Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 02:57 AM

4 posts, read 9,376 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

So I am in my early twenties, single, and currently living in Texas, and I have recently accepted a job at a pharmaceutical company an hour north of Chicago in Waukegan. I have been looking at the surrounding areas and so far the areas are not too appealing.
Waukegan appears to be predominately Hispanic without much to do, Lake Bluff/Lake Forest seem to be the wealthier neighborhoods and thus more expensive, Gurnee seems ok, but still a bit more on the expensive side, and I haven't been able to find much about Zion, so I assume there's not much there.

I have seriously been considering moving to Pleasant Prairie/Kenosha, WI area and commuting the 25-30 minutes. What are your thoughts on the commute/income tax/standard of living/ etc. on working in IL and living in WI? Is it worth it?

Thanks!

Last edited by firsttimetraveller; 07-11-2016 at 03:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2016, 08:31 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
That is a pretty solid option.

The relative "redevelopment" that has happened in Kenosha's once industrial waterfront is much farther along than anything that has happening in the industrial towns along Illinois' stretch of Lake Michigan waterfront in Lake County. There are some fairly nice condos and rentals near Kenosha's harbor that you might consider -- HarborPark | VisitKenosha.com , as well as complexes further inland near Pleasant Prairie that are also a good value.

Technically there is the possibility of somewhat higher income tax in Wisconsin compared to Illinois, though at most levels of compensation this is not significant and when the income is from a normal wage paying job in Illinois the issue is mitigated -- https://www.revenue.wi.gov/faqs/pcs/work.html & https://www.revenue.wi.gov/pubs/pb121.pdf

Old 07-11-2016, 12:37 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,248,676 times
A lot of folks commute to Abbvie/Abbott even from as far away as the southern fringes of Milwaukee too. Cheaper housing stock there if you want to buy especially. It's an easy drive for the most part. You are much less part of the greater Chicago 'rat race' living there too. Overall more options for you at your age with no dependents/kids in school.

Don't waste your time looking at Zion either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firsttimetraveller View Post
Hey guys,

So I am in my early twenties, single, and currently living in Texas, and I have recently accepted a job at a pharmaceutical company an hour north of Chicago in Waukegan. I have been looking at the surrounding areas and so far the areas are not too appealing.
Waukegan appears to be predominately Hispanic without much to do, Lake Bluff/Lake Forest seem to be the wealthier neighborhoods and thus more expensive, Gurnee seems ok, but still a bit more on the expensive side, and I haven't been able to find much about Zion, so I assume there's not much there.

I have seriously been considering moving to Pleasant Prairie/Kenosha, WI area and commuting the 25-30 minutes. What are your thoughts on the commute/income tax/standard of living/ etc. on working in IL and living in WI? Is it worth it?

Thanks!

Old 07-11-2016, 12:58 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,082,671 times
Zion isn't a good area. Focus on southeastern WI. Property taxes are much less than IL and you don't have to deal with Illinois' financial crisis. Southeastern WI is cheaper than the Chicago suburbs also.

Old 07-12-2016, 08:40 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,416,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firsttimetraveller View Post
Hey guys,

Thanks!
Very do-able. You'll get more bang for the buck, that's for sure. If you want more of a happening downtown area in an Illinois suburb that's a short commute to Abbott, the top choice would be Libertyville. Libertyville also has Metra rail service to downtown Chicago. Libertyville's rents/costs are surely lower than Lake Forest & much of Lake Bluff as well. But if your priority is getting a large place (more square footage) at the lowest possible price with low taxes, I'd look at Wisconsin.

Old 07-13-2016, 07:26 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,422,206 times
I rode through Kenosha 2 weeks ago. The area along the lake and downtown seemed fairly happening.

Old 07-15-2016, 08:04 AM

2,568 posts, read 2,517,065 times
Vernon Hills may be an option too. Some nice apartments and condos are available, has plenty of restaurant/entertainment options, shopping, transportation and close to work! Good luck.

Old 07-16-2016, 01:51 AM

4 posts, read 9,376 times
Thanks so much! You guys answered all my questions for now.

Old 07-16-2016, 05:17 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,898,097 times
You'd be in good company. Housing in Kenosha is such it is apparently attractive for commuting to Vernon Hills or Wheeling. I've known a few who commute all the way to the loop.

Old 07-18-2016, 04:05 PM

597 posts, read 666,401 times
Also, Kenosha has Metra service to Waukegan and all the way to downtown Chicago!! I'm not sure you'd be within distance of the station when you get off in Waukegan, so I really wasn't suggesting it as a commuting option (of course it could be), but simply pointing out that if you choose Kenosha, you can get downtown Chicago (and other parts of the city) for events, shopping, cultural stuff, etc. and you have great options other than driving.

Are you at the Bur Wood Dr. facility in Waukegan or the Sheridan Road facility in North Chicago (right next to Waukegan) or somewhere else?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois