Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 06:07 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,056,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Sometimes they're damned if they do, damned if they don't.
This is exactly how I see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 07:06 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,286,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabolissa View Post
First off, I'm not talking illegal immigration here, this is strictly legal immigration I'm curious about.

Do you have a rivalry (Immigrated Mexicans vs. Americans with Mexican heritage)? Why?

I'm a 2nd Generation Mexican-American(grandparents came from Mexico). I don't think there is a "rivalry" between Chicanos and Mexicans.

There are differences, but we consider ourselves blood. I would guess the vast majority of Chicanos still have family in Mexico.

Many of us have grandparents, or parents, that are very Mexican, so we have a connection to that people. Many of us visit our family in Mexico and vice versa. Especially since Mexico is the US's neighbor, we have the ability to maintain closer ties to family in the "old country" than other groups that have immigrated to the United States.

But from my experience, Mexican-born kids will most likely hang out with themselves, while Chicanos will probably stick to themselves, because they relate better to each other. It's not rivalry, it's just which group you have more in common with.

Mexican-born kids are probably going to be into soccer and corridos/norteno music or rock en espanol, and the Chicanos are probably going to like baseball/football/basketball and listen to hip hop or punk or whatever.

But even then, there's many Chicanos who will hang out and talk Spanish with some Mexicans, or there's a Mexican born person who can talk English and will hang out with a Chicano group.

Many Chicanos grow up in places where Spanish is commonly spoke. From my experience, it doesn't hinder the speaking of English, but the Chicanos are used to it. They don't shy away from it like people who aren't exposed to Spanish a lot. In other words, a Mexican person being Mexican isn't a big deal to a Chicano. They can either get a long, or they don't.

The thing about Mexicans/-Americans, is we're pretty blunt people. We'll tease each other in a way that isn't common with Americans.

Mexicans/-Americans have no problem giving a chubby girl a nickname like "gorda" or "gordita", and it won't be taken as offensive. Or even affectionately calling someone "feita" , "little ugly one". It sounds mean for Americans, but it's not always meant to be, and it's not always taken to be.

So you'll see Mexicans calling Chicanos a "pocho" or "gringo", or tease someone pretty hard for not speaking Spanish when they are "Mexican".

Also, you'll hear Chicanos tease Mexicans as mojados, paisas or whatever.

Maybe sometimes it's meant as offensive, but I can safely say that most of the time it isn't.

We just like to talk a lot of trash to each other.

Old 01-24-2009, 05:47 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
The difference, me Amigo, has to do with your country. I cannot go to Mexico and come home with a Mexican baby, nor can I legally immigrate and vote in any election. And if I get arrested for sneaking over the border I go to jail. The only reason a mexican says they are American when the parents wee illege is because of an anchor baby law that desperately needs to be changed to discourage bad behavior. A child, regardless of his parent's immigration status, not conceived on American soil is not American in my eyes. He/she is a product of the country where he was conceived. Therefore if you were conceived in old Mexico I would consider you Mezucan and not a Mexican-American - unless of course you went thorugh the legal process to become an American. .

Old 01-24-2009, 05:52 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,286,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
The difference, me Amigo, has to do with your country. I cannot go to Mexico and come home with a Mexican baby, nor can I legally immigrate and vote in any election. And if I get arrested for sneaking over the border I go to jail. The only reason a mexican says they are American when the parents wee illege is because of an anchor baby law that desperately needs to be changed to discourage bad behavior. A child, regardless of his parent's immigration status, not conceived on American soil is not American in my eyes. He/she is a product of the country where he was conceived. Therefore if you were conceived in old Mexico I would consider you Mezucan and not a Mexican-American - unless of course you went thorugh the legal process to become an American. .
Too bad what you think doesn't matter much. The law is the law, isn't it?

Old 01-24-2009, 06:49 PM

117 posts, read 293,565 times
I am an American of Mexican descent with a long family history in the US and there is some tension between Mexicans from Mexico and Chicanos. SOME Mexicans (legal and illegal immigrants from Mexico) get mad if we don't speak Spanish here and only English and say that we are no longer a true Mexican or that we have lost our culture. On the other hand, other fellow Americans make me feel unwanted when they refer to us as "illegal aliens" or don't accept us as being "true" Americans. Sometimes it is hard for me, but I get over it because I know what I am and what I'm not. I love my Mexican culture and no one can take that away, but I also appreciate my country and being American as well.

Old 01-24-2009, 08:27 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael85225 View Post
I am an American of Mexican descent with a long family history in the US and there is some tension between Mexicans from Mexico and Chicanos. SOME Mexicans (legal and illegal immigrants from Mexico) get mad if we don't speak Spanish here and only English and say that we are no longer a true Mexican or that we have lost our culture. On the other hand, other fellow Americans make me feel unwanted when they refer to us as "illegal aliens" or don't accept us as being "true" Americans. Sometimes it is hard for me, but I get over it because I know what I am and what I'm not. I love my Mexican culture and no one can take that away, but I also appreciate my country and being American as well.
Those idiots refer to Americans of 'Mexican' background as pochos. Stupid I realize on the former's part.

I am in part of Hungarian lineage (father is from there) but I self identify as an American-----------never mind that some Hungarians have tried to rag on me for not speaking their lingo. I just looked at them in disgust.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:06 PM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Those idiots refer to Americans of 'Mexican' background as pochos. Stupid I realize on the former's part.

I am in part of Hungarian lineage (father is from there) but I self identify as an American-----------never mind that some Hungarians have tried to rag on me for not speaking their lingo. I just looked at them in disgust.
It really comes down to "what team are you on?" We wave the flag of stars and stripes.

Old 01-25-2009, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
It really comes down to "what team are you on?" We wave the flag of stars and stripes.
Yeppers.

That stated: I (probably) qualify as a Son of the Confederacy due to my mother's heritage and if I were at a Civil War re-enactment, I would fly the Stars and Bars (which would have nothing to do with racism under the circumstances). Otherwise: Old Glory and nothing else!

Old 01-25-2009, 12:08 PM

Quote:
MOROCOLLO, Bolivia – Bolivian Indians on Sunday threw their support behind a new constitution aimed at increasing their strength while allowing leftist President Evo Morales a shot at staying in power through 2014.

Voters were expected to easily approve the measure in a country whose Indian majority has been long oppressed.

But opposition from Bolivia's white and mestizo populations and disputes over the document's wording foreshadowed yet more political turmoil in a divided nation where tensions over race and class have recently turned deadly.
Yahoo News article (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090125/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/lt_bolivia_referendum - broken link)

It sounds to me that parts of Latin America need to face their own White/Mestizo supremacy in their cultures prior to hassling the USA.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:16 AM

3,162 posts, read 11,436,860 times
I guess that most of the posters have answered the OP already, imho people are people and they will get along or not depending on many factors, not just sharing a common background.

That's why I like to see myself as a world citizen, I like to assimilate everywhere I go LOL, there is no Mexican, American, German, French, etc for me.

There is only people, only hearts and souls

But like others previously said, there are some people that expect Mexican americans to speak spanish and scold them for not doing so, I find that rude, but on the other hand, when I've been in the USA in areas where there are lots of Mexican Americans and I hear spanish people gets surprised if I adress them in spanish LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration