Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 07:33 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,841,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lariat View Post
America has been infected with mexicans, so spanish is needed to relay conversations during on the job.

I thumb my nose to that. I'm not learning their friggin' language because they're just here. I'm not going to please the [criminals] in any way.

Whenever I see a want ad with the request for bilingual, I don't bother.
Whos language are you not going to learn?...when did "illegal aliens" vote for a offical language?

Old 06-09-2010, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convert 54 View Post
I dont know, I think it has everything to do with illegal immigration and the expectation we should drop our ways and conform to theirs...........
Let the man speak
then you explain, what speaking a language other than english has to do with illegal immigration...use your best english grammer, and explain how it does...

Old 06-09-2010, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
It's been going on for quite some time

We need to get back to the basic's that this country
was founded on

Theodore Roosevelt's ideas on Immigrants and being an AMERICAN in 1907.

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

I did a little bit of research and I found that he did actually write this but not in 1907 it was just before he died in 1919. And he also said "Every immigrant who comes here should be required within five years to learn English or to leave the country," he said in a statement to the Kansas City Star in 1918. "English should be the only language taught or used in the public schools." He also said in 1917 in a speech he made that "It is our boast that we admit the immigrant to full fellowship and equality with the native-born. In return we demand that he shall share our undivided allegiance to the one flag which floats over all of us." Teddy Roosevelt was very big on Americanism.

From President Ronald Reagan-

Quote:
I . . . have thought of America as a place in the divine scheme of things that was set aside as a promised land . . . [A]nd the price of admission was very simple . . . Any place in the world and any person from these places; any person with the courage, with the desire to tear up their roots, to strive for freedom, to attempt and dare to live in a strange and foreign place, to travel halfway across the world was welcome here . . . I believe that God in shedding his grace on this country has always in this divine scheme of things kept an eye on our land and guided it as a promised land for these people.
You're so correct Mr. President. Truths that hold true today.
God bless America.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:59 AM

50,481 posts, read 47,219,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
then you explain, what speaking a language other than english has to do with illegal immigration...use your best english grammer, and explain how it does...
Are you up to giving us a lesson?

Old 06-09-2010, 08:31 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,335,879 times
Quote:
From President Ronald Reagan-

You're so correct Mr. President. Truths that hold true today.
God bless America.
You are really delusional if you think that Reagan meant it was ok to migrate here illegally. Legal immigrants are fine not so with illegal aliens.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Are you purposely being dense? Employments ads requiring an applicant to speak Spanish in order to get a job in this country is discriminating against native English speakers when the fact is that the reason they want a Spanish speaker is to be able to communicate with illegal aliens. As I said, most Hispanic Americans are bi-lingual so there is no reason to have to communicate with them in Spanish.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:17 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,946,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Are you purposely being dense? Employments ads requiring an applicant to speak Spanish in order to get a job in this country is discriminating against native English speakers when the fact is that the reason they want a Spanish speaker is to be able to communicate with illegal aliens. As I said, most Hispanic Americans are bi-lingual so there is no reason to have to communicate with them in Spanish.
So, would an ad for a job in this country - from Hewlett Packard for example - requiring fluent French because the job involved dealing with technical literature in French also be discriminatory?

Old 06-09-2010, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
So, would an ad for a job in this country - from Hewlett Packard for example - requiring fluent French because the job involved dealing with technical literature in French also be discriminatory?
No, that is whole different scenario. French isn't being required across this whole nation for every kind of job. It is Spanish that is being required and only to pander to the group of illegal aliens who are the majority in this country.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:26 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,946,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
No, that is whole different scenario. French isn't being required across this whole nation for every kind of job. It is Spanish that is being required and only to pander to the group of illegal aliens who are the majority in this country.
So, the requirement for Spanish itself cannot be discriminatory. It is the context in which it is being required that is discriminatory.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:16 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,974,499 times
Thank God Puerto Rico is not going to become the 51st state anytime soon, it would really complicate things as far as language issues are concerned. If that ever happens, we'll need to consult with Canadians on how they manage to deal with Québec. And for this reason is why I'm against Puerto Rico being the 51st state, it's just gonna complicate too many things for both of our people
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.