Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 09:42 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,437,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Fella, The problem there is that Mexican entrepreneurs are building and marketing their retirement communities and assisted living facilities to retired Americans. I saw a TV program about it -- I think it was on the news show "60 Minutes" but I'm not positive. Anyhoo, they interviewed the Mexican developers involved and some of their happy American customers.

So, it's not as if people are bopping down there demanding to be accommodated.The entrepreneurs in Mexico are appealing to and marketing the idea to THEM. I don't know how building and zoning works in Mexico but if the locals are unhappy then they need to take it up with their local authorities and developers.
I doubt most locals are unhappy, I've spent time in cities/towns with a large number of expats, and most people like them, a lot of Americans do the effort to speak at least some spanish and be polite and respectful.

Yet there have been cases of illegal americans hiding in Mexico because they did something bad in the USA, others get involved with drug business or are pedophiles, these ones have caused a negative reaction from the local communities, but most have been isolated incidents.

I've met my share of illegal americans in Mexico, a guy told me he came here because he was discriminated for being gay in the US, and that immigrating legally was too difficult (this was his excuse) other were a couple of young guys, a brother and a sister who lived in San Luis, the girl taught english classes in a local school, she is a very pretty girl btw, when I asked them why they came here, they told me that they just arrived and decided to stay LOL, they already had made friends with the people of San Luis.

I also met an illegal german living in Mexico, he told me that one day with his friends he had an earth globe, he made it spin and closed his eyes and said, I'm moving to the place where the globe stops, it was Belize, then his friends told him, don't go to Belize go to Mexico, he came with another friend from the US, they are musicians and both are here illegally, when I asked the guy from germany why did he move here he said, oh because Mexico is the closest thing to a working anarchy and I like that.

I have to say that I like meeting people and listening to their stories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 02:59 PM

50,316 posts, read 47,056,299 times
The obvious difference is Americans are moving in loaded with cash, many of the Mexicans are just.........

well...... loaded

Old 03-05-2009, 03:10 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,437,580 times
This happens, because if you have money there is no point in leaving Mexico, unless you are really fond of American culture/customs/lifestyle and want to be a part of it, Mexico has a lot of charm and appeal, this attracts affluent citizens of many countries, specially but not restricted to senior citizens, what I mean is that immigrants who move because of the illusion of a better life often tend to do it thinking that they will realize their material dreams and they are willing to risk everything for this ideal, on the other hand those who have money have already fulfilled that desire and look different things, they are more interested in what the place has to offer, in terms of culture, lifestyle, environment etc.

The main problem is that there are things we all hold dear, and when we feel they are threathened we react accordingly to the magnitude of the threat. Unfortunately some things escape our control and this creates frustration.

The possible solutions will be diferent depending on everyone's unique personality.

Regards

Old 03-05-2009, 03:13 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
It sounds to ME like these Mexicans are just "ordinary people", acting like "normal people" act everywhere....that is, they like their culture and are not anxious to have ANOTHER culture 'shoved down their throats'. They probably don't "hate" Americans, just distrust the change they bring, and having to adapt to their strange habits.

Somebody needs to tell these Mexicans about the wonders of multiculturalism....that's the way WE do it up here...why should they 'get a pass'?

Gringo culture MAY be annoying, but you have to admit, it's 'colorful'....(or so we're supposed to believe)....

NOBODY has a right to a 'comfort zone'....(I guess)...

If there's any consolation for the Mexicans who are disappointed in being overwhelmed by gringos, at LEAST they won't be accused of being racists.....just people who like their country the way it is, and don't want their 'guests' to change it.

Old 03-05-2009, 03:19 PM

595 posts, read 2,743,265 times
LOL!!!! This is the funniest thing I've heard in a looong time!

Old 03-05-2009, 05:58 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
teatime you are killing me! Can't give you any more reps.

The grannies and grandpas could import their grandkids -- imagine how upset the natives would be with five or six children following them down the street and taking over their schools.

Old 03-05-2009, 06:03 PM

316 posts, read 596,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
teatime you are killing me! Can't give you any more reps.

The grannies and grandpas could import their grandkids -- imagine how upset the natives would be with five or six children following them down the street and taking over their schools.
LOL... For a lakewooder to talk like that. I guess it's experience, isnt it. Too comfortable in Golus I suppose. Wow.

Old 03-05-2009, 06:16 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,411,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
The obvious difference is Americans are moving in loaded with cash, many of the Mexicans are just.........

well...... loaded
He shoots, he scores

Old 03-05-2009, 06:18 PM

50,316 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
He shoots, he scores
Going triple/double today babeee

Old 03-05-2009, 06:19 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,411,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Going triple/double today babeee
You go babeeee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration