Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 11:17 PM

640 posts, read 1,732,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc investor2 View Post
sorry but the majority in this state is made up of:

The apathetic "whatever, surf's up, i got better things to do"
the mindlessly liberal " awwww, its just like if they came thru ellis island. And the kids are soooooooo cute!!"
the illegals & past amnesty recipeints themselves "yo, that's my cousin you're blaming, homey"
the goverment industiral complex members: "i got my gov't guarnteed penison & pay, so it don't matter to me. Besides more bodies in the population mean more job opportunities for me! Wheeeeee!!!!"
and the rich, liberal landed gentry: "well as long as the reduce their co2 emmisions, it's ok for them to be here"

the remaining group of sane individuals are too busy figuring out whether they'd be better off in texas or one of the mountain west states when they finally do bail on this looney bin.

So who do you think is really going to show up for this revolution?
qft.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 01:38 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,456,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
The LA Times will never print a letter that has even a grain of truth so I would not expect yours to be published. California will continue to decay because of illegal immigration.
My letter is ONLY an email to the writers of that article, it was not sent to the "opinion" section of the paper and I don't want it to be published.

Old 07-12-2009, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
They can be found in other states.
And you are suggesting what?

That we American Citizens leave California?

You must be smoking something good because you're living in a dreamworld.

Old 07-12-2009, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post
This area is also incorrect, they not only pay taxes on services, but also on goods and property (Even if you rent you pay property taxes, you just don't see it as a separate bill). The only tax that it could be argued that they do not pay is income, and only if they work under the table or if they declare more dependants than what they have in order to avoid deductions. If they are not doing either, they are paying income taxes as well, they are just not getting to file tax return forms.
You live in podunk where?

I actually live in Los Angeles and the government DID raise taxes in order to get more money out of illegals.

Believe it or not!

Old 07-12-2009, 01:47 AM

Quote:
From the link that you provided your analysis is incorrect:
Under that definition, for someone to be classified as a "Resident Alien", they have to meet one of the two tests. Meaning they can meet the "Green Card Test" or the "Substantial Presence Test" or both.

Since it's safe to assume that most of the illegal aliens pass the "Substantial Presence Test", then their status is: "Resident Alien". Classifying them as "Non-resident Alien"s is incorrect. Again, they only have to pass one of the two tests.
No my analysis is correct.

They are using the incorrect terminology. They are non-resident aliens. When you jump the border you are here in the USA illegally. They are not "immigrant residents". PERIOD.

Old 07-12-2009, 01:54 AM

Quote:
This area is also incorrect, they not only pay taxes on services, but also on goods and property (Even if you rent you pay property taxes, you just don't see it as a separate bill). The only tax that it could be argued that they do not pay is income, and only if they work under the table or if they declare more dependants than what they have in order to avoid deductions. If they are not doing either, they are paying income taxes as well, they are just not getting to file tax return forms.
You're really attempting to stretch some kinda truth out of this aren't you?

You're wrong. Know why. YOU PAY RENT. It is up to the property manager to choose what money goes to pay taxes. NOBODY gets a receipt for paying any kind of TAX when they pay rent.

Old 07-12-2009, 02:17 AM

804 posts, read 1,360,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
You're really attempting to stretch some kinda truth out of this aren't you?

You're wrong. Know why. YOU PAY RENT. It is up to the property manager to choose what money goes to pay taxes. NOBODY gets a receipt for paying any kind of TAX when they pay rent.

Just because you don't get an itemized bill for your rent does not mean you are not paying for it. You pay the taxes. The owner takes the taxes they are going to have to pay when calculating how much rent they are going to charge you. You just do not get the tax benefits from it, the owner does.

Do you get a receipt for paying for welfare, roads, or any other government expenses? No, but you are still paying for them with your taxes.

Old 07-12-2009, 02:24 AM

804 posts, read 1,360,351 times
Quote:
No my analysis is correct.

They are using the incorrect terminology. They are non-resident aliens. When you jump the border you are here in the USA illegally. They are not "immigrant residents". PERIOD.
It does not matter where in the U.S. I am at, federal tax law is the same. And they are considered resident aliens by the I.R.S., it does not matter if they are Legal Permanent residents, here in a tourist visa, or illegal aliens.

I have been to IRS office and asked about this, they stated that their immigration status is irrelevant for that second test. My grand parents come often to my house and stay for prolonged time periods, usually over 6 months on a tourist visa. The years that they are here, I get to claim them as dependants and file as head of household instead of single.

They may not be "immigrant" residents, but the are "Resident Aliens".

Old 07-12-2009, 03:00 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times
LATimes still prints in English? I thought they'd switch to Spanish.

Old 07-12-2009, 06:25 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
Quote:
And you are suggesting what?

That we American Citizens leave California?

You must be smoking something good because you're living in a dreamworld.
When I said, "They can be found in other states.", Yes, people's "dreams" can be found in other states. What I got from ClarissaM's tirade was that she would rather live in a place where illegals weren't supported by the taxpayers.

Well, in case you didn't know, there are 49 other states in the United States, where a majority of the U.S. population lives, and while yes, some of those states support illegals just as CA does, some of them do not, and some have very few illegals at all. The idea that CA will ever be an illegal-free state is quite simply a hallucination. As long as the majority (not you, unfortunately) in CA continues to elect people that won't do anything about illegals, well, it looks like you'll either have to simply deal with it or keep on fighting.

There is a thing called "voting with your feet", and if illegals are that much of a problem for you, that might be your only option.

Thank you for not addressing your inaccurate math equation. I think you are doing yourself a huge disservice -- if the LA Times did decide to give you a valid response, that will be the first thing they point out.

BTW, I do not smoke anything, good or bad.

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration