Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 03:44 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
That may be a worldwide standard as well. (Uh oh....)
That I doubt: within Black communities especially in Africa, I suspect the markers of affluence are smooth hands and skin-----------signifying the 'leisure class'.

Old 05-22-2009, 03:58 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,633,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
That I doubt: within Black communities especially in Africa, I suspect the markers of affluence are smooth hands and skin-----------signifying the 'leisure class'.

Is a marker of affluence still obesity in Africa? (OFF TOPIC!)

Old 05-22-2009, 05:03 PM

223 posts, read 300,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
The accuracy of your knowledge is what I doubt.
BBC News | AFRICA | The heavy cost of light skin

LILYPAD is correct. Lighter features are preferred worldwide, not limited to your "White-Supremacist" Mexicans.

Old 05-22-2009, 05:55 PM

804 posts, read 1,359,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thechicano View Post
The accuracy of your knowledge is what I doubt.
BBC News | AFRICA | The heavy cost of light skin

LILYPAD is correct. Lighter features are preferred worldwide, not limited to your "White-Supremacist" Mexicans.
Maybe is because lighter features, like lighter hair or eyes color are usually carried by a recessive gene, and darker features by a dominant one. So as times goes by and generations go by the lighter features became more rare and sought after.

Understanding Genetics: Human Health and the Genome

Wonder what will happen when we can pick and choose all these features.

Old 05-22-2009, 05:59 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
now now dont be modest, americans have reputation for being the laziest across the board not to mention attitude of a skunk.
it needs to change
learning a 2nd language and culture is a good start.
let our people grow
let our laws be enforced including immigration.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:09 PM

223 posts, read 300,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
now now dont be modest, americans have reputation for being the laziest across the board not to mention attitude of a skunk.
it needs to change
learning a 2nd language and culture is a good start.
let our people grow
let our laws be enforced including immigration.
Agree with all of this.

Old 05-22-2009, 07:52 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Have we ever had a thread about Latin American racism?Perhaps later---
Anyway,some good points about learning Spanish.Would have liked to,but only because I wanted to,not because I have to.Like others,become very irritated when some illegal snaps at me and says to speak Spanish.A good friend (Anglo) speaks it fluently,and has had some interesting experiences.He has offered to teach me,so if I get a textbook and converse with him in Spanish,might pick up some of the lingo.Not a bad idea to be able to understand the opposition and not have them aware of it.
I'm sure many of you own a DVD player and buy DVD's. With many DVD's you can press the Subtitle button and watch your favorite movies with the Spanish subtitles at the bottom of the screen. It's a fun way of learning Spanish. I always have the subtitles on the bottom of my screen when watching a DVD. Learn some new words every movie.

But the important thing is to learn how to pronounce the words correctly. Otherwise they'll laugh at you for your aborted attempts. And it's a very easy language to learn how to pronounce the words.

Don't be lazy!
No seas perezoso! (pronounced: No say-ahs pear-eh-so-so!

Many times Hispanics ARE speaking English but you don't recoginize the words
as they're using their vowel sounds.

Volkswagen Jetta becomes Bolks-Wah-Hayn Hay-tah. Now! They spoke that word in English but they used their vowel sounds.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:38 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I'm sure many of you own a DVD player and buy DVD's. With many DVD's you can press the Subtitle button and watch your favorite movies with the Spanish subtitles at the bottom of the screen. It's a fun way of learning Spanish. I always have the subtitles on the bottom of my screen when watching a DVD. Learn some new words every movie.

But the important thing is to learn how to pronounce the words correctly. Otherwise they'll laugh at you for your aborted attempts. And it's a very easy language to learn how to pronounce the words.

Don't be lazy!
No seas perezoso! (pronounced: No say-ahs pear-eh-so-so!

Many times Hispanics ARE speaking English but you don't recoginize the words
as they're using their vowel sounds.

Volkswagen Jetta becomes Bolks-Wah-Hayn Hay-tah. Now! They spoke that word in English but they used their vowel sounds.
You brought up an interesting point: Arlington, Va. there are a few Spanish street names (Quintana, Quesada) and I used to pronounce 'em English style while still living there in the 1970's.

Old 05-22-2009, 09:07 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,220,958 times
Default Mucho Dinero

Once checked out the courses offered by Berlitz and Rosetta Stone;whew--expensive.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:56 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thechicano View Post
I like the threatening tone of your post. Basically insinuating "us folks" would be enslaved to the likes of you? How successful are you in life at this moment, anyway? Fantasizing much?

Well you didn't have much luck in your own country and so had to relocate over to the the USA with the American culture. Back home you likely were a lowly peon, you don't see the wealthy of Mexico coming here and calling themselves chicanos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration