Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 05:58 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,172,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Kind Of Town View Post
The big question is how does Chicago respond to its current challenges? The current situation is reminiscent of NYC struggles back in the 70s and 80s. Population loss, rising crime, threat of higher taxes, etc. the question is how will Chicago respond? Facing these issues now will result in some short term pain but could very well be beneficial in the long term by hitting the reset button in a sense (NYC since the 70s/80s).

New York has recovered from its '70s population loss everywhere but in gentrifying neighborhoods.
I've been saying this for months!

Illinois has had ups and downs before. I'm confident we will overcome our current struggles and be stronger as a State afterwards. There are some hard lessons to be learned here and I hope you all vote YES for the independent map amendement.

Just some historical data for funsies.

1950 8,712,176 10.3%
1960 10,081,158 15.7%
1970 11,113,976 10.2%
1980 11,426,518 2.8%
1990 11,430,602 0.0%
2000 12,419,293 8.6%
2010 12,830,632 3.3%

Est. 2015 12,859,995 0.2%

We'll be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2016, 06:03 PM

1,592 posts, read 1,212,870 times
People fight tooth and nail against the truth, but these areas really are in decline. Take the train into Chicago or Philly and see if you really like the scenery. You won't, unless you like burned out buildings, the homeless, and graffiti. The natural result, people leave and move out-of-state for better areas, lower taxes, etc.

[queue the people saying it's not true]

Old 07-15-2016, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svendrell View Post
People fight tooth and nail against the truth, but these areas really are in decline. Take the train into Chicago or Philly and see if you really like the scenery. You won't, unless you like burned out buildings, the homeless, and graffiti. The natural result, people leave and move out-of-state for better areas, lower taxes, etc.

[queue the people saying it's not true]
Have you seen parts of greater NYC? Houston? Dallas? LA? Ghettos can be found throughout the U.S. If you don't think that's true, you need to get out more.

Old 07-15-2016, 06:20 PM

1,592 posts, read 1,212,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
Have you seen parts of greater NYC? Houston? Dallas? LA? Ghettos can be found throughout the U.S. If you don't think that's true, you need to get out more.
It's that same argument that all places are essentially the same. They're actually not.

Old 07-15-2016, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svendrell View Post
It's that same argument that all places are essentially the same. They're actually not.
Okay.

Old 07-21-2016, 09:32 AM

3,875 posts, read 4,699,116 times
Default Illinois has..

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
I've been saying this for months!

Illinois has had ups and downs before. I'm confident we will overcome our current struggles and be stronger as a State afterwards. There are some hard lessons to be learned here and I hope you all vote YES for the independent map amendement.

Just some historical data for funsies.

1950 8,712,176 10.3%
1960 10,081,158 15.7%
1970 11,113,976 10.2%
1980 11,426,518 2.8%
1990 11,430,602 0.0%
2000 12,419,293 8.6%
2010 12,830,632 3.3%

Est. 2015 12,859,995 0.2%

We'll be fine.
Ditto! And I have been making points similar to yours on threads all across City Data where Chicago &/or Illinois bashing has for the time being become almost like a new sport.
The inspiration for what we see on CD has come from what became common in the general media a few years ago when various news outlet, media personalities & programs decided that they had an agenda to bring to the fore that included such bashing.
As an example, I remember the disgust I felt as I watched & listened as a particular news network & their personalities hoped that Chicago would not be awarded the Olympics & then reacted with glee when the city was not chosen. I viewed it as anti-Americanism all hiding behind a political agenda. It was absolutely shameful, to put it mildly!
My input is not to suggest that we hide & ignore the problems of Chicago & of Illinois but rather to examine the nature of how & why they are attacked with such zeal & savagery & thus to give some measure of context to it.

Old 07-25-2016, 10:34 AM

1,951 posts, read 1,636,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
Ditto! And I have been making points similar to yours on threads all across City Data where Chicago &/or Illinois bashing has for the time being become almost like a new sport.
The inspiration for what we see on CD has come from what became common in the general media a few years ago when various news outlet, media personalities & programs decided that they had an agenda to bring to the fore that included such bashing.
As an example, I remember the disgust I felt as I watched & listened as a particular news network & their personalities hoped that Chicago would not be awarded the Olympics & then reacted with glee when the city was not chosen. I viewed it as anti-Americanism all hiding behind a political agenda. It was absolutely shameful, to put it mildly!
My input is not to suggest that we hide & ignore the problems of Chicago & of Illinois but rather to examine the nature of how & why they are attacked with such zeal & savagery & thus to give some measure of context to it.
I think it's more of a disconnect between what people are writing. If anyone shares the reasons they're leaving Illinois, some people automatically assume that's "Illinois bashing". That couldn't be further from the truth. The truth is more people are leaving than staying in Illinois. With that is a loss in tax revenue, in a state that's generally accepted as having the poorest financial health in the entire US.

Does that make areas of Illinois less beautiful, with 4 distinct seasons, milder summers, etc? Absolutely not. What it does is push more people out the door that aren't willing to pay the rising pricetag for what Illinois has to offer.

US Map of migration patterns using IRS/taxpayer data:
http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville...ort-shows.html

State-by-state Financial Health:
Ranking the States by Fiscal Condition 2016 Edition | Mercatus

These sources are not "anti Illinois" or "Illinois bashers". It's just that Illinois isn't favorable financially right now. When Illinois turns that around, we'll see more and more people flocking in. Until then, the OP is right. There's a major problem in Illinois.

Old 07-25-2016, 10:48 AM

2,694 posts, read 3,192,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numberfive View Post
I think it's more of a disconnect between what people are writing. If anyone shares the reasons they're leaving Illinois, some people automatically assume that's "Illinois bashing". That couldn't be further from the truth. The truth is more people are leaving than staying in Illinois. With that is a loss in tax revenue, in a state that's generally accepted as having the poorest financial health in the entire US.
I just wanted to correct one thing, and that's the part in bold. Roughly 30,000 people have left Illinois between 2014 and 2015, bringing the state's population to about 12,860,000. If more people were leaving than were staying, you'd need more than half of the state's population to pick up and walk out the door.

If you meant more people are leaving Illinois than currently moving in, that would be correct. The vast majority of the state's population is staying put though.

Old 07-25-2016, 11:38 AM

1,951 posts, read 1,636,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
I just wanted to correct one thing, and that's the part in bold. Roughly 30,000 people have left Illinois between 2014 and 2015, bringing the state's population to about 12,860,000. If more people were leaving than were staying, you'd need more than half of the state's population to pick up and walk out the door.

If you meant more people are leaving Illinois than currently moving in, that would be correct. The vast majority of the state's population is staying put though.
I thought this was about inmigration/outmigration in Illinois. If that's the case, my statement is accurate, no correction necessary.

Stating that over 6 million people left Illinois is absurd, I hope no one read it that way.

Old 07-25-2016, 12:32 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,192,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numberfive View Post
I thought this was about inmigration/outmigration in Illinois. If that's the case, my statement is accurate, no correction necessary.

Stating that over 6 million people left Illinois is absurd, I hope no one read it that way.
Gotcha. I thought you were talking about overall population levels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois