U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-08-2009, 01:51 PM
 
206 posts, read 876,042 times
Reputation: 55

Advertisements

Thanks. Which direction is "downwind"? How do yo avoid that? What is the problem with the south farms?

Which area around Champaine and Urbana still have forested land? And which of these forest/farm area are safe?

How is safe is Urbana and Champaine city?

Thanks.

Last edited by wheregirl; 03-08-2009 at 02:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-09-2009, 05:11 PM
 
Location: Chicago
4,217 posts, read 5,260,516 times
Reputation: 3789
There is nothing wrong with Champaign-Urbana. It's a fine place. But to me, it just doesn't come across as collegiate as other Big Ten cities. That the university is neither adjacent to DT Champaign or DT Urbana cuts down on the college like nature. I'd say that Ann Arbor and Madison are in a class by themselves, the ultimate B10 college towns. I'd also eliminate Minneapolis and Columbus from the discussion due to their status as big cities. But among the others, I find both Bloomington and Iowa City far more collegiate that C/U with far more "personality" as well. I'm probably going out on a limb on this one (and plenty would rightfully disagree with me), but i personally think an argument can be made that Evanston (let's make that the "new" Evanston) is the best college town in state, ahead of C/U.

C/U does rate IMHO ahead of E. Lansing and certainly Lafayette/W. Lafayette. (State College is east and doesn't even belong in B10 country as far as I'm concerned).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2009, 07:21 PM
 
Location: Chicago
38,691 posts, read 82,799,305 times
Reputation: 29178
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
I'm probably going out on a limb on this one (and plenty would rightfully disagree with me), but i personally think an argument can be made that Evanston (let's make that the "new" Evanston) is the best college town in state, ahead of C/U.
Being a 10-minute L ride to the north side of Chicago sure doesn't hurt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2009, 08:31 PM
 
206 posts, read 876,042 times
Reputation: 55
You are probably right. Does the trees and space (a big deal for me) around Champaign-Urbana make up for the lack?

What is the "new" Evanston?


Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
There is nothing wrong with Champaign-Urbana. It's a fine place. But to me, it just doesn't come across as collegiate as other Big Ten cities. That the university is neither adjacent to DT Champaign or DT Urbana cuts down on the college like nature. I'd say that Ann Arbor and Madison are in a class by themselves, the ultimate B10 college towns. I'd also eliminate Minneapolis and Columbus from the discussion due to their status as big cities. But among the others, I find both Bloomington and Iowa City far more collegiate that C/U with far more "personality" as well. I'm probably going out on a limb on this one (and plenty would rightfully disagree with me), but i personally think an argument can be made that Evanston (let's make that the "new" Evanston) is the best college town in state, ahead of C/U.

C/U does rate IMHO ahead of E. Lansing and certainly Lafayette/W. Lafayette. (State College is east and doesn't even belong in B10 country as far as I'm concerned).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2009, 09:18 PM
 
Location: Chicago
4,217 posts, read 5,260,516 times
Reputation: 3789
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheregirl View Post
You are probably right. Does the trees and space (a big deal for me) around Champaign-Urbana make up for the lack?

What is the "new" Evanston?
the new Evanston is a heckuva lot more exciting with more to do near the campus than the old, staid Evanston ever was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2009, 12:20 AM
Status: "On Break" (set 10 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
81,413 posts, read 91,910,312 times
Reputation: 28071
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheregirl View Post
You are probably right. Does the trees and space (a big deal for me) around Champaign-Urbana make up for the lack?

What is the "new" Evanston?
Champaign County and the rest of central Illinois is not a heavily forested area. There are trees in town, and at the parks such as Allerton and Lake of the Woods to the west of town, Kickapoo to the east, but most of the countryside is treeless prairie with corn/soybeans growing on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2009, 09:35 AM
 
104 posts, read 484,099 times
Reputation: 91
Quote:
Thanks. Which direction is "downwind"? How do yo avoid that? What is the problem with the south farms?
Wind comes mainly from the west and southwest. The farms have pigs.

Quote:
Which area around Champaine and Urbana still have forested land? And which of these forest/farm area are safe?
The rural areas are mostly clear cut so there will not be many trees. The city of Urbana prides itself as being a "tree city". It is some kind of award they've won for having planted a large number of trees. So the city itself, particularly the older residential areas, has a good number of trees. West Urbana (between Springfield, Lincoln, Florida, and Race) is probably the most heavily wooded, but many other residential parts of the city have trees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top