Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 02:03 PM

60 posts, read 173,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
If you think Illinois is expensive, just wait untilyou move to Texas.
what ? texas is cheap compare to illinois .....My brother in law sales homes out in dallas ,forth worth ,frisco etc.... i was there in june and let me tell you .....you could buy a 4,5,6 bedroom house with 2 car garage big yard with swimming pool under 3k that out here in chicago will coast you over 7k easy ....i know chicago is getting very expensiv but then again the city life is so different from being out in dallas county .....go to downtown dallas then go to michigan ave downtown chicago and you will see for your self....my 2 cents BIG DIFFERENCE OF LIVING ...texas has always been known of a cheap coast of living ...but it will get up there soon just like everything else .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 10:42 PM

19 posts, read 71,692 times
Default Ca

Went to CA.

Each time I have travel back to IL to visit, it's like running into a brick wall at 500 mph.

I love Chicago - it's my "sweet home", born and raised - and I love being in the city. I'll never go back to living in suburbia IL. Stagnant. Flat.

There's a whole world beyond IL and sadly, some people never take a chance to experience life outside the box.

Old 08-16-2008, 02:33 AM

158 posts, read 405,450 times
I moved from Illinois last January. I'm a physician. My malpractice insurance dropped from $32,000 a year to $4000 a year when I moved to Washington state. That, my friends, is money in MY pocket, not in some lawyer's pocket. Now I work part-time and make the same net annual income after expenses. Illinois is expensive and litiginous.

Old 08-16-2008, 03:04 PM

1,678 posts, read 2,546,596 times
Default Why did you move back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Moved to TN. Then moved back.
Steve-o, just saw that you moved back to IL from TN...one of the other places we are considering moving to IS Tennessee!! We now live in Southern California and want to get out of here so bad...we are considering all our options, so I'm just curious, why did you leave TN to go back to Illinois?

Old 08-16-2008, 08:45 PM

46 posts, read 210,997 times
Default kinda moved back

Moved to Colorado from illinois. Moved back(2 Indiana), after 4 years. Just decided I didn't like living in a dried up brown desert w/ thin air. Oh, and in Colorado it actually DOES snow in September, and April. It even snowd on memorial day once.

Old 08-17-2008, 04:01 PM

38 posts, read 134,512 times
I moved to South Dakota 30 years ago, liked the area, lower cost of living, no state income tax. I enjoy visiting Illinois to see family and friends but there's no way I'd ever move back. Illinois just seems overtaxed, overregulated and overpopulated, to me.

Old 08-17-2008, 09:11 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmac View Post
Steve-o, just saw that you moved back to IL from TN...one of the other places we are considering moving to IS Tennessee!! We now live in Southern California and want to get out of here so bad...we are considering all our options, so I'm just curious, why did you leave TN to go back to Illinois?
We lived in Clarksville, TN, didnt like it at all. The crime where we were at was horrible, that was one reason we moved back. Every night seemed like there was a robbery, shooting, stabbing, etc. And this was in a town with a little over 100K people in it at the time! We were packing to move back to IL and I had to run to Lowe's across town to pick up some packing supplies. Im trying to get back home and am stuck in a frickin traffic jam at 3 pm on a Tuesday??? Thats when I saw some smoke coming from up ahead. Apparently cops were doing a high-speed pursuit after some burglary suspects when they crashed and their cop car exploded, burning both of them alive inside. The suspects naturally escaped.

On top of the crime, the jobs didnt pay squat, the homes were completely crappy and the supreme definition of cookie-cutter. The soil down there is poor and crab grass seems to be the only thing that would grow at a steady rate. Bugs? Ugh. Mosquitos, flying cockroaches, black widows, mongoloid beetles, etc. Im a bug lover, but that was ridiculous. Oh, and the winters which were supposed to be "so much better than Chicago's"? Pfft. It was gray, leaf-less, mud junk. It only snowed twice, but everything shut down. I mean, even gas stations were abandoned. The army base (Ft. Campbell) shuts down!!!! What the?!?! The rest of the winter consisted of crazy temp swings. One day would be almost 70, the next only 35 and driving rain (and lots of it).

The town really didnt have much to do at all. THe mall was garbage, the downtown was semi-decent, but a ghost town after 8pm, the riverwalk area was a thug hangout (both times I went fights broke out), the schools werent great, the humidity and heat were crippling (we ran the A/C pretty much from May until late September). I could go on and on, but I think you get the point.

Oh, and Nashville is less exciting than Naperville. Im not joking.

If youre gonna go to TN, stick with Eastern TN. The scenery is gorgeous out that way.

Old 08-18-2008, 12:43 PM

3,199 posts, read 4,317,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmac View Post
one of the other places we are considering moving to IS Tennessee!!
Steve-o already answered (quite well), but I'll add this if you are going to transition from CA to TN successfully...line up a a job first,LOWER your expectations of the simplest of services and join a church

Last edited by allydriver; 08-18-2008 at 12:55 PM..

Old 08-18-2008, 02:54 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
Supernerdgirl, a poster on the Chicago forums, lived in Tennessee for several years as well. you might DM her to ask her opinions on the subject.

Old 08-18-2008, 04:03 PM

19 posts, read 36,490 times
moved for employement. Feel I have better job security where I currently am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois