Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 11:21 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,309,935 times

Advertisements

Maybe I'm just wired wrong, I don't know, but I've often wandered what goes through the mind of people of colour who are so down on illegal aliens and when I say down, I mean to the point of foaming at the mouth like some I see here.

Old 03-13-2009, 11:28 AM

795 posts, read 2,298,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
I mean to the point of foaming at the mouth --.

Birthplace
London

Would that be London Arkansas?

Old 03-13-2009, 11:30 AM

12 posts, read 24,679 times
Hi there,

I myself am of Hispanic origin although I consider myself to be American first and always American first.

My family and I migrated to the US from Mexico when I was two and I gained my US citizenship when I was 13.

My family worked hard to come here and for illegal aliens, no matter what their race or ethnicity or nationality they have, to come here and demand that they are owed something is an insult. It's an insult to me and my family who had to work hard to immigrate to here.

I can distinguish what is pro legal and anti illegal. I support anti illegal peoples.

Anyone who opposes illegal immigration because it is wrong and a violation of US law is a hero in my eyes.

I am Mexican by birth BUT American by choice and always that way.

And no, I don't believe that being poor is a reason to immigrate illegally. The law MUST be followed!

Last edited by norberto; 03-13-2009 at 11:47 AM..

Old 03-13-2009, 11:37 AM

238 posts, read 729,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norberto View Post
Hi there,

I myself am of Hispanic origin although I consider myself to be American first and always American first.

My family and I migrated to the US from Mexico when I was two and I gained my US citizenship when I was 10.

My family worked hard to come here and for illegal aliens, no matter what their race or ethnicity or nationality they have, to come here and demand that they are owed something is an insult. It's an insult to me and my family who had to work hard to immigrate to here.

I can distinguish what is pro legal and anti illegal. I support anti illegal peoples.

Anyone who opposes illegal immigration because it is wrong and a violation of US law is a hero in my eyes.

I second that....!!!!

Old 03-13-2009, 11:48 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,545,413 times
Quote:
Maybe I'm just wired wrong, I don't know, but I've often wandered what goes through the mind of people of colour who are so down on illegal aliens and when I say down, I mean to the point of foaming at the mouth like some I see here.
I happen to be a man of color, and have been following the immigration debate for decades.

My personal opinion is that illegal [Latino] immigration would never/could never have happened without business and government. People who come here illegally, are looking for the opportunities that they already know exist. So when those opposed to such immigration argue that "they're taking our jobs", my response is always that those jobs cannot be "taken"; they can only be given. Now, I understand and appreciate how illegal labor as a whole, has driven down wages in some occupations, but aside from decent construction jobs, those occupations consisted mainly of menial and hard labor anyway. Sadly, opponents to illegal immigrants have succeeded in convincing some Black Americans that the Mexicans have stolen our jobs. But as a middle class Black man, I've never had an illegal immigrant "take" my job. Nor have any of my Black friends, acquaintences or family members.

Therefore, as a Black man, I view this opposition in a few ways: (1) it's demeaning to Blacks AND Latinos, to the extent that people have tried to pit "us" against "them" for the table-crumb jobs; (2) it's ethnically biased, to the extent that it would be much less of a problem if we were talking about blonde, blue-eyed Canadians coming across the northern border; and (3) the ethnic and racial hatred that it engenders, while ignoring the primarily White and well-off benefactors and facilitators of illegal labor.

Old 03-13-2009, 11:56 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,556,692 times
Quote:
Hi there,

My family and I migrated to the US from Mexico when I was two and I gained my US citizenship when I was 13.

And no, I don't believe that being poor is a reason to immigrate illegally. The law MUST be followed!
What HE SAID.....

Old 03-13-2009, 11:57 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,309,935 times
Quote:
Hi there,

Well you picked a great country, that I can say. Do you empathise with these people, I mean the illegals and do they demand? I always thought it was out of sight for them.

Old 03-13-2009, 11:59 AM

Thank you all.

It's amazing how much paperwork a legal immigrant has to go through but it's necessary because the US has to make sure that you can assist society not leech off of it.

My parents cried when they were sworn in because their paperwork and hard work paid off.

I don't believe my heritage should influence how I view the law but sadly some people do.

Old 03-13-2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Well you picked a great country, that I can say. Do you empathise with these people, I mean the illegals and do they demand? I always thought it was out of sight for them.
I do have some but not enough to believe breaking the law is good.

It's sad that they are poor but MILLIONS are worldwide. No country can take care of every poor person without filing for bankruptcy in the future.

The US can't take care of everyone. That's why people need to be educated when they immigrate.

I don't have much contact with illegals but many of them are poor and trying to find jobs but you can't violate the law which is what theyre doing

How can a country function without the law being enforced?

Old 03-13-2009, 12:15 PM

Location: Where laws can be ignored due to political correctness
1,111 posts, read 1,852,462 times
Quote:
Hi there,

Thank you. If you even mentioned this to some pro-illegal apologists they'd probably brand you as a self-hating Mexican or someone who is forgetting his roots.

A legal immigrant who agrees with law enforcement? What a shock!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration