Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 07:44 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,432,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convert 54 View Post
I agree with JDM on this also. I had not heard that some one had compared the Elvira woman with Rosa Parks..........What an absolute slap down that comparison.................

The current illegal crop of aliens cannot, in any way shape for or fashion compare their experience with those of Black America. From the Reconstruction of post 1865 to the marches of the 1960's the comparison is non-exsistant.

The Mexican illegals have NOT experienced fire bombings, lynchings, un leashed dogs .
They HAVE not experienced segregated restrooms, and dining counters, Virtually destitute schools and abject poverty................................No, the mexican illegals need to suffer a little more before they can hold them selves up to a civil rights movement of monumental proportion and of such a nature that it shaped AND shocked the moral consciences of a nation into and onto a path of enlightenment.

Our own Oklahoma Clara Looper would take great umbrage with that comparison also............
Convert54 and JDM, very good facts brought back to light.

We absolutely need the African Americans support. Illegals have been trying to apply themselves to the rights intended for AA's. (affimitive action, the civil rights movments, ect)
African Americans are the hidden power we've been looking for.
They could turn out to be the backbone of this fight!

Last edited by mkfarnam; 11-20-2008 at 08:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 07:47 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Blake Best is 23 years old, African-American and speaks Spanish well enough to function easily in Mexico.

That last fact is why Best says he supports a measure that would force all Metro Nashville business to be done in English. If he can learn Spanish, newcomers can learn English.

But some who hope to influence the outcome of a Jan. 22 special election — where voters will decide whether to approve a ban on government business being conducted, in most cases, in languages other than English — suspect Best's race could have a role in the way he votes, too.

While conventional wisdom suggests that one group with a history of poor treatment might be sympathetic to the struggles of another, there are hints of significant African-American support for the English-only proposal, which almost exclusively will affect immigrants.

And in a county where black voters make up at least 29 percent of the electorate, those who want to defeat the measure are discussing a strategy they say must be broad and meaningful enough to attract white and African-American voters.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20081120/NEWS0202/811200365/1001/RSS6001

Yes indeedy, as the economy weakens, tolerance for all things illegal alien is running out. Slowly and methodically, the tide is turning.
The shabby treatment of American citizens is a whole different issue than topics like amnesty and deportations.

American blacks were American citizens, but foreigners breaking our laws and then demanding this country switch over to their language and culture is no comparison.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingInExiles View Post
Languages: English (official), Hausa, Yoruba, Igbo (Ibo), Fulani

As an immigrant myself, I wouldn't support an English-only plan for businesses, I'd instead support a plan for something more bilingual.
I think businesses should be able to allow another language along with English to be spoken in the work place but they should not be allowed to discriminate against English speaking Americans when hiring or in any way.

If a business hires a person who can translate for customers -- fine -- but no job applicant should be denied because they speak only English.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
this is the second time i've seen someone advocate for the "abolition" of the 14th Amendment. do you understand how many of our basic rights as US citizens are contained in (or derived from) the 14th Amendment? you don't really want to repeal it, do you? even if you're only referring to the citizenship clause, then how would you suggest we confer citizenship upon your children and mine?
The 14th amendment was never about foreign citizens who wished to bypass the immigration laws of the USA.

It was for the children of slaves, not for every citizen of every foreign nation to have a "back-door" way around the laws.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:54 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I think businesses should be able to allow another language along with English to be spoken in the work place but they should not be allowed to discriminate against English speaking Americans when hiring or in any way.

If a business hires a person who can translate for customers -- fine -- but no job applicant should be denied because they speak only English.
I think that they should be denied if they can't speak english unless every employee can speak that employees language. Its a matter of safety, communication effectivness.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:00 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,411,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The shabby treatment of American citizens is a whole different issue than topics like amnesty and deportations.

American blacks were American citizens, but foreigners breaking our laws and then demanding this country switch over to their language and culture is no comparison.
ITA. With you, and MKFarnum re: blacks and their treatment of us.

More importantly they are trampling all over all Americans. We have every right to: our sovereignty, our safety, jobs, access to our social systems and fair representation from OUR elected representatives, the majority of who seem to have forgotten who they work for.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
^ really talk about a racist jab! Let's see my legal hispanic mother speaks English well enough but prefers to talk in her native tongue which happens to be Spanish and I concur with Ibarrio.
I suggest Mr. Blake Best worry more about the way blacks speak in this country which is attracious at best before he starts assailing the inabilty of others to learn English. Have a good day!

ps: we're not mexicans either!
The problem is in government services having to be offered in foreign languages and the anti-American discrimination taking place in employment and other.

People who speak "eubonics" never demand that hospital employees or welfare office workers learn eubonics to accomodate them. It's a dialect that is understandable by almost any English-speaker, especially American-English-speaker. We're not told that unless we speak eubonics that we can skip trying to find a job at Walmart or the hospital or in education. Speakers of eubonics aren't trying to cram their dialect down anyone's throat, and it's also not language of a foreign nation they couldn't stand to stay in but want to impose on us.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:03 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,411,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingInExiles View Post
Languages: English (official), Hausa, Yoruba, Igbo (Ibo), Fulani

As an immigrant myself, I wouldn't support an English-only plan for businesses, I'd instead support a plan for something more bilingual.
This is America and ENGLISH has and always will be our ONLY primary language. Sorry but we are the United States of America and a democracy, not the country of Burger King. Therefore, I doubt that you will ever have it your way.

Last edited by JDubsMom; 11-20-2008 at 08:20 PM..

Old 11-20-2008, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I think that they should be denied if they can't speak english unless every employee can speak that employees language. Its a matter of safety, communication effectivness.
Yes. I just meant that if there is someone who speaks Polish for example and some Polish tourists enter the store or restaurant it would be okay for that foreign language to be spoken, but it would be wrong to discriminate against Americans who don't speak Polish when hiring.

In some workplaces it's very important that the employees and management are speaking English -- but it's very often not the case. Employees can speak Spanish and be trying to cover up a problem they don't want a supervisor to know about for example. If that is in a hospital or airport control tower, that could be deadly.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:07 PM

The solution -- foreigners who are too unwilling, or unable to adapt to American culture and language have a very viable option. Stay in their own country.

I would suggest the same thing to an English speaking American who told me he wanted to move to Spain or Russia but did not intend to learn the language of the country to which they planned to emigrate but instead expected all the citizens of that country to learn English to accomodate him --- I would say that was stupid and he shouldn't go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration