Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Faced with the scenario below or one similar, do I
Close the business 28 77.78%
Hire illegal immigrants below min wage 8 22.22%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 07:30 AM

913 posts, read 872,854 times

Advertisements

so here is tghe scenario:

i buy an apple farm. the machine i use to harvest apples is damaged beyond repair in a freak accident. it's an old machine and i'm unable to afford a new one or source a used one for the money the insurance company pays me out. i'm stretched as far as i can go in terms of debt. in order for me to just break even i have to limit my picking cost to $1 per bushell. a good picker can pick a between 4-6 bushells in an hour. i therefore cannot afford to pay minimum wage. there are illegals who will pick for 80cents per bushell.

do i close the business, or do i hire illegals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 07:57 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,649,482 times
Close the business and sell it.

The person in this scenario is obviously not business savvy if they are hanging on a thread just because their mechanical picker broke down.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:01 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,950,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammbriggs View Post

i buy an apple farm. the machine i use to harvest apples is damaged beyond repair in a freak accident. it's an old machine and i'm unable to afford a new one or source a used one for the money the insurance company pays me out. i'm stretched as far as i can go in terms of debt. in order for me to just break even i have to limit my picking cost to $1 per bushell. a good picker can pick a between 4-6 bushells in an hour. i therefore cannot afford to pay minimum wage. there are illegals who will pick for 80cents per bushell.

If the option is breaking the law or not breaking the law (not paying minimum wage), then he should close his business. Otherwise he would be no better than wall street bankers.

However, I think govt. should ensure that there is an equal playing field with other countries so that the farmer can compete with other countries. There is no reason whatsoever that a farmer can't produce a perishable product and sell it in the U.S. more cheaply than produce from another country, unless the other country is subsidizing the cost of their production.

Last edited by hotair2; 11-04-2011 at 08:59 AM..

Old 11-04-2011, 08:05 AM

37,972 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:

If you cannot operate a business within our laws, then don't, it's that simple. If you need to work 12 year old children 10 hours a day, to stay in business, then you need to shut it down.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:05 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:

It's not your job to determine who is legal and who is illegal just like it's not your job to determine if your employees are murderers.

On the other hand, it's illegal to pay below minimum wage.

So you should offer minimum wages and hire whoever can do the work.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:07 AM

37,972 posts, read 22,157,422 times
BTW, doesn't this thread belong in the Illegal Immigration forum?

Old 11-04-2011, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
BTW, doesn't this thread belong in the Illegal Immigration forum?

no, because this thread is more about the damage the minimum wage does to employment

Old 11-04-2011, 08:15 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,388,757 times
Quote:

You should sell the business to someone that has a LINE OF CREDIT that can afford to replace the machinery or take on a partner and then buy them out when you turn profitable.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:17 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,623,920 times
Quote:
no, because this thread is more about the damage the minimum wage does to employment
it looks to me like the issue is not what minimum wage does to employment, but illegal immigration does to employment.

if american citizens were willing and able to pick the apples for less than minimum wage, but you couldn't hire them at wages they were willing to work for, then maybe i'd understand where you were coming from.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:18 AM

Looking at the early polling i'm not surprised we have 20% real unemployment!

bear in mind that those illegals will find jobs elsewhere, it's not like they're going to leave. also consider that i too am unemployed and anyone else who might've been employed by me is also. then consider that instead of buying apples grown in america and at least having some of the money staying here, all of it is going to go overseas to farmers in brasil or wherever they grow apples
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration