Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: is opposing illegal immigration but supporting legal immigration anti-immigrant?
no 67 74.44%
yes 23 25.56%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 10:33 AM

394 posts, read 1,007,215 times

Advertisements

your heading question is completely different from the poll question and it caught me off guard. i voted the opposite of what i meant to
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Of course not-----------despite the best efforts of the pro illegal alien apologists to throw the 'race card'.

Frankly; the use of said race card is starting to backfire----------badly.
i'd answer the question, but my response would just echo this one.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Yes they can.
I am pro legal immigration and the diversity that comes with it. Legal immigrants take the time to follow procedure, respect our laws enough to enter legally.
I am anti-illegal immigration because illegals do not respect our laws and feel entitled to a free pass for their misdeeds. The act itself speaks volumes about their character. In short there is no such thing as an honest illegal.
another good answer

Old 08-13-2009, 10:45 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,957,974 times
I support legal immigration and would have no problems with illegals if they made halfway attempts at learning the English language and making sure their kids learned it as well. But I'm absolutely sick of looking at dual languaged signs in english/spanish and hearing customer service on the phone in english/spanish. And the fact that they dont pay taxes but EVERYONE knows our taxpayers dollars are going to fund something that benefits them. Absolutely ridiculous...

Old 08-13-2009, 11:07 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
I support legal immigration and would have no problems with illegals if they made halfway attempts at learning the English language and making sure their kids learned it as well. But I'm absolutely sick of looking at dual languaged signs in english/spanish and hearing customer service on the phone in english/spanish. And the fact that they dont pay taxes but EVERYONE knows our taxpayers dollars are going to fund something that benefits them. Absolutely ridiculous...

Interesting post. I have a LONG history with illegals, those whose parents were illegal, and have had a few illegal distant relatives. Decades ago, I was completely 'OK' with the problem; today, I have increasing doubts and have become mostly opposed to it, for a NUMBER of reasons.(not the least of whch is we've already HAD several 'final' amnesties).

Interesting that you say you'd have 'no problem' with illegals if they'd 'learn English'. While I don't agree that 'learning English' would clear up the problem, and I STILL don't want illegals continuing to come, I will admit that I HAVE, many times, on this forum, stressed the point that IF illegals gave at least THE IMPRESSION that they "cared" about America...that they "respected" local values and culture...that they were GLAD to be here, and WANTED to 'become part of' this society, A HUGE amount of the animosity directed their way would disappear. Not ALL of it....and they'd STILL be illegal...but much of the 'irritation' that's felt toward them would calm down.

Americans are, at heart, a generous people. MOST of us are willing to help anyone who asks. But when he begins to DEMAND things, we get 'testy'. When the feeling is that those who have benefitted by being here aren't 'thankful', but are resentful, then of COURSE there's going to be animosity.

Though I don't agree with you on all points, I DO agree that much of the rancor felt by illegals in regard to their 'hostile' reception in the US, is of their own making. You don't walk in to another man's country and begin to 'demand' things. That won't make you any friends.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:30 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,320,782 times
Many of them only want to become Americans because of the perks involved but they truly have no loyalty to this country. Jeez, even many Hispanic-Americans remain more loyal to Mexico than this country. We don't need citizens like that in our country. Another problem with Latinos is that they have a tribal mentality. When push comes to shove they will always stick up for their ethnic kind rather than what is best for this country or what is wrong or right.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:30 AM

50,308 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootertrash61 View Post
your heading question is completely different from the poll question and it caught me off guard. i voted the opposite of what i meant to

That was probably intentional? Or not.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:57 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,931,790 times
The POLL is a "CATCH 22"

A person can be against Illegal imigration but still allow Legal imigration at the same time not being enthusiastic about it...resulting in an over population explosion on normal available resources.

Steve

Old 08-13-2009, 12:07 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
The POLL is a "CATCH 22"

A person can be against Illegal imigration but still allow Legal imigration at the same time not being enthusiastic about it...resulting in an over population explosion on normal available resources.

Steve
Whether the individual American is 'enthused' with modern-day immigration or NOT, morally and ethically, we almost HAVE to accept it at some level. It's what this country was based on, it's why MOST of us are here today, and while we can grumble and gripe and 'slow things down', it would be hard to really make the case to ever permanently "close the door". I would, of course, like to see some sort of token push be made for new immigrants to assimilate at a reasonable rate, but can't see ever disallowing their coming here.

NO such moral dimension exists in the case of illegals, IMO. They have no moral 'hold' on us, we owe them nothing, and anything they DO get is strictly because of our generosity and kindness, not because "it's their due"....and not because "it's our tradition".

Old 08-13-2009, 12:15 PM

2,256 posts, read 6,957,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Interesting post. I have a LONG history with illegals, those whose parents were illegal, and have had a few illegal distant relatives. Decades ago, I was completely 'OK' with the problem; today, I have increasing doubts and have become mostly opposed to it, for a NUMBER of reasons.(not the least of whch is we've already HAD several 'final' amnesties).

Interesting that you say you'd have 'no problem' with illegals if they'd 'learn English'. While I don't agree that 'learning English' would clear up the problem, and I STILL don't want illegals continuing to come, I will admit that I HAVE, many times, on this forum, stressed the point that IF illegals gave at least THE IMPRESSION that they "cared" about America...that they "respected" local values and culture...that they were GLAD to be here, and WANTED to 'become part of' this society, A HUGE amount of the animosity directed their way would disappear. Not ALL of it....and they'd STILL be illegal...but much of the 'irritation' that's felt toward them would calm down.

Americans are, at heart, a generous people. MOST of us are willing to help anyone who asks. But when he begins to DEMAND things, we get 'testy'. When the feeling is that those who have benefitted by being here aren't 'thankful', but are resentful, then of COURSE there's going to be animosity.

Though I don't agree with you on all points, I DO agree that much of the rancor felt by illegals in regard to their 'hostile' reception in the US, is of their own making. You don't walk in to another man's country and begin to 'demand' things. That won't make you any friends.
Yeah I should clear up saying "no problems" with illegals...the fatty McDonalds burger must be getting to my head lol! I should've said I would have less issues with illegals if they like you said did not demand anything coming in here and if the PAID taxes. I'll always have issues with illegals...they simply do not belong period. You want to live here, do it the legal way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration