Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 11:55 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,172,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
The term has been around for about 2 centuries, and while it's roots MAY harken back to the days of slavery, the fact remains that there were LOTS of WHITE sharecroppers who were 'cotton-pickers', too. My mother used to tell me to "keep my cotton-pickin' hands out of the cookie jar". I know PLENTY of Black Americans who use that term in the same way.

IMHO, it's only a 'racial' comment to those who've become professional victims.
Some just don't understand this - both my parents were cotton-pickers as kids and is was a source of pride - filling the sack was important. Blacks and Whites worked along side each other during the Depression and they also had to hoe the cotton when it was small (hence, 'tough row to hoe').

Watch the movie "Places in the Heart" for a realistic portrayal of the way things were.

Lou Dobbs has roots which go back to those times and places.

And if Lou is so racist, why did he marry a Hispanic woman?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 11:57 AM

218 posts, read 437,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
In my post I said there are both definitions, then I said look at the votes of who agrees with the definitions.

Anyways I don't watch Lou Dobbs, this was a known slur amongst many that have been noted coming out of his mouth. Sorry if he is your boy, but the guy messed up and almost lost his job because of it.
Mach, number one, your *redacted* post gave both; your initial post did not. I posted before you made the amendment. Sorry if I jumped the gun.

Second, he is not "my boy." I think Lou Dobbs is a demagogue. I don't think he is a racist or that CNN is "right wing." I do think both are irresponsible.

Old 07-16-2008, 11:59 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,504,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von Costume View Post
Mach, number one, your *redacted* post gave both; your initial post did not. I posted before you made the amendment. Sorry if I jumped the gun.

Second, he is not "my boy." I think Lou Dobbs is a demagogue. I don't think he is a racist or that CNN is "right wing." I do think both are irresponsible.
No problem at all, I tried to make it more clear so I edited the post.
I agree with you they are irresponsible.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:05 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,569,444 times
I watch Lou Dobbs on a regular basis, and have yet to get the impression that he is a racist. La Raza, et al. have launched a campaign to silence opposition to illegal immigration, and Lou Dobbs is at the front of their “Stop The Hate” list.

As previously mentioned, the term “cotton pickin” has been around for years. My grandfather said it on a regular basis, and I doubt seriously he would say anything to denigrate black people, given his African ancestry. I have said it myself on occasion. As a matter of fact, if I had a dollar for each time I said, “You must be out of your cotton pickin mind!” I could probably open a small business. This country is drowning in PC.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:32 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,345,401 times
Hurry get Lou Dobbs off of TV he is agitating globalists who hate nationlism!! He could be creating Lou Dobbsian followers with the same type of thinking! Smear him anyway you can hurry! Crush awareness before it spreads!

Old 07-16-2008, 12:44 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,413,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
To whom it may concern:

Lou Dobbs may come perilously close to the 'line' of polite speech--------hey, we still have buffoons like ol' Jesse cut Obama's nuts off Jackson who do more harm than good. Yet Jesse is still 'allowed' to shoot off his low class mouth.

Awwwww . . . . AB, you left Al Sharpton out of the equation . . . I am so disappointed in you.

Old 07-16-2008, 01:40 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,145,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Awwwww . . . . AB, you left Al Sharpton out of the equation . . . I am so disappointed in you.
I will take my 30 lashes with a wet noodle

Old 07-16-2008, 02:02 PM

185 posts, read 355,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
The term has been around for about 2 centuries, and while it's roots MAY harken back to the days of slavery, the fact remains that there were LOTS of WHITE sharecroppers who were 'cotton-pickers', too. My mother used to tell me to "keep my cotton-pickin' hands out of the cookie jar". I know PLENTY of Black Americans who use that term in the same way.

IMHO, it's only a 'racial' comment to those who've become professional victims.
I was going to say the same thing. The term was used on me by my parents on more than one occasion. It's more of a "generational" term than an "ethnic" one. Would "hoodwinked" be considered racist? It contains "hood" which also refers to black neighborhoods. It was also used in the "cotton-pickin' days.

Recently someone got in trouble to refering to an office where paperwork was regularly disappearing as a "black hole." Obviously he was refering to the gravity wells in space that suck everything in. Some of the black people present were highly offended.

“Black Hole” Racist? » The American Mind

It's the epitome of over-sensitivity born of victim-hood. (uh oh, I used the "hood" word again.)

I've been watching Lou Dobbs for many months and never heard him say anything even remotely racist.

Old 07-16-2008, 02:05 PM

299 posts, read 547,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cribster View Post
I've been watching Lou Dobbs for many months and never heard him say anything even remotely racist.
That would be because he hasn't. The only people who think he has happen to be the racists themselves or people just looking to start trouble. The main ones who dislike Dobbs happens to be the people who hate anyone who happens to be against illegal immigration and want the laws followed.

Old 07-16-2008, 02:12 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,342,700 times
I love Lou Dobbs he goes after everyone BOTH political parties . He subscribes to closed/safe borders due to the unreal huge amount of drugs pouring in through them. The gangs using them ar their private routes and lets not forget how easy it is for any potential terrorists to hire a good "coyote" and come in at will .
Who knows how many have by now.

A few groups want to silence him because of that but those groups dont seem to care about Americas safety at all because you cant support open borders when you have all the above problems.

I myself have emailed CNN saying how much I love Lou Dobbs I hope others who agree do the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration