Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 01:29 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,145,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktalley View Post
It sounds like you discribing russians
And some Hungarians as well.

Note I am 1/2 Hungarian (my father immigrated legally here in 1951) but look like a stereotypical Nordic Viking whereas a friend of mine; who is either half or full Hungarian lineage looks Mestizo (slanted eyes with the folds, hugh cheekbones, etc).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 04:09 PM

1,744 posts, read 7,262,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Apparently; many so-called '100% Scandinavians' have up to 50% Asian heritage------look at the Icelandic singer, Bjork.

She looks part Japanese despite her denials.

DNA tells the tale.

There are Lapplanders who are Asiatic in Scandinavia, but I think you're grossly exaggerating the amount of Asian blood circulating up in the Nordland.

Old 06-01-2008, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rhino View Post
There are Lapplanders who are Asiatic in Scandinavia, but I think you're grossly exaggerating the amount of Asian blood circulating up in the Nordland.
DNA testing would tell the true tale.

What shocked is that I am apparently 100% White according to identigene.com------I would have bet $$$ that I had either American Indian or Black in at least my mother's side of the family.

Old 06-02-2008, 12:31 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,158,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
DNA testing would tell the true tale.

What shocked is that I am apparently 100% White according to identigene.com------I would have bet $$$ that I had either American Indian or Black in at least my mother's side of the family.
Hey Bear, are there any DNA tests out there that don't list Indo-European as a race? Many of these labs are run by Indians who seem to want to insert themselves as white. I'm sorry but Indians are absolutely not white. They may have caucasian blood in them, but they are not white. Even Iranians would be pushing it, although I guess they could be considered white.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:41 AM

983 posts, read 3,599,466 times
Default White Indians

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
Hey Bear, are there any DNA tests out there that don't list Indo-European as a race? Many of these labs are run by Indians who seem to want to insert themselves as white. I'm sorry but Indians are absolutely not white. They may have caucasian blood in them, but they are not white. Even Iranians would be pushing it, although I guess they could be considered white.
Few Indians are white. They are generally the exception.

Old 06-11-2008, 05:57 PM

1 posts, read 3,017 times
Hungarians are an interesting bunch. Linguistically, the language is not related to its neighbors. Culturally, it's a melting pot of some sort, with a blend of European and Turkish flavors. I suppose most of that came from its colorful history.

While visiting Budapest, I noticed that many Hungarians tend to have darker complexion, tho there were also some Nordic varieties as well. With the occupations from Ottomans and the Huns, I would not be surprised that there are strands of Turkish and Eurasian blood in the population. Perhaps this is why Hungarian women are the finest on the Continent.

Old 06-11-2008, 07:40 PM

219 posts, read 425,370 times
I have to agree with the original poster. You do see the difference when you are out of an area with a lot of illegal immigrants. Where I live is mostly white but you go to the city and what a different story! You don't really have to get out of your car you can just see the difference. And it's not a good difference!

Old 06-11-2008, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErieNomad View Post
Hungarians are an interesting bunch. Linguistically, the language is not related to its neighbors. Culturally, it's a melting pot of some sort, with a blend of European and Turkish flavors. I suppose most of that came from its colorful history.

While visiting Budapest, I noticed that many Hungarians tend to have darker complexion, tho there were also some Nordic varieties as well. With the occupations from Ottomans and the Huns, I would not be surprised that there are strands of Turkish and Eurasian blood in the population. Perhaps this is why Hungarian women are the finest on the Continent.
I met three Romanians here in the Phx area who considered themselves to be 'Hungarian'; one looked like a generic Irish/Italian mix (white skin with dark hair/yes), the second one was Nordic White and thin while the third one looked liked a stereotypical Mestizo Hispanic.

A friend of mine; who is either 1/2 or full Hungarian lineage, looks part American Indian (dark hair, high cheekbones, slanted brown eyes with the epicanthic folds and full lips, etc)-----and, is mistaken for it quite frequently. She actually looks like a Roma (Gypsy) whose ancestors hailed from India.

Myself: I am Nordic White------could not pass for a Hungarian if my life depended on it despite my father coming from Szeged/Szentes.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:44 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,561,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErieNomad View Post

I have an aunt who's Hungarian on both sides. It seems to me, if memory serves, that Hungarians ("Magyars") are related to those folks to their East, in Central Asia....and that their language is NOT part of the huge group known as "Indo-European" which extends clear from Scandinavia to India...but is part of a separate group. and this group, in Europe, ALSO includes the related languages Finnish and Turkish. They're related to each other, but NOT to most European tongues, as I recall.

AZBear may correct me if needed...

Old 06-11-2008, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I have an aunt who's Hungarian on both sides. It seems to me, if memory serves, that Hungarians ("Magyars") are related to those folks to their East, in Central Asia....and that their language is NOT part of the huge group known as "Indo-European" which extends clear from Scandinavia to India...but is part of a separate group. and this group, in Europe, ALSO includes the related languages Finnish and Turkish. They're related to each other, but NOT to most European tongues, as I recall.

AZBear may correct me if needed...
Actually; 'ethnic' Hungarians come in several varieties------much like Mexicans.

The 'Szekler' minority; of which my father is one, are closer genetically to the English/Irish/Spanish, etc. peoples than to most 'regular' Hungarians. Many of the latter are actually Mestizos.....and, that is not counting the Roma (5-10%) who have to deal with racism due to having dark skin and, more importantly, the rep of being criminals.

Hungarian Roma politician, Viktoria Mohacsi, rather East Indian looking IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration