Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 01:18 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,585,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
So, so far you all are saying a person has obligations other than personal profit and other than as a individual to consider the welfare of the nation besides personal gain?

A business has a opportunity to gain profit by hiring cheaper labor, should they hold back profit and hire someone for higher wages for the sake of the good of others and America?
Not much profit in a jail cell unless you're selling cigarettes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 01:19 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,394,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
I think those statements were probably made with the assumption that the conversation was referring to practices that fall within the law. I didn't say them, but that's my guess.

Many people making those statements consider taxes against the law of the constitution and government forcing them. They consider things like welfare taking away from their personal profit.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:24 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
The o.p. is arguing the contrarian view to be offensive, i.e. troll. People presently, of course, flout the law and do just what the o.p. feels should be made a legal practice. People flout the law and take illegal drugs of al kinds. They might wish for their drug of choice to be legalized... well, wishing hasn't made the DEA come around.

H

Old 04-29-2010, 01:25 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,585,253 times
Quote:
Many people making those statements consider taxes against the law of the constitution and government forcing them. They consider things like welfare taking away from their personal profit.
I think those people are a fringe group, just as there is a fringe group at the other extreme. I believe that most would accept that business should operate in accordance with the laws. There is, of course, some real debate about some laws.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:26 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
So far you all are missing some points on the thread.
You are flying to too far over head, if you get my meaning.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:32 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,199,083 times
Quote:
So far you all are missing some points on the thread. I am actually questioning the quotes of some conservatives that have posted the thoughts above but on different topics.

"My advancement and work is for my family, not for others"

"I don't agree with government force"

"It is not the responsibilty of a business to provide a "livable wage"

and so on

given that, why shouldn't a company be able to hire a illegal and fire a American to save profit?
Many conservatives are for being able to hire illegals. In fact, liberals are actually far more politically active on border protection and immigration reform, since their ranks are filled with the Americans losing their jobs, plus the illegals being taken advantage of.

This has actually caused a divide in conservatism ironically, because the tea sack nut bars are attempting to legalize racial profiling to eject illegal immigrants, while the standard line towing wealthy white conservative who has an illegal cleaning his toilets for $1.25 an hour is ok with the way things are.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
You are flying to too far over head, if you get my meaning.

I don't see conservatives blaming the Republican party for not enforcing laws against illegals as much as they are blaming Democrats for not enforcing to gain a voting block.

I see conservatives overall having no problem with intruding on civil rights like profiling but paying lip service to punishing business who hire.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:39 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
It is his business. He started it, he runs it. He works for his family and his needs, not for the needs of others. He didn't start a business to support others, only himself. There is no right for government to "force him". As a American working to better himself shouldn't he have the right to have "big government" stay out of his affairs like the way of having government stay out of the affair of business profit with lower taxes? Doesn't he deserve his profit?

All he owes his employees is pay for a job done. It is not his worry if the wage is a "living wage" or not. If a employee isn't satisfied then they should go work somewhere else right?

So given all that, shouldn't a business owner/ CEO be allowed to hire who he wants to profit his business the best way?

Quote:
So, so far you all are saying a person has obligations other than personal profit and other than as a individual to consider the welfare of the nation besides personal gain?

A business has a opportunity to gain profit by hiring cheaper labor, should they hold back profit and hire someone for higher wages for the sake of the good of others and America?

all I have said, is I dont care who the business person hires...illlegal, legal, male, female, gay, straight, black, blue, yellow, red, orange, white...as long as they are CONTRIBUTING TO THE SYSTEM

that is the main grief with illegals to begin with,,, because if they are not legal they cant be CONTRIBUTING to the sysyem, even though they CAN and do leach off the system.

as I have said many, many times,,, ithey problem is not illegals, its ALL people WHO work off the books....if you are not CONTRIBUTING to the system (medicre/ss/income tax etc) them you are WRONG

that's why I am FOR the "fairtax" because EVERYONE pays, ....its the same with DRUG dealers...they dont pay income tax...but they sure do BUY stuff....let's have a consumption tax and get rid of the income/payroll taxes

Old 04-29-2010, 01:43 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
I don't see conservatives blaming the Republican party for not enforcing laws against illegals as much as they are blaming Democrats for not enforcing to gain a voting block.

I see conservatives overall having no problem with intruding on civil rights like profiling but paying lip service to punishing business who hire.
who are you kidding

most TRUE conservatives want the laws enforced... but its the liberals who keep saying NO WE CANT... it MIGHT be against someones civil rights to ask them to abide by the law

Quote:
I see conservatives overall having no problem with intruding on civil rights like profiling but paying lip service to punishing business who hire
that's why we need to ENFORCE the law about no one working OFF THE BOOKS...takes care of the illegal problem along with all the (legal citizenship( crooks who are working off the books.....that's why getting rid of the federal income/payroll taxes and replaceing it with the "fair-tax" would be the best thing

Old 04-29-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
who are you kidding

most TRUE conservatives want the laws enforced... but its the liberals who keep saying NO WE CANT... it MIGHT be against someones civil rights to ask them to abide by the law

From what I have been seeing it is actually both conservatives and liberals who want it enforced. But also, it is both parties who have shrugged the issue, both because they see personal gain in keeping the problem unsolved.

I reason that companies that hire illegals and profit probably bribe politicians , and that the Democrats are attempting to construct a new voting base.

And while business do get audited, they are virtually slapped on the wrist...why? Who is stopping severe punishment being handed to business who hire?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration