Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 03:24 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,424,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
I recently spent a week in Erie, PA. It has a metro area population of about 200,000 but basically everyone is White (with a very small Black population). Because this is a message board and I do not have to be politically correct, I can say what I feel. I felt all warm and fuzzy in a place with basically no immigrants. I enjoyed being in a place with few LEGAL and Illegal Immigrants.

I understand the need for immigrants in our country and the many advantages they bring to our society. These are practical intellectual arguments and facts. Emotionally though, I felt a warm fuzzy feeling being in a place (Erie) where nearly everyone spoke English and looked like me. I also enjoyed seeing High School and College aged Black and White kids doing retail jobs and working in restaurants. I thought the service was better in the stores in Erie and people seemed to have less barriers between them. The whole week took me back to my youth growing up in a town with no ethnic diversity.

Now I am back home in Annandale VA where half of the population is immigrants. I find service at the stores here to be poor because of cultural and language differences and things tough for white school kids to get a part time retail job. But I see an expanding economy and population here in NVA, all due to immigrants.

But I have to say that being in Erie did take me back to the good old days.
An African classmate just moved their to work for GE. So it just got a little more diverse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 03:26 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,424,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garystear View Post
Today I found your comments about Erie, PA, my hometown, and was apalled by the statements you made about it.
First of all, and least significantly, the population of the metro area is about 280,000 and has been at or near that level for about 50 years.
More importantly, you stated that there is very little immigrant population there. That is completely 100% inaccurate. Erie has a very significant population of Polish, Italian, German, Russian and other descendants of immigrants, many as recent as 2nd generation. You stated that there is a small black population as an example of "immigrants". The City of Erie is about 20% black within the city limits, which has a total population of about 100,000. I would suggest to you that 90%+ of the black population there are not immigrants, but descendants of slaves who are from various areas in the deep south. Most of the black population originally came to Erie because it was one of the fastest growing industrial centers in the first half of the 20th century. The implication of the word "immigrant" is that the person voluntarily came to this country aspiring to a better life. I can assure you that the ancestors of the majority of Erie's present-day black population did not come to this country voluntarily.
Perhaps you meant by few "immigrants" that there are not many Hispanics in the area. While that is true, it reveals a sort of anti-Hispanic bias on your part that I would prefer not to comment on.
You stated that you felt "comfortable" there. I would have hoped you would have felt this comfort based on Erie's beautiful summer weather, its seven miles of sandy beaches on Presque Isle and its moderate cost of living rather than the absence of any particular racial group.
Somehow I don't think white immigrants are his problem.

Old 02-06-2011, 03:35 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,322,917 times
Quote:
Today I found your comments about Erie, PA, my hometown, and was apalled by the statements you made about it.
First of all, and least significantly, the population of the metro area is about 280,000 and has been at or near that level for about 50 years.
More importantly, you stated that there is very little immigrant population there. That is completely 100% inaccurate. Erie has a very significant population of Polish, Italian, German, Russian and other descendants of immigrants, many as recent as 2nd generation. You stated that there is a small black population as an example of "immigrants". The City of Erie is about 20% black within the city limits, which has a total population of about 100,000. I would suggest to you that 90%+ of the black population there are not immigrants, but descendants of slaves who are from various areas in the deep south. Most of the black population originally came to Erie because it was one of the fastest growing industrial centers in the first half of the 20th century. The implication of the word "immigrant" is that the person voluntarily came to this country aspiring to a better life. I can assure you that the ancestors of the majority of Erie's present-day black population did not come to this country voluntarily.
Perhaps you meant by few "immigrants" that there are not many Hispanics in the area. While that is true, it reveals a sort of anti-Hispanic bias on your part that I would prefer not to comment on.
You stated that you felt "comfortable" there. I would have hoped you would have felt this comfort based on Erie's beautiful summer weather, its seven miles of sandy beaches on Presque Isle and its moderate cost of living rather than the absence of any particular racial group.
What you don't get is that those European groups you mentioned were descendants of immigrants but were born here so they are not immigrants but Americans.

I don't know of anyone who is uncomfortable around Hispanic citizens per se. There is however much discomfort living around Hispanic illegal aliens as they are the majority here illegally. So this isn't about diversity but unlawful status in our country.

Old 06-05-2011, 05:06 PM

2 posts, read 2,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
What you don't get is that those European groups you mentioned were descendants of immigrants but were born here so they are not immigrants but Americans.

I don't know of anyone who is uncomfortable around Hispanic citizens per se. There is however much discomfort living around Hispanic illegal aliens as they are the majority here illegally. So this isn't about diversity but unlawful status in our country.
So you check the citizenship of any person you are near who appears to be non-citizenlike to you?
Your comment is very naive. You seem not to understand that this country has CITIZENS of all kinds, many with different appearances or accents. If you are able to detect the citizenship of anybody just by being near them, then I think you have a job waiting for you at the INS.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:38 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,322,917 times
Quote:
So you check the citizenship of any person you are near who appears to be non-citizenlike to you?
Your comment is very naive. You seem not to understand that this country has CITIZENS of all kinds, many with different appearances or accents. If you are able to detect the citizenship of anybody just by being near them, then I think you have a job waiting for you at the INS.
I never said that so what are you talking about? You might want to re-read my post instead of making things up.

I am quite aware that we have citizens from all different backgrounds. Where did I say I could detect a citizen or non-citizen by being next to them? Again, what are you talking about. Those sure weren't my words.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:37 PM

22,662 posts, read 24,610,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducter View Post
You should be clear if you are talking about immigrants or illegal immigrants.
We get too many of both legal AND ILLEGAL. Most of the legal immigrants are from some 6th world cr*phole, best for them to stay home.

Old 06-30-2013, 04:09 PM

1 posts, read 829 times
I live in Erie, Pa. and I would like to know what alternate universe of Erie this person visited? Erie is extremely diverse and is full of immigrants due to the fact that it is a refugee city!"Since the mid-1990s, the International Institute of Erie (IIE), founded in 1919, has helped with the resettlement of refugees from Bosnia, Eritrea, Ghana, Iraq, Kosovo, Liberia, Somalia, Sudan, the former Soviet Union, and Vietnam." IIE There is also a huge East Indian and other Asian countries, Middle-Eastern countries, and Eastern European (probably a lot of those "white" people you saw). Not to mention there IS a large African American population here as well! It's too bad and really sad that you are uncomfortable around other humans. I don't know why being around a bunch of white people would give you a "warm fuzzy feeling." So, you're feeling nostalgic for the good ole days of Jim Crow laws, forced segregation, and a good ole fashioned lynching? I think that You would feel more comfy right outside, South of Erie, in Waterford! There are some douchebags out here that actually fly the racist rebel flag outside their trailer homes! If you want that warm fuzzy feeling next time, go there.

Old 06-30-2013, 04:12 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,083,461 times
My grandparents were all immigrants. My parents and three older siblings were all born in Erie. I have scores of uncles, aunts and cousins there. Erie has been an immigrant center for more than 100 years. Most of its industry was built by them.

The OP is nuts.

Old 06-30-2013, 06:43 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,942,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
My grandparents were all immigrants. My parents and three older siblings were all born in Erie. I have scores of uncles, aunts and cousins there. Erie has been an immigrant center for more than 100 years. Most of its industry was built by them.

The OP is nuts.
OP is a typical RWNJ racist who probably subscribes to "small government tea party" views

Old 06-30-2013, 09:16 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,909,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
OP is a typical RWNJ racist who probably subscribes to "small government tea party" views
The OP a racist? He talked about Black AND white Americans. IMHO he probably would've counted Americans of Asian family too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration