Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 12:05 AM

23,217 posts, read 29,026,930 times

Advertisements

How many anti-illegals even stop to think that learning Spanish can be used as a weapon against these people?

I know enough Spanish just to irritate these people when I wish to do so. Most of them assume, rightly so, that most Americans don't know or can't speak any Spanish.

I've had immigrants for neighbors. At times, I've caught them speak English and Spanish both. Yet, when I confront them about something, like too much noise, and I address them in English, they'll say/lie: Me no speak English. Then, I'll blast them away with Spanish and you should see the look on their faces! No place to hide!

I've been in stores where if I overhear a Spanish-speaking mother talk to her child in Spanish I'll reprimand her for not speaking English, in Spanish.
The surprised looks on their faces!

Or, I'll start up a conversation with an immigrant in Spanish, just enough to find out how long they've been in this country. If they say 5 years and they can't speak any English! Oh boy! Out comes the "gun"! In Spanish: You mean you've lived here 5 years now and you can't speak anymore English!

America has a reputation for being among the laziest when it comes to learning/speaking a second language. But this is a language well-worth learning for the ant-illegals, if no one else.

How many of you anti-illegals can speak any Spanish?

Old 05-21-2009, 07:30 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,680,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
How many anti-illegals even stop to think that learning Spanish can be used as a weapon against these people?

I know enough Spanish just to irritate these people when I wish to do so. Most of them assume, rightly so, that most Americans don't know or can't speak any Spanish.

I've had immigrants for neighbors. At times, I've caught them speak English and Spanish both. Yet, when I confront them about something, like too much noise, and I address them in English, they'll say/lie: Me no speak English. Then, I'll blast them away with Spanish and you should see the look on their faces! No place to hide!

I've been in stores where if I overhear a Spanish-speaking mother talk to her child in Spanish I'll reprimand her for not speaking English, in Spanish.
The surprised looks on their faces!

Or, I'll start up a conversation with an immigrant in Spanish, just enough to find out how long they've been in this country. If they say 5 years and they can't speak any English! Oh boy! Out comes the "gun"! In Spanish: You mean you've lived here 5 years now and you can't speak anymore English!

America has a reputation for being among the laziest when it comes to learning/speaking a second language. But this is a language well-worth learning for the ant-illegals, if no one else.

How many of you anti-illegals can speak any Spanish?
Hablo bastante.

I've lived and traveled in Mexico and learned it there. That's one reason it bothers me that people who have lived here 20 years and more can't speak a word of English because that's intellectually lazy to the extreme.

I don't dislike all illegals, and even can have some sympathy to the guy whose working hard just trying to get ahead but I dislike the situation. I dislike the employers who certainly have the option of sponsoring a legal immigrant but don't want to spend the money to sponsor someone or hire an American.

I dislike some illegals a lot -- even illegals I know dislike some illegals -- like this one guy was telling me how some fellow Mexicans were trying to buy food at a taco stand here using their food stamp card and even illegals get disgusted by their paisanas having lots of babies just to keep getting more welfare handouts.

It's good to know Spanish, even to never let on you know it. You hear the "interesting" comments that many people don't realize. Many people stereotype immigrant hispanics a certain way but because they can't talk to them or know what they're saying they don't realize the racism and hostility that often exists.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:09 AM

223 posts, read 300,511 times
Ay no! They're cracking the code!

Old 05-22-2009, 08:11 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,680,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thechicano View Post
Don't worry, many of the chicanos speak some kind of language that no one can understand. No one can break the code of Spanglish.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:03 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,124,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thechicano View Post
Be very careful what you Mestizos/Chicanos wish for: if the USA ever went 'Hispanic'; the odds are quite high that us 'gabachos' will become the patrons with you folks the peons.

Just remember that Hispanic culture is White supremacist-------take a look at a telenovela then get back with us.

Again: be very careful what you 'brown pride' folks wish for.........

Old 05-22-2009, 01:00 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,221,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
just remember that Hispanic culture is White supremacist
Have we ever had a thread about Latin American racism?Perhaps later---
Anyway,some good points about learning Spanish.Would have liked to,but only because I wanted to,not because I have to.Like others,become very irritated when some illegal snaps at me and says to speak Spanish.A good friend (Anglo) speaks it fluently,and has had some interesting experiences.He has offered to teach me,so if I get a textbook and converse with him in Spanish,might pick up some of the lingo.Not a bad idea to be able to understand the opposition and not have them aware of it.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:06 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,152,085 times
Ha, I was once (many years ago) called a racist by someone in D.C. (who apparently assumed I was a redneck Texan) because I was trying to explain the concept of Spanglish.

A lot of my Hispanic friends here are often approached by illegals in Spanish and are angry when they learn that they don't know any (or much). So they see someone with brown skin and assume.

When they see me with my white skin they also assume I don't know Spanish.

I know enough to get by and like malamute, I have heard some very interesting things when they are talking about me!

Old 05-22-2009, 01:10 PM

291 posts, read 413,883 times
Barrack say we had better learn it, via la mexico lol!

Old 05-22-2009, 01:15 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,124,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Ha, I was once (many years ago) called a racist by someone in D.C. (who apparently assumed I was a redneck Texan) because I was trying to explain the concept of Spanglish.

A lot of my Hispanic friends here are often approached by illegals in Spanish and are angry when they learn that they don't know any (or much). So they see someone with brown skin and assume.

When they see me with my white skin they also assume I don't know Spanish.

I know enough to get by and like malamute, I have heard some very interesting things when they are talking about me!
Several Anglos with brown skin have also caught flak for not speaking Spanish.

In fact: some years in Tucson; an Englishman visiting there was insulted by a Cholo for the former hanging out with 'White' people. Apparently; said Brit, despite also being 'White' looked like a stereotypical Latino.

So, yes, racism cuts both ways---------never mind that most Spanish speaking la raza types shrink when addressed in Castilian Spanish by a White Spaniard due to the patron/peon cultural thing.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:32 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,221,870 times
Default Fair Latinos

Once met a man from Santa Fe that mentioned that his ancestors came to northern New Mexico from Spain in the 18th century.He said that he could barely converse with the SoCal locals and that Spanglish was garbage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration