Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 04:29 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,437,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
Not for nothing, but not everyone who disagrees with many of your guys' shared views is a young "cocooned" naive person living in an "ivory tower". That's a stereotype in itself that everyone who disagrees with you on the matter is living so much better than your "rough" life, so can't see the problem.

Many of the posters actually live in communities where there is an illegal presence. Maybe even a large one.

From what I see, you speak from a very specific perspective about a particular area/neighborhood that you live in.

Many people haven't experienced the experiences you alleged to have had, and maybe some have had experiences with illegals that gave them a different perspective.

The illegal immigrants in this country aren't one solid conglomerated group. Like all groups of people, I'm pretty sure it's a case by case kind of thing.

I will agree on two things
1. They are definitely here illegally
2. They are probably working here illegally

Everything else is a case by case thing. You can't paint such a large group with such a broad bush based on what's happening on your street, even if you've heard similar stories by other people in this huge country.

I don't think so much that your guys' experiences are all that unique compared to the people on the other side of the discussion, like so many of you suggest. I think people just have a different perspective on it, a different reaction.
If you havn't experienced it first hand like some of us have, including myself, and watched your own communty turn from a decent community to a Getto within 10 years, then you have no idea what it's like. And I don't mean case by case either. I was vice chairman of our community meetings. Our Community/neighborhood was 201 sq, block (3 sq, Miles). It started out as a Farming community, the farmers moved and it became a residential. Some farmers kept their property and rented it out.
As Vice Chaiman, I knew 95% of the families (owners and Renters) of our community and many communities around us.
Myself and the rest of the neighbohood(S) watch yards turn into junkyards, watch Illegals move into vacant barns, garages, and shacks. Most of this was never permitted by the owner, they just moved in because it was vacant. Next to me was an abandond dairy farm, (I leased a house from the owner for 26years.) The milk storage/freezer was occuppied by 8-9 illegal families at 1 time.
Burglaries, auto theft and robbery started climbing to an all time high.
We formed our own Patrol ( in 4 communities) and started turning illegals into ICE. Crime dropped, but reversed when illegals came back.
This is one reason I left SoCal.
Now If you have never excperienced this, then don't lecture us on what it's like.
Without being in the middle of it, or effected by Illegal immigration you cannot phathom what it's like, I guess that gives you a reason to ignore or disbeleive the true facts and sympathize with the crimes they commit..

Your problem is, You talk too much before acknowledging the facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 04:36 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,572,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
I'm not sure why you singled me out, or where you got your information but for the record I have never heard of Katy, TX. If you are going to single me or anyone else out for the purpose of interrogating, lecturing or antagonizing them, you would fair much better by presenting factual information.

That being said, your statement with regards to the subject of illegal immigration is correct. We will never agree.
Well in that case I apologize. I confused you with someone else But what exactly did I say that was not factual?

Old 12-05-2008, 05:05 PM

78 posts, read 139,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Bottom line is most of the above immigrants came here legally----------the illegal ones are insolent losers and need to be treated as the criminals that they are. Frankly: it needs to be a 'living hell' for people who move here (I am not referring to assault, murder, etc either)-----------read that no bilingual education, etc. so they are forced to become American. Harsh perhaps but such an immersion policy quickly separates the people we want from a bunch of potential free loaders.
Why do you call these human beings "losers", the vast majority of them come here to work hard, and succeed, name-calling is "passe" and childish in our society, "hard liners" using "hard" words just took a beat in this past election. To me a true "loser" is the one that wakes up every morning eager to express their hate in forums like this one, what a pathetic life!!!

Old 12-05-2008, 05:17 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,148,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuquiyu View Post
Why do you call these human beings "losers", the vast majority of them come here to work hard, and succeed, name-calling is "passe" and childish in our society, "hard liners" using "hard" words just took a beat in this past election. To me a true "loser" is the one that wakes up every morning eager to express their hate in forums like this one, what a pathetic life!!!
In my eyes: criminals are typically losers................most illegal aliens are indeed criminals.

Note I am describing economic 'refugees'--------------political refugees are a different animal.

Old 12-05-2008, 05:20 PM

3,645 posts, read 4,928,338 times
Quote:
Pot...please meet kettle!!!!

Old 12-05-2008, 05:26 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,287,535 times
Quote:

I've always been against the mentality that people lucky enough to be born in the right country have the right down to look down on others who weren't as lucky.

Wish I could rep you for this post.

Old 12-05-2008, 05:28 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,752,679 times
Quote:
I've always been against the mentality that people lucky enough to be born in the right country have the right down to look down on others who weren't as lucky.

Wish I could rep you for this post.
I've always been of the mentality that a person, rather than running away from a life that isn't exactly what they would have planned for themselves, should work to insure that life is better for their children and their children's children.

Silly wabbit me. What would planet Earth be like if people chose to try to improve the status quo rather than submitting to it?

Old 12-05-2008, 05:32 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,287,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
I've always been of the mentality that a person, rather than running away from a life that isn't exactly what they would have planned for themselves, should work to insure that life is better for their children and their children's children.

Silly wabbit me. What would planet Earth be like if people chose to try to improve the status quo rather than submitting to it?
I guess we have a hard time understanding that mentality until we're in that position right?

But I guess this country is full of examples since it is almost exclusively made up of people who ran away from a life that wasn't exactly what they would have planned for themselves, instead of working to insure that life would be better for their children and their children's children.

Maybe the vast majority of people in this country ran away to the United States because they found that to be the best way to insure a better life for their children, children's children.

Old 12-05-2008, 05:33 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,283,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
I empathize with the plight of these people. Our country was built on immigration. The only difference between immigrants today and those that came from Ireland, Poland, Italy, Germany and many other countries is the fact that there were no laws deeming mine (and many of your) ancestors "illegals". Where you see criminals I see hard working people that risked a lot to come here. The law is the law. I see it as inherently un-American.

Which illegals have come up to you and directly disrespected you in person? And who says we have to change for them? I highly doubt anybody in this thread lives in a neighborhood where illegals are trying to change everything. JDubsMom, don't you live in Katy, Texas? How have illegals changed Katy? When is the last time an illegal came up to you and said "Speak Spanish and wave a Mexican flag, or else." I was born and raised in Chicago and currently live in Houston. It has never happened to me. You also need to keep in mind the Irish, Germans, Jews and Italians were once seen as "invading foreign cultures." The illegals will assimilate. If they don't, they are doomed to generations of poverty. That's the true American way.

If we don't need antagonisits, why are so many in this thread making such gross generalizations about illegals? Isn't that antagonistic?

I know we will never agree on this topic. But I know there are many here that feel the way I do.

Then your assumption would be wrong. I was born and raised on the S Texas border and yes the illegals do expect the US to cater to them. From making sure that teachers are bilingual to the fact that to get a job where I live you have to speak Spanish. It is easy for those of you who do not deal with this on a day to day basis to have sympathy. If I moved to Mexico I would be expected to speak the language but that is not how it is where I am from we cater to them and that is wrong. At one time illegals used to come to the US for a season, earn money for their family and go back home. Drugs were virtually unheard of and those that crossed illegally meant not harm. That is no longer the case, and for people to think they are just coming for a better life is naive. The illegals of today are a different breed of people.

Old 12-05-2008, 05:44 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,752,679 times
Quote:
I guess we have a hard time understanding that mentality until we're in that position right?

But I guess this country is full of examples since it is almost exclusively made up of people who ran away from a life that wasn't exactly what they would have planned for themselves, instead of working to insure that life would be better for their children and their children's children.

Maybe the vast majority of people in this country ran away to the United States because they found that to be the best way to insure a better life for their children, children's children.
Well, if you want to open our borders up to the world's poor, then I guess you'd better stick Mexico waaaaayyyyy down at the bottom of the list.

The World's Fifty Poorest Countries:

Afghanistan, Angola, Bangladesh, Benin, Bhutan, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cambodia, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Democratic Republic of Congo, Djibouti, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gambia, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Haiti, Kiribati, Laos, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Maldives, Mali, Mauritania, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, Niger, Rwanda, Samoa, São Tomé and Príncipe, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, Somalia, Sudan, East Timor, Togo, Tuvalu, Uganda, Tanzania, Vanuatu, Yemen, Zambia.

Gee, what do you know. Not a SOB country among them....

Tell me, just how many huddled masses do you think this country can hold? How many tired, poor, and homeless wretched refuse are the American citizens in this country expected to support with their tax dollars at the expense of themselves and their fellow citizens who need their assistance just as much if not more than someone from another country?

Did you know that in America, more children of citizens live below the poverty level than in any other industrialized country in the world?

If your motives are truly as altruistic as you would have the rest of us believe, that you are solely motivated by your compassion for the poor, then I want you to explain to the rest of us exactly what entitles Mexico's people to our compassion over the rest of the world's poor?

Its proximity to our southern border?

Enquiring minds want to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration