Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 04:37 PM

3,859 posts, read 10,329,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTex View Post
Forget about race for a moment, the linked site under discussion is forecasting the U.S. population to reach one billion people before the end of this century!

Is this the America that y'all truly want your grandchildren to inherit? One massive overpopulated banana republic?

Just asking...
I agree. As I posted above it is the number increase that disturbs me. Too many people in a short period of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 08:35 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
When did this happen. I really haven't researched it. I always remember Hispanic being separated from White...maybe someone on the board can remember otherwise. I'm 35 and I don't
Introduction: Half-Century of Learning: Historical Census Statistics on Education Attainment in the US, 1940-2000

Collection of data on Hispanic origin has also changed over time in the decennial census. The first attempt at collecting data on Hispanic origin from the decennial census was in 1970. However, the data were collected using several different methods and sample sizes. The first year Hispanic origin data were collected on a 100% basis was 1980, so Hispanic origin is shown in this table package from 1980 to 2000.

Old 08-03-2008, 09:09 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,673,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Thank your fellow latinos who protest and lobby for special treatment as a minority. You can't have it both ways.
But Caucasian and "minority" are not mutually exclusive groups. There are plenty of ethnic minorities who are Caucasian: many Hispanics, Indians/Pakistanis, Persians, North Africans, Middle Easterners, West Asians, etc. Not all Caucasian people are white Anglo-Saxon Protestants.

Even many non-Hispanic people of European origin are "ethnic" like Italians, Polish, Russians, etc.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:37 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,343,406 times
This will happen IF we continue to ruin our own country. It's not inevitable.

It's up to us to decide what is best for us, the citizens of the U.S., and we are starting to do that now.

These numbers mean nothing, because it depends on what happens in the next few years, and things are changing in terms of getting rid of illegals. And, we may even tighten things up more in a decade or so, and not even accept legal immigrants for awhile.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:39 AM

2,065 posts, read 3,594,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
This will happen IF we continue to ruin our own country. It's not inevitable.

It's up to us to decide what is best for us, the citizens of the U.S., and we are starting to do that now.

These numbers mean nothing, because it depends on what happens in the next few years, and things are changing in terms of getting rid of illegals. And, we may even tighten things up more in a decade or so, and not even accept legal immigrants for awhile.
One can only HOPE!!

Old 08-04-2008, 09:04 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,564,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
I don't think I've seen White/Hispanic.

Most of the forms Ive see say Hispanic of any race.

And then theres the many forms that say

White
Black/African American
Asian
Pacific Islander
Native American
Mexican-American/Chicano
Other Latino

or something like that. That might just be for California stuff.
I'm not sure if it's a regional phenomenon, but I have definitely seen White/Hispanic, White/Non-Hispanic; as well as, Black (AA)/Hispanic, Black (AA)/Non-Hispanic, etc. Every "racial" category now has an Hispanic ethnic designation.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I'm not sure if it's a regional phenomenon, but I have definitely seen White/Hispanic, White/Non-Hispanic; as well as, Black (AA)/Hispanic, Black (AA)/Non-Hispanic, etc. Every "racial" category now has an Hispanic ethnic designation.
I second that. Though it's not the norm still, I have seen separate boxes for white Hispanic, black Hispanic, white non-Hispanic and black non-Hispanic (as opposed to the standard "Hispanic of any race," "white non-Hispanic" and "black non-Hispanic"). However, I have never seen a form that says "Asian non-Hispanic" (although the census itself recognizes such a combination through its use of separate race and Hispanic ethnicity questions).

I personally think that the census should come with more detailed instructions encouraging people of mestizo background to check both Caucasian AND Native American and people of mulatto background to check Caucasian and black so that these groups don't check "Other" - most Mexican-Americans and many Dominicans do not actually report their racial combination, bur rather put "Other." Maybe "other" should just be abolished because everyone is either one of the three races (well, four if you separate Native American) or a combination of one or more of them.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:10 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
But Caucasian and "minority" are not mutually exclusive groups. There are plenty of ethnic minorities who are Caucasian: many Hispanics, Indians/Pakistanis, Persians, North Africans, Middle Easterners, West Asians, etc. Not all Caucasian people are white Anglo-Saxon Protestants.

Even many non-Hispanic people of European origin are "ethnic" like Italians, Polish, Russians, etc.
OK, so now if we further categorize caucasians as being from specific countries, who decides which ones will receive 'minority' status? You've made the presumption that the "majority" is Anglo-Saxon Protestants. If that were the case, btw, the WASPs are probably a minority in this country, dontcha think? Who are the caucasians who get to claim ethnic minority status and how is that decided? Please indulge me.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:19 AM

7,025 posts, read 11,411,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTex View Post
Forget about race for a moment, the linked site under discussion is forecasting the U.S. population to reach one billion people before the end of this century!

Is this the America that y'all truly want your grandchildren to inherit? One massive overpopulated banana republic?

Just asking...
Just answering: NOPE.

It's already unbearable with the millions and their offspring here illegally.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
OK, so now if we further categorize caucasians as being from specific countries, who decides which ones will receive 'minority' status? You've made the presumption that the "majority" is Anglo-Saxon Protestants. If that were the case, btw, the WASPs are probably a minority in this country, dontcha think? Who are the caucasians who get to claim ethnic minority status and how is that decided? Please indulge me.
Does it make sense that people who are the descendants of the Spanish and Portuguese get to check a box that is different from the descendants of the Italians and the French? To me this doesn't make much sense either. During the 1970's or so the US government decided to start taking information on Hispanic or Latino origin and even snow white people of unmixed European origin who pertain to this group began to receive separate classification. What makes even LESS sense is that people of Italian and French origin ARE Latin but nevertheless are not counted in the Hispanic/Latino category. It really puts me off to hear people lumping Italians with "Anglos" and Spaniards with "Hispanics" as if the two national originls belong in separate groups. I agree with collecting separate data on race and ethnicity; I just think that how we classify people of Hispanic/Latino ancestry (and juxtapose them with people of similar southern European ancestry) needs to be revisited.

And yes, I believe that slightly over half of this country's population is composed of white Anglo Saxons (but admittedly, not necessarily Protestant). Italians, Russians, Poles, and other "ethnic" non-Anglo Saxon European groups are not part of this majority but when they are lumped into "white non-Hispanic" they become part of it, boosting this to a majority of about 70% of the United States population. So, on a technicality, people of Italian descent are counted into the "white non-Hispanic" majority whereas a person of Spanish descent would be counted with the "Hispanic (of any race)" minority. Only in the United States would a Persian or Moroccan person be counted into our "majority" and a Hispanic-American of Spanish descent whose family has lived here for generations be counted as a "minority" !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration