Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 03:21 PM

795 posts, read 2,299,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Speaking any foreign language in public in any host country is not only considered rude but disrespectful.

You have a good day too.
Must have been what my two grandfathers were thinking - when the -public-[them Arkies] showed up in hearing range they stopped the Danish and went to english.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 03:24 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,493,432 times
I didn't appreciate lbarrio's racist comment, however, let's not stoop to that level of ignorance. People have the right to speak their native language - the problem, is when they expect others to accomodate them.

~ButterBrownBiscuit~

Quote:
Who asked or for that matter who gives a dead rats ass whether you are mexican or not? Speaking any foreign language in public in any host country is not only considered rude but disrespectful.

As far as Blacks American citizens are concerned we definitely don't need some pissant illegal alien to tell us what needs to be done in our country. Illegal aliens, no matter what sewer they crawled out of need to go home and fix the cesspools you fled. Oh I forgot they don't want their worthless, whiney asses either.

As for the influx of illegal aliens primarily from SOB and any other illegal alien spanish speaking idiots who are too trifling to leave, all of you simply need to get the hell out of this country period.

You have a good day too.

Old 11-20-2008, 03:24 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,411,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasTraveler View Post
Must have been what my two grandfathers were thinking - when the -public-[them Arkies] showed up in hearing range they stopped the Danish and went to english.
That's what anyone with common sense and manners would do. Good for them

Old 11-20-2008, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterBrownBiscuit View Post
I didn't appreciate lbarrio's racist comment, however, let's not stoop to that level of ignorance. People have the right to speak their native language - the problem, is when they expect others to accomodate them.

~ButterBrownBiscuit~
While I agree that they have the right to speak their native language, it is rude and disrespectful to do so in public. Unlike myself you may be too young to remember when respect and common courtesy of foreign "visitors" to this country was not the exception but the rule.

Of course back then the majority of America's immigrant population were not only here legally but they were also civilized, law abiding, respectful human beings.

As for levels of ignorance, the illegal aliens who post on this board don't understand anything said that is above their level of comprehension. IGNORANCE is their level, therefore I stoop to it to get my point across.

Old 11-20-2008, 03:47 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,493,432 times
I'm 40, so I don't know if that qualifies as young to you. Personally, I don't care if people are speaking amongst themselves in whatever language. Now, if I am a patron in an establishment, it does irk me when someone is not fluent in English and I generally won't continue to go there. The only time I think it's rude, is if I feel like someone is talking about me in their language - other than that, I don't care.

Ultimately, I think we would be better served to emphasize how learning English would be beneficial for legal immigrants and not focus so much on how much it annoys us.

~ButterBrownBiscuit~

Quote:
While I agree that they have the right to speak their native language, it is rude and disrespectful to do so in public. Unlike myself you may be too young to remember when respect and common courtesy of foreign "visitors" to this country was not the exception but the rule.

Of course back then the majority of America's immigrant population were not only here legally but they were also civilized, law abiding, respectful human beings.

As for levels of ignorance, the illegal aliens who post on this board don't understand anything said that is above their level of comprehension. IGNORANCE is their level, therefore I stoop to it to get my point across.

Old 11-20-2008, 04:33 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,666,667 times
Quote:
I'm 40, so I don't know if that qualifies as young to you. Personally, I don't care if people are speaking amongst themselves in whatever language. Now, if I am a patron in an establishment, it does irk me when someone is not fluent in English and I generally won't continue to go there. The only time I think it's rude, is if I feel like someone is talking about me in their language - other than that, I don't care.

Ultimately, I think we would be better served to emphasize how learning English would be beneficial for legal immigrants and not focus so much on how much it annoys us.
~ButterBrownBiscuit~
good luck! posters like JDM live to complain. in a nasty nasty way at that.

i think english proficiency is vital. and i can say that without the toxicicity evidenced by some posters.

it would def. benefit the immigrant to learn the language of the land. thats what needs to be made aware. the only thing is that immigrants really do get this. every school around my house has night classes for english. they are packed! immigrants are learning english and previous threads(in this forum) have shown how in places like CALI, the immigrant is becomng more english proficient than previous decades and is assimilating more.

of course thats not the case all around. but that dont stop people from making generalizations.

as for the ebonics comment. i think its a valid one if we are talking about english proficiency. but most people on here like to talk about "south of the border" issues. it always becomes about mexicans and spanish.

this should be about english proficiency. but then we must also discuss education. and a couple of other issues. its a complicated topic and certain posters really dont have the capacity to engage in a intelligent discourse. one that moves beyond a "They are determined to drag us down to their level of abyss."

thanks for your input i really do appreciate it.

Old 11-20-2008, 04:51 PM

Quote:

~ButterBrownBiscuit~
Quote:
The only time I think it's rude, is if I feel like someone is talking about me in their language -

Well, you just explained why it is considered rude to speak a foreign language whether you are a guest or illegal alien invader in someone elses country.

You also confirmed why it is considered rude and why it annoys not only me but millions of other Americans, especially when they are here illegally, get arrested and are discovered to have been in this country for decades and yet require the taxpayers to pay for an interpreter, legal representation, court costs and the "pleasure" of housing, feeding and clothing them sometimes for life, in our jails.

Last edited by JDubsMom; 11-20-2008 at 05:00 PM..

Old 11-20-2008, 06:15 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,300,139 times
Ah, but the issue of spanish vs Ebonics is multifaceted in that My spanish/American brethren are NOT expecting ME to learn spanish and in fact are working towards rudimentary english and that I appreciate.

My black/American brethren are not telling me I should learn Ebonics either so its the illegal crowd than, and their supporters who are telling ME and all other Americans that WE should learn spanish to better help the ILLEGAL spanish here. Yet I have never heard a cogent explanation as to why this will help them................So I await a explanation as to why I should learn spanish............

Old 11-20-2008, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convert 54 View Post
Ah, but the issue of spanish vs Ebonics is multifaceted in that My spanish/American brethren are NOT expecting ME to learn spanish and in fact are working towards rudimentary english and that I appreciate.

My black/American brethren are not telling me I should learn Ebonics either so its the illegal crowd than, and their supporters who are telling ME and all other Americans that WE should learn spanish to better help the ILLEGAL spanish here. Yet I have never heard a cogent explanation as to why this will help them................So I await a explanation as to why I should learn spanish............
Don't hold your breath, I have a feeling you'd need an ambulance and an oxygen tent to survive the wait.

Besides, I always enjoy our posts.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:43 PM

196 posts, read 628,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Springs Gator View Post
I dont see Americans of Chinese, German, Nigerian, Iranian decent trying to force english speaking Americans to speak their former countries language. What makes spanish so special over all other non english languages. It appears spanish speaking immigrants are not coming here to assimilate, but to create a new Latin America. Talk about hyjacking prosperity.
Languages: English (official), Hausa, Yoruba, Igbo (Ibo), Fulani

As an immigrant myself, I wouldn't support an English-only plan for businesses, I'd instead support a plan for something more bilingual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration