Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 04:13 PM

476 posts, read 1,576,409 times

Advertisements

I appreciate everyone's feedback here and I am glad my comment about comparing it to crime didn't send us over the deep end with that as we have all dealt with the crime threads ad nauseum. I was just trying to point out to some folks that making a generalization about all of Charlotte having illegal immigrant issues is the same as generalizing that crime is everywhere when it is not. Thanks so much for keeping all of that on point and for the information as it is important to us as we are planning our relo. I personally have a lot of issues (most derived from personal experiences) with the whole illegal thing so I am refraining from any specific conversation relating to it but like I said, I do get frustrated when it is so generalized. IMO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2007, 06:25 PM

239 posts, read 878,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
No, they don't. At least not the majority. There was a big story covering this issue in the media here last fall. Illegal immigrants and a spokeswoman for advocacy groups for illegals each stated this to be the case - that it IS a cultural thing. This advocacy group is trying to educate the illegals and actually positions people outside the popular latino bar hangouts on the weekends passing out flyers explaining that in America is it a crime to drink and drive. Believe it or not, they don't have these kinds of laws in central America - so many are ignorant to them when they come here.

Old habits are hard to break so even when they are informed that it is illegal many don't care - those interveiwed admitted that! They think they should be able to just live here the way they did back in whereever they came from. When I heard that my blood boiled. Advocates for these folks are keenly aware that this issue has made many Americans hostile towards the illegal and some legal immigrants.
I'm sure you are aware that there are illegal aliens from other countries besides Central and South America, why keep using 'illegals' as if they are the only ones?

I'm sure the media hyped it up a tad for their big story. Just because someone enters this country illegally doesn't automatically make them morally devoid. I'm not saying everyone who does is a saint, but the way some people talk about Central/South American illegal aliens on this site is sickening.

It seems that the only information people here get is from the TV-- of course you're going to think they're all horrible. The media doesn't report the good stuff...

Old 03-30-2007, 06:43 PM

362 posts, read 1,345,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannaCT View Post
Just because someone enters this country illegally doesn't automatically make them morally devoid.
Wouldn't the fact that they're knowingly doing something *illegal*, and perpetrating this *criminal* activity in the US, make them "morally devoid" by definition?

I'm not trying to argue, I'm just asking. It would seem that way to me. I realize that there are illegal aliens from countries other than Central and South America, as I'm sure most of us do. Since I'm from Phx, illegal aliens from those areas are most prevalent here...same situation in CA, FL, TX, etc...so I think that since many of us are from these above-mentioned states that are majorly affected by Central and South American illegal immigration, we automatically think "Hispanic" or "Latino" when speaking of illegal aliens, even though we are aware that those ethnicities are not all-encompassing, with regards to illegals in this country.

Old 03-30-2007, 06:45 PM

193 posts, read 245,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICDWTM View Post
Wouldn't the fact that they're knowingly doing something *illegal*, and perpetrating this *criminal* activity in the US, make them "morally devoid" by definition?...

I think that since many of us are from these above-mentioned states that are majorly affected by Central and South American illegal immigration, we automatically think "Hispanic" or "Latino" when speaking of illegal aliens, even though we are aware that those ethnicities are not all-encompassing, with regards to illegals in this country.
I don't know about "morally devoid" but it certainly makes them criminals. FWIW there are a TON of illegal immigrants from Asia living in Charlotte.

Old 03-30-2007, 06:50 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,411,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookEmHorns View Post
I don't know about "morally devoid" but it certainly makes them criminals. FWIW there are a TON of illegal immigrants from Asia living in Charlotte.
If they're knowingly living off of the same services that we as tax payers are kicking in for (health care, needing the police, firemen, etc.,), I'd say that's "morally devoid". If you take advantage of everything we're paying for and not paying into as well, you're morally devoid as well as a criminal.

Old 03-30-2007, 06:51 PM

362 posts, read 1,345,767 times
On another note, I have witnessed an influx of illegal immigration to Phx over the years, and I'm wondering if Charlotte's *problem* is nearly as severe? I'm guessing that the illegal alien population in Charlotte doesn't even come close (relatively speaking, of course, since Charlotte is smaller than these cities) to that of Phx, San Diego, Los Angeles, Miami, New York, Dallas, Las Vegas, etc, but I could be entirely incorrect? Does anyone know?

If the illegal alien population is relatively larger than that of Phoenix's, I would venture to suggest that Charlotte definitely has a problem. I'm guessing, however, that to Charlotteans, it's a *problem*, and to people who come from states where it is a documented crisis, it's a drop in the bucket, so to speak. Any ideas?

Old 03-30-2007, 07:07 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
Quote:
On another note, I have witnessed an influx of illegal immigration to Phx over the years, and I'm wondering if Charlotte's *problem* is nearly as severe? I'm guessing that the illegal alien population in Charlotte doesn't even come close (relatively speaking, of course, since Charlotte is smaller than these cities) to that of Phx, San Diego, Los Angeles, Miami, New York, Dallas, Las Vegas, etc, but I could be entirely incorrect? Does anyone know?

If the illegal alien population is relatively larger than that of Phoenix's, I would venture to suggest that Charlotte definitely has a problem. I'm guessing, however, that to Charlotteans, it's a *problem*, and to people who come from states where it is a documented crisis, it's a drop in the bucket, so to speak. Any ideas?
NC has one of the fastest growing illegal immigration population (est. 390,000 and presumably growing) and the only state with that kind of problem that currently has no illegal immigration court. They've already agreed to build one in Charlotte as they've been bussing them down to Atlanta. It definitely constitutes as a problem.

This story's pretty disturbing as well.

http://www.wcnc.com/news/topstories/stories/wcnc-032907-jmn-drug_ring.114127d8.html (broken link)

Old 03-30-2007, 07:23 PM

Since coming to this forum, I'm beginning to think anything other than lily-white is a problem for many Charlotteans... I can't believe some of the attitudes here. It's fine for all of us to have an opinion though. My eyeballs have just been popping out of my head from some of the stuff I've been reading in the past few days.

I think of illegal immigration from another point of view. I know our taxes wouldn't go down even if every single illegal person were deported as of tomorrow. I know illegal immigration will never stop, so I decide not to get bitter about something that will not change. People will always find their way here.

I don't see the 'average' illegal immigrant as morally devoid, because I'm willing to bet that when leaving their countries, the last thing on their minds is " -evil laugh- I get to live off of all of those wonderful free services at the expense of American taxpayers! -evil laugh again- We're all going to get drunk all day drive around and kill innocent people! Woohoo! It's all part of our little plan to take over the WORLD! ".

Come on, people, that's what you're making it sound like. You're making these people sound like the scum of the Earth because they enter the country illegally. 'The CRIMINALS'.

Did you ever think that things must be really DAMN crappy for some of these people to go through what they do in order to get here? Of course you don't. They're criminals and it doesn't matter.

Many of you who group illegal Central and South Americans all together as 'the illegals', obviously haven't met any of these people who come illegally to the US, apart from having them landscape your yards or do your roof. Or seeing them on TV. That's quite obvious.

Old 03-30-2007, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Wouldn't the fact that they're knowingly doing something *illegal*, and perpetrating this *criminal* activity in the US, make them "morally devoid" by definition?
I wouldn't say someone is morally devoid just because they enter a country illegally, no.

That'd be like calling someone immoral because they jaywalk or speed.

Old 03-30-2007, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannaCT View Post
I wouldn't say someone is morally devoid just because they enter a country illegally, no.

That'd be like calling someone immoral because they jaywalk or speed.
The illegals in the link that I posted were living off of government assistance to help deal with their wives and children. Take away the fact that they were also drug traffickers and just concentrate on the government assistance. They're not paying taxes yet living off of yours and mine. That's being morally devoid. If you've accepted any kind of service that's paid for in part by tax payers while not being one yourself, you're stealing from the system, in essence stealing from you and me, therefore that makes you morally devoid.

I have no sympathy for these people. Get rid of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration