U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-08-2009, 09:40 PM
 
33 posts, read 35,285 times
Reputation: 23

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
You know that and I know that-----------just that too many of the illegal alien apologists are hiding something hence their outrage (and fear) of being Profiled.
You have an interesting way of thought processing.

 
Old 08-08-2009, 09:44 PM
 
33 posts, read 35,285 times
Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes. In the town I grew up, there was a serial killer of woman and the police stopped and questioned my father. He thought it was good actually because he was worried about his own daughters.
Again, that was for a specific crime.
What if they stopped your father and questioned him, because he looked like someone who would be a serial killer?
 
Old 08-08-2009, 10:05 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,645,907 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynflip View Post
Again, that was for a specific crime.
What if they stopped your father and questioned him, because he looked like someone who would be a serial killer?
Not a good analogy. There are millions of illegals...most of them, in the US Southwest, from Mexico and nearby Central America. Whether we like to admit it or not, that is a 'distinction', not shared by folks from elsewhere in the world. We're talking about 'profiling' here, not arresting, convicting, or abusing...just profiling. It must NOT be much of an exact science, either, because although my wife and my kids fit the 'ethnic profile' pretty well, they've never been "pulled over" in any kind of immigration 'sweep'...which leads me to believe there must be factors beyond race or ethnicity going on in this 'profiling'.

The 'serial killer' and 'child molester' analogies don't hold water. Those are very SERIOUS, but very rare, crimes. You don't seek out these serious offenders by profiling large numbers of people. If there were hundreds of thousands of serial killers running around, most of them Norwegians and a few others Dutch, and 90% of them men, then there's no doubt at all that ALL white males would be closely "looked at"..probably questioned..and profiled....EVEN IF a small percentage of 'killers' were non-Whites, or females. In actual fact, though, there is NO such 'huge number' of killers....but there IS a huge number of illegals. SOME of them fit a 'profile', and SOMETIMES that 'profile' is used to seek them out...not ALWAYS (if it were ALWAYS, my family would be profiled)...but sometimes.

Illegal immigration is not like violent crime...but it certainly occurs in large numbers. Many times, there are both legal and illegal residents in the same family, living under one roof. ONE way to deal with these folks (who, of course, don't want to be found) is to FIND them. One way to find them is to profile. (You could, of course, send out a questionnaire...but that would have poor results).

ANOTHER way to deal with these (illegal) folks is to simply declare 'hands off' and to write off the problem as 'impossible to enforce', because it upsets people too much.

NEITHER of these methods pleases everyone, and BOTH of these methods (find them, or ignore them) cause HOWLS of protest. Take your choice...somebody is going to be upset either way.
 
Old 08-08-2009, 10:35 PM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,949,288 times
Reputation: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynflip View Post
Again, that was for a specific crime.
What if they stopped your father and questioned him, because he looked like someone who would be a serial killer?
Or what if they stopped and questioned him because the community he lives in has a long history of supporting serial killers? One can not deny that :
1. Hispanics make up 80% of all illegals.
2. That the hispanic community as a whole is supportive of illegals.
 
Old 08-09-2009, 12:09 AM
 
33 posts, read 35,285 times
Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Or what if they stopped and questioned him because the community he lives in has a long history of supporting serial killers? One can not deny that :
1. Hispanics make up 80% of all illegals.
2. That the hispanic community as a whole is supportive of illegals.
To hell with all the Hispanic-Americans who have done so much for this country. And you guys wonder why so many Hispanics are resentful. People who think like you are the reason. It's soft-racism. And I know you'll deny it all night, but that's what it is. You may not even know that is, but that's what it is.

By the way, are you also all for profiling African-Americans who commit the majority of crimes in the U.S.? Or is that different...?
 
Old 08-09-2009, 08:18 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,701,482 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynflip View Post
To hell with all the Hispanic-Americans who have done so much for this country. And you guys wonder why so many Hispanics are resentful. People who think like you are the reason. It's soft-racism. And I know you'll deny it all night, but that's what it is. You may not even know that is, but that's what it is.

By the way, are you also all for profiling African-Americans who commit the majority of crimes in the U.S.? Or is that different...?
Welcome to the real world.

Not so terribly long ago; the Irish were hassled without mercy by LE, the KKK, etc.---------never mind that most Irish, English, Scottish, Welsh, Spanish, etc. people look alike. They are almost always White.

My point being is that groups of people with known reps for being troublemakers will be hassled. I am not saying it is right but it is understandable.
 
Old 08-09-2009, 08:48 AM
 
Location: Denver
9,070 posts, read 15,516,060 times
Reputation: 5293
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Or what if they stopped and questioned him because the community he lives in has a long history of supporting serial killers? One can not deny that :
1. Hispanics make up 80% of all illegals.
2. That the hispanic community as a whole is supportive of illegals.
tinman01
Location: Pa

Says it all.

Don't like being generalized? TOUGH! (right?)
 
Old 08-09-2009, 02:53 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,645,907 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynflip View Post
To hell with all the Hispanic-Americans who have done so much for this country. And you guys wonder why so many Hispanics are resentful. People who think like you are the reason. It's soft-racism. And I know you'll deny it all night, but that's what it is. You may not even know that is, but that's what it is.

By the way, are you also all for profiling African-Americans who commit the majority of crimes in the U.S.? Or is that different...?

"Soft racism"? Not true....if it's racism to profile a group for the actions of a few, then that's racism....nothing "soft" about it. If 30% of that group is 'guilty', then perhaps the 'racism' gives way to 'simple fact of life'. But giving a racial group a 'hard time' isn't soft racism...it's RACISM.

What is 'soft racism'? That's giving a group not a 'hard time', but a 'pass'. It's saying "I realize that you're breaking the law...but 'you people' can't be held responsible. You come from places where you've never HAD a respectable law to respect, so I don't EXPECT you to understand our laws here".

Soft racism is EXCUSING an ethnic group for actions, attitudes, or habits that would be INEXCUSABLE in the general population.

Soft racism is making exceptions for people who "just don't know any better"...who "aren't LIKE us", and who therefore aren't expected to "look at things" the way "we" (?) do..(whoever 'we' may be).

Soft racism is excusing people for illegal behavior, because they were "lured" into it....because, as not-fully-autonomous, thinking adults, such 'simple' folk "can't HELP breaking the law"....and the fault is with US (the 'sophisticated' populace of the US), because we "let" them get away with it for years. 'Soft racism' is holding adults to the behavioral standards of children, due to their ethnicity.


THAT is what's meant by 'soft racism'....(in the old days, the term was called 'condescenscion'....treating people EXTRA NICE, or with EXTRA LENIENCY...or not expecting them to be 'responsible'..because of their race or ethnicity).

Hope this clears things up.

And yes, as you say, there are PLENTY of hard-working, clean-living Hispanic Americans who are totally FED UP with this ridiculous subject, and are just as 'sick and tired' of the RACISM as they are of the illegals..and who have a keen ability to differentiate between the 'racists', the 'soft racists', and those who operate from common sense and logic. Many of us could profit by their example.

Last edited by macmeal; 08-09-2009 at 03:05 PM..
 
Old 08-09-2009, 02:55 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,913,629 times
Reputation: 22174
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynflip View Post
Once again, you are having a very hard time making a distinction between cops looking for the perp in a SPECIFIC crime, and cops harassing someone because he looks like someone who would commit a crime, based on racial or ethnic features.

Why's that so hard to comprehend?
Okay - when applying for financial aid to go to college, you check the box next to "white" and you are profiled. It will be decided that you don't need financial aid, but if you check the box "hispanic" you'll be far more likely to have an all expenses paid college education.

Profiling is acceptable then?
 
Old 08-09-2009, 03:16 PM
 
16 posts, read 23,787 times
Reputation: 13
This is what you call Anglo arrogance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
"Soft racism"? Not true....if it's racism to profile a group for the actions of a few, then that's racism....nothing "soft" about it. If 30% of that group is 'guilty', then perhaps the 'racism' gives way to 'simple fact of life'. But giving a racial group a 'hard time' isn't soft racism...it's RACISM.

What is 'soft racism'? That's giving a group not a 'hard time', but a 'pass'. It's saying "I realize that you're breaking the law...but 'you people' can't be held responsible. You come from places where you've never HAD a respectable law to respect, so I don't EXPECT you to understand our laws here".

Soft racism is EXCUSING an ethnic group for actions, attitudes, or habits that would be INEXCUSABLE in the general population.

Soft racism is making exceptions for people who "just don't know any better"...who "aren't LIKE us", and who therefore aren't expected to "look at things" the way "we" (?) do..(whoever 'we' may be).

Soft racism is excusing people for illegal behavior, because they were "lured" into it....because, as not-fully-autonomous, thinking adults, such 'simple' folk "can't HELP breaking the law"....and the fault is with US (the 'sophisticated' populace of the US), because we "let" them get away with it for years. 'Soft racism' is holding adults to the behavioral standards of children, due to their ethnicity.


THAT is what's meant by 'soft racism'....(in the old days, the term was called 'condescenscion'....treating people EXTRA NICE, or with EXTRA LENIENCY...or not expecting them to be 'responsible'..because of their race or ethnicity).

Hope this clears things up.

And yes, as you say, there are PLENTY of hard-working, clean-living Hispanic Americans who are totally FED UP with this ridiculous subject, and are just as 'sick and tired' of the RACISM as they are of the illegals..and who have a keen ability to differentiate between the 'racists', the 'soft racists', and those who operate from common sense and logic. Many of us could profit by their example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top