Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: On The Subject Of Assimilation Into U.S Society, What Grade Would You Give The Hispanic Population ?
F 10 31.25%
D 10 31.25%
C 5 15.63%
B 4 12.50%
A 3 9.38%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 06:58 AM

807 posts, read 1,303,112 times

Advertisements

Since the thread stated "Hispanics", I voted "C".. mainly due to growing up and living in a heavily Hispanic area (California's Central Valley) there are many second and third generation Hispanics that have assimilated very well into American culture and very much so.. Therefore, they deserve an "A" or "B"

However, Illegal Aliens and many of the immigrants as of late haven't assimilated so well and actually expect others to assimilate to them and speak their language, these folks deserve an "F" period!

Old 06-12-2009, 07:17 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
My point still stands. Regardless, this is what it WAS. Thus, we are seeing the same patterns. They are now in third or fourth generation (germans and italians). I'm not German. It does take time.
First US born generation here-----------and, I speak English only.

Old 06-12-2009, 07:40 AM

804 posts, read 1,360,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
First US born generation here-----------and, I speak English only.
And you say it like it's something to be proud of. You should be ashamed that you do not speak the language of your parents as well.

Where did your family come from? What language do they speak? And why do you think is so good that a great part of their culture was lost on you?

Old 06-12-2009, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post
And you say it like it's something to be proud of. You should be ashamed that you do not speak the language of your parents as well.

Where did your family come from? What language do they speak? And why do you think is so good that a great part of their culture was lost on you?
Excuse me?

I self identify as an American---------and am quite proud of that.

My mother is/was a generic Anglo White of (probably) 100% English/Irish lineage and my father is a legal immigrant from Hungary.

Face it: I perceive Hungarians as just as foreign as Mexicans or any other non English speaking group.

On the off chance I had to live in another nation: it would definitely be either Australia or New Zealand

Final point: I scrapped my original Hungarian name for several reasons in favor of an Anglo-Saxon one. My original name was as 'ethnic' sounding as Barack Obama's-------------to the point it sounded silly for a Nordic White person. Yes; my original surname could be Italian, Arabic, E Indian, or even Spanish as well as Hungarian.

Old 06-12-2009, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Excuse me?

I self identify as an American---------and am quite proud of that.

My mother is/was a generic Anglo White of (probably) 100% English/Irish lineage and my father is a legal immigrant from Hungary.

Face it: I perceive Hungarians as just as foreign as Mexicans or any other non English speaking group.

On the off chance I had to live in another nation: it would definitely be either Australia or New Zealand

Final point: I scrapped my original Hungarian name for several reasons in favor of an Anglo-Saxon one. My original name was as 'ethnic' sounding as Barack Obama's-------------to the point it sounded silly for a Nordic White person. Yes; my original surname could be Italian, Arabic, E Indian, or even Spanish as well as Hungarian.
It is a shame that you have only kept with half of your heritage. You do not know your father's tongue. And you changed your name because you think it's silly for a Nordic White to have an ethnic name, now that's just sad. Did the other kids in kindergarten pick on you because of your 'ethnic' sounding name or something like that?

Old 06-12-2009, 08:29 AM

3,712 posts, read 6,478,559 times
Quote:

As difficult as it may be for you to believe, maybe he is happy being an American and sees no need for your Global Tribal Village mumbo-jumbo.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
As difficult as it may be for you to believe, maybe he is happy being an American and sees no need for your Global Tribal Village mumbo-jumbo.
That too.

Side note: looking at the invasion by those illegal aliens losers has caused me to respect my ethnicity; American*, of course more and more---------to the point I now understand in my gut what the Greatest Generation dealt with during WW II.

*Despite us of being different ancestral races/ethnicities---------I perceive Benicar, you, 1ATP, APJ, macmeal, jjwebster, JDubsMom, bipolarpunk, and many others here as MY 'raza'.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:06 AM

Quote:
That too.

Side note: looking at the invasion by those illegal aliens losers has caused me to respect my ethnicity; American*, of course more and more---------to the point I now understand in my gut what the Greatest Generation dealt with during WW II.

*Despite us of being different ancestral races/ethnicities---------I perceive Benicar, you, 1ATP, APJ, macmeal, jjwebster, JDibsMom, bipolarpunk, and many otheres here as MY 'raza'.
What about the people who support legalization of illegal aliens, yet are U.S. citizens and their families have been for generations? Are they your raza too?

Old 06-12-2009, 09:08 AM

Quote:
What about the people who support legalization of illegal aliens, yet are U.S. citizens and their families have been for generations? Are they your raza too?
Nope: what you described are traitors IMHO.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Nope: what you described are traitors IMHO.
So people who do not agree with your political views are traitors? I would personally call it an insult if you consider me your "raza".

I also find it funny that you call them your raza, where I come from the word "raza" is generally only used for animals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration