Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 11:59 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,173,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by numberfive View Post
You nailed it with the bolded part. I think more and more people are figuring that out, and less people are satisfied with that price. Hence the population declines we've been seeing in recent years.
It's not years of population decline. It's one year of an estimated loss. Again, estimates had Chicago with a substantial population gain prior to 2010 only for the official count to show a decline of 200k. Multiple posters have covered this subject. Many working professionals in Illinois have higher salaries and the COL is actually lower than the national average. GA scores lower on the COL index, but IL is more comparable to GA and TX than CA and NY in terms of COL. Trust that if GA and TX continue to experience the level of development they are currently experiencing, they will close the gap with Chicagoland. Demand = higher prices. Why does this need to be explained to so many people? If your sole concern is a low COL, you should be looking into Indiana, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Mississippi, or Alabama, not TX or GA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2016, 01:44 PM

1,951 posts, read 1,637,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
It's not years of population decline. It's one year of an estimated loss. Again, estimates had Chicago with a substantial population gain prior to 2010 only for the official count to show a decline of 200k. Multiple posters have covered this subject. Many working professionals in Illinois have higher salaries and the COL is actually lower than the national average. GA scores lower on the COL index, but IL is more comparable to GA and TX than CA and NY in terms of COL. Trust that if GA and TX continue to experience the level of development they are currently experiencing, they will close the gap with Chicagoland. Demand = higher prices. Why does this need to be explained to so many people? If your sole concern is a low COL, you should be looking into Indiana, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Mississippi, or Alabama, not TX or GA.
I must have missed these posts. Can you please provide the year-by-year population of IL, adjusted for birth/death rates? Maybe I'm mistaken here.

Old 08-07-2016, 02:19 PM

Quote:
I must have missed these posts. Can you please provide the year-by-year population of IL, adjusted for birth/death rates? Maybe I'm mistaken here.
Please direct yourself to Google. If you seriously haven't seen the data why are you posting about "years of population decline"

Old 08-07-2016, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
Please direct yourself to Google. If you seriously haven't seen the data why are you posting about "years of population decline"
What Google search terms should I use to search for the City Data posts you referenced?

Old 08-08-2016, 08:29 PM

245 posts, read 304,536 times
Default My neighborhood is jumping with life and acivities.

I live about a mile due north of Wrigley Field and the whole area is jumping with 20 somethings right out of college - with out of state plates on their cars plus we "older'" that have been living here a while.

Jogging, skate boarding, pushing strollers, walking their dogs - the whole are is jumping with life.
I hear this "moving out" business but I sure don't see it.

The bars and restaurants and local theaters are packed - 'can't get in anywhere on a weekend without a reservation. We have street fairs and music fests and downtown concerts (take the bus) - Chicago has never been more lively and I've lived here for 70 years.

Old 08-08-2016, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianstad View Post
I live about a mile due north of Wrigley Field and the whole area is jumping with 20 somethings right out of college - with out of state plates on their cars plus we "older'" that have been living here a while.

Jogging, skate boarding, pushing strollers, walking their dogs - the whole are is jumping with life.
I hear this "moving out" business but I sure don't see it.

The bars and restaurants and local theaters are packed - 'can't get in anywhere on a weekend without a reservation. We have street fairs and music fests and downtown concerts (take the bus) - Chicago has never been more lively and I've lived here for 70 years.
That's observation bias.

I don't know a single person that does crystal meth. I guess it's not a problem in America either.

Old 08-09-2016, 04:01 PM

1,068 posts, read 918,390 times
Quote:
That's observation bias.

I don't know a single person that does crystal meth. I guess it's not a problem in America either.
No it's pretty true. Just did the architecture tour in Chicago and there's so many high rises going up. Crains litter the skyline in and around me. New home starts in chicago are at 7 year highs. If you're in the right neighborhood or just next door business is booming. I've increased rent every year as landlord and this summer was my biggest increase to date in areas like Humboldt Park and Logan Square and I had 90% retention. I believe people are moving outta Illinois...but not the major hoods of Chicago.

Chicago-area housing construction at a seven-year high, study says - Chicago Tribune

Old 08-09-2016, 05:01 PM

That may be true for certain neighborhoods, but the title of this thread isn't at the neighborhood level, it's at the state level.

I wish we saw the same boom you're seeing in every city in IL.

Old 08-09-2016, 07:19 PM

Quote:
That may be true for certain neighborhoods, but the title of this thread isn't at the neighborhood level, it's at the state level.

I wish we saw the same boom you're seeing in every city in IL.
The majority of new housing starts are in Cook, Kane, and Will Counties. Lake County, Indiana was also a big gainer. This is predominately due to strict zoning regulations pushing development to the fringe (Kane/Will, IL and Lake, IN). There's development in Chicago's trendy neighborhoods and suburban Cook has pressure to urbanize, hence dense, multi-family housing around Metra stops, but any new suburban development will continue to occur along the fringe. The fact that there is construction along the fringe indicates Chicagoland is not experiencing population decline, however the gains in Chicago may not be strong enough to outpace the losses throughout the state. Remains to be seen.

Last edited by IrishIllini; 08-09-2016 at 07:34 PM..

Old 08-25-2016, 07:23 PM

383 posts, read 400,602 times
I'm one who has decided to leave. Been here 50 years. Three years and I'm out. I'm tired of living in the Madigan/Cullerton empire. Look at Detroit and you will see Illinois in a decade. Perhaps sooner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois