Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 09:28 AM

216 posts, read 668,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
So did you learn fluent Vietnamese to accomodate your Vietnamese waitstaff? Did you learn fluent Polish so you coud communicate with your Polish immigrant neighbors who refuse to learn English?

Should Americans learn every language of the world to accomodate all who want to come here but are incapable of ever learning our language?

That's one reason I think preference should be given to those motivated enough and capable of learning our language, otherwise Americans face more and more discrimination in employment.
My Polish immigrant neighbors don't need to do commerce with me. There are 200,000 Polish speaking people in Chicago and they do commerce with each other- banking, real estate, medicine, law, hair salons, restaurants, mortgage brokers - everything.

The Vietnamese restaurants have awesome authentic food and the patrons who dine there, are not bothered that they have to order by number. I can get by fine not learning Vietnamese because I have no dealings with Vietnamese people other than this one.

As I stated earlier, businesses all want more revenue and more market share. There are millions of Spanish speakers here; legal and illegal. As long as they purchase items and services, businesses will accommodate them.

Americans have a choice. Don't learn Spanish or learn Spanish. If not knowing Spanish becomes an obstacle in our ability to find work, then many people may be in trouble. Not knowing English limits people to work within their own ethnic communities, such as the Poles here, or never break into professional jobs.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:58 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whosez View Post
My Polish immigrant neighbors don't need to do commerce with me. There are 200,000 Polish speaking people in Chicago and they do commerce with each other- banking, real estate, medicine, law, hair salons, restaurants, mortgage brokers - everything.

The Vietnamese restaurants have awesome authentic food and the patrons who dine there, are not bothered that they have to order by number. I can get by fine not learning Vietnamese because I have no dealings with Vietnamese people other than this one.

As I stated earlier, businesses all want more revenue and more market share. There are millions of Spanish speakers here; legal and illegal. As long as they purchase items and services, businesses will accommodate them.

Americans have a choice. Don't learn Spanish or learn Spanish. If not knowing Spanish becomes an obstacle in our ability to find work, then many people may be in trouble. Not knowing English limits people to work within their own ethnic communities, such as the Poles here, or never break into professional jobs.
Again, I repeat that the reason native English speaking Americans are being discriminated in the workplace is because of the illegal alien Spanish speakers not because of Hispanic citizens. Most of them know how to speak English. This is totally unfair!

Old 04-26-2010, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Well I am not sure what to say, except that English is not an official language. Business can be conducted in some areas of America without knowing it, that has been proven with Spanish. Chinese up here in the Bay as well.

If I were a business doing work with Mexican contractors or Latin American developers, I would need to hire Spanish speakers.

I did a search a week back in another thread, and there are over 1000 jobs on Monster.com in Texas that require Spanish. These are not peon jobs either, there are Financial Analyst making 80k a year positions.
Well English speaking Americans are being discriminated against even on low paying, blue collar jobs these days in favor of Spanish speakers. English may not be our official langauge but it has been our de facto national language since its founding and most American citizens regardless of ethnicity speak it. It is our common langauge.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Money, and hope for the kids. That's it.
That's fine as long as they come here legally and that they and their children have a desire to become a part of our society rather than to be separate from it.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whosez View Post
It's often not money. Someone with limited skills and who doesn't know the language, statistically is not going to be wealthy.

The thing is that they're so poor in their own country, that living around poverty level here, is a huge improvement. It's for a better life and opportunities for their children. Things like a house not made out of clay or aluminum. Having running water and electricity and education for their children.

Some countries, like Mexico and the Philippines are so poor that not all children have the opportunity to attend school at all - and many only until they're about 12 before they have to work.

Wanting a better life is not shallow. Wanting material things in excess may be.
As I said to Mach, they still have to come here legally and part of their desire to come here should be because they want to be a part of our society rather than we just being cash cows for them.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:12 AM

Quote:
That's how you feel, and that's ok. Many do require Spanish in the mother tongue. But why does almost every store from Florida to California in the South have at least 1 Spanish speaker working there? To get the Spanish speakers money.

Companies would not be hiring Spanish speakers, if Spanish speakers were not spending money there. So it works both ways.
Those businesses are selling our country down the river to make a buck and that is why they are accomodating illegal alien Spanish speakers in their native language and the results of that are native English speaking Americans being discriminated against in their hiring practices. Are you proud of that? I'm not. Hispanic Americans for the most part know how to speak English so there is no need to cater to them in Spanish. Put two and two together here.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:16 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Those businesses are selling our country down the river to make a buck and that is why they are accomodating illegal alien Spanish speakers in their native language and the results of that are native English speaking Americans being discriminated against in their hiring practices. Are you proud of that? I'm not. Hispanic Americans for the most part know how to speak English so there is no need to cater to them in Spanish. Put two and two together here.

The point was, people come here for money and people make money of those who come here. Language doesn't really matter that much. If it did, our founding fathers would have made English the official language.

Why do you think they didn't? Try to be objective, not subjective.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:49 AM

Quote:
The point was, people come here for money and people make money of those who come here. Language doesn't really matter that much. If it did, our founding fathers would have made English the official language.

Why do you think they didn't? Try to be objective, not subjective.
Those people coming here only for the money do not make good immigrants or good citizens then. Having and using a common language to communicate does matter. Our founding fathers already knew that English was our de facto national language. Just because they didn't make it the official one is irrelevant. The point of making it official in today's world is so that we won't have the expense of printing all those government documents in foreign languages and to encourage immigrants to assimilate. Makes sense to me. No one would be arrested for speaking another language.

English deserves its rightful place along with the rest of our heritage and culture. Those who fight it have an ulterior motive.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:03 AM

216 posts, read 668,250 times
U.S. law is clear: If you run a business, you can't discriminate against any ethnic group, and that includes those ethnic groups that are likely to speak Spanish as a first (or only) language. So refusing service to those who speak Spanish solely for that reason is illegal. However, you don't have to employ Spanish speaking employees, although most businesses seem to.

I'm not proud or pleased that English speaking Americans are being discriminated against, in hiring.

I don't agree what many things American business does. Short of boycotting those businesses, I don't have any ideas on what we can do. We can try to get the laws changed, but business is powerful and they won't want to change - they want as much business as they can get and preferring to hire bilingual people is not illegal, IF they are legal citizens.

If you're refused work because you don't speak Spanish, you can tell that business that you'll never spend a dime of your money there and encourage other legal English speaking citizens to do the same. If enough people do that, it could make a difference, as long as English speaking legal citizens are the majority and ban together to start a movement. It takes work and commitment to create change. Our discussions on City Data are a good place to vent, but nothing ultimately comes out of it.

There is no easy solution to this. There are solutions, but they aren't easy.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:06 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Those people coming here only for the money do not make good immigrants or good citizens then. Having and using a common language to communicate does matter. Our founding fathers already knew that English was our de facto national language. Just because they didn't make it the official one is irrelevant. The point of making it official in today's world is so that we won't have the expense of printing all those government documents in foreign languages and to encourage immigrants to assimilate. Makes sense to me. No one would be arrested for speaking another language.

English deserves its rightful place along with the rest of our heritage and culture. Those who fight it have an ulterior motive.

Really lol? Well that's 2 today, from you and Getout...where if you get debated on something like this you automatically make the "if you disagree with my opinion, you must have a hidden agenda to takeover America!!!!" ....comment.

What's next? The "You are not a real American" line?

Do me a favor, save it for someone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration