd world people, ---- unions and only unions.
Except the post you cited was pretaining to something else entirely...

Old 09-28-2009, 06:25 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,176,030 times
Quote:
What would happen is that many communities would suffer a massive loss in it's consumer base, thus less taxable income going towards services. Some companies may go out of business, simply due to lack of interest to work in said fields (janitorial for example). Schools would be less crowded, however, some schools would close due to lack of funding (going back to loss of a tax base in some lower income communities).Crime may increase, or decrease, depending on how things are handled. In certain jurisdictions, the loss of people would mean less crime (since less people=less crime). In others, the lack of funding may mean more crime. Generally, lower income communities will be hit hardest and worst.

I was going to talk about farming, but I really don't know if anything will be affected. I can see that people may not be interested in picking fruit or lettuce. However, I don't know if prices will go up (ways to obtain workers), the same (if wages are good enough, will this mean openings for a group that felt "shunned"?) or down (less demand with the same supply). I personally think that it could be an admixture of initially up (simply lack of workers), then same (legal immigrants coming via work visa, maybe).

Again this is all hypothetical...
With our high unemployment rate: your hypotheses are moot--------and, that is not counting the slap in the face to those of us who play by the rules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration