Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 07:28 PM

42 posts, read 169,302 times

Advertisements

Pardon me for jumping in on this conversation. @milisawasserman- you said your DH will be working for Faurecia, correct? Assuming he will be working out of the building in Walesboro (Hway 58 or 450S), he will be located on the southern edge of the city......almost the southern edge of the county. So that will factor in to his commute time. pjstroh said that we're 20min from Greenwood, and that's true if your destination is the northern part of the city, but your DH will need to tack on at least 10-15 min to reach work everyday......and that's if traffic on I65 behaves. As the economy rebounds, the semi traffic increases, and so does your commute time.

Really, since your hubby will be working out of C-bus, there's no reason to look north for housing. Columbus is an EXCELLENT city for families with young kids- you'll be hard pressed to find a "small" city that has as much to offer as we do. Also, if my assumption of your DH's work location is correct, you will find lots of nice houses with an acre or two out in the country in the southeast part of the county....giving him about a 10-15 min commute. And, as long as you stay east of 100S (I think that's the road, anyway) you'll be in Rockcreek school district which is an excellent school with excellent ratings! Of course, I'm a little partial to this area, because that's where we live! (about 1 mile from Rockcreek and Ceraland). But hubby used to work in that same building in it's Arvinmeritor days, and it would take him about 12 min to get to work (west of us), and I would take about 12 min to get to the hospital (north of us.) So if you like quiet, country living with work and shopping close by, check out this side of the county! If you give us a price range, we can help you narrow down the best areas.

One more thing- about the flood; yes, it was a big one. Some areas were under water and the hospital was shutdown for a few months. But it was what is known as a "100 year" flood. So, statistically speaking, it shouldn't happen again in our lifetimes. If that's something that might bother you, just don't move within a mile of White River or Haw Creek and you should be fine!

Good luck to you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 08:29 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,115,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjstroh View Post
The commute time is reasonable and straight down the highway only about 20 minutes. Columbus is prone to flooding when the rains get really bad. I'm sure there are flood-safe areas but do you homework before buying real estate there. A couiple years ago the whole town was under water when we got hammered with storms
It's always weird to read outside, second-hand, accounts of things that one has lived through personally.

I was here. I have photos on my flickr website for those who are interested.

The most interesting thing about floods, is that they tend to be very very localized. Two blocks south of me, roads and basements were flooded.

Two blocks north? People were out watering their lawns. It was surreal.

I won't minimize the damage. The flood did millions worth of damage to some homes and businesses. But it certainly didn't affect the whole town.

We, personally, were without power and water for 24 hours. It sucked. It also made me more aware of emergency preparedness.

I also had friends who didn't even know what was going on! They were totally unaffected.

When buying real estate one must always practice due diligence.
Percentage-wise, many many more homes in Columbus were UNflooded than those that were flooded.

As to the commute, 20 minutes, by car, is too long for me. That's 40 minutes per day (more during accidents, road work , and bad weather) out of my life. Gone For Good. Can't buy it back.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:49 PM

16 posts, read 58,887 times
Wow- sounds like the flood was quite an event! We're no strangers to severe weather. An F-4 tornado just took out the main street of a neighboring city of which co-workers and friends of mine live and I believe 7 lives were lost. It's something you will never forget On a lighter note......I'm still leaning toward Columbus. The most important thing for our family is being as close a posible to my hubby. He travels quite a bit and it's hard doing everything by myself. So, if we're closer to him the more opportunity he will have to be involved when he is in town. Still no word on scrapbooking moms in Columbus/Greenwood???

Old 06-29-2010, 06:21 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelhuck View Post
Pardon me for jumping in on this conversation. @milisawasserman- you said your DH will be working for Faurecia, correct? Assuming he will be working out of the building in Walesboro (Hway 58 or 450S), he will be located on the southern edge of the city......almost the southern edge of the county. So that will factor in to his commute time. pjstroh said that we're 20min from Greenwood, and that's true if your destination is the northern part of the city, but your DH will need to tack on at least 10-15 min to reach work everyday......and that's if traffic on I65 behaves. As the economy rebounds, the semi traffic increases, and so does your commute time.

Really, since your hubby will be working out of C-bus, there's no reason to look north for housing. Columbus is an EXCELLENT city for families with young kids- you'll be hard pressed to find a "small" city that has as much to offer as we do. Also, if my assumption of your DH's work location is correct, you will find lots of nice houses with an acre or two out in the country in the southeast part of the county....giving him about a 10-15 min commute. And, as long as you stay east of 100S (I think that's the road, anyway) you'll be in Rockcreek school district which is an excellent school with excellent ratings! Of course, I'm a little partial to this area, because that's where we live! (about 1 mile from Rockcreek and Ceraland). But hubby used to work in that same building in it's Arvinmeritor days, and it would take him about 12 min to get to work (west of us), and I would take about 12 min to get to the hospital (north of us.) So if you like quiet, country living with work and shopping close by, check out this side of the county! If you give us a price range, we can help you narrow down the best areas.

One more thing- about the flood; yes, it was a big one. Some areas were under water and the hospital was shutdown for a few months. But it was what is known as a "100 year" flood. So, statistically speaking, it shouldn't happen again in our lifetimes. If that's something that might bother you, just don't move within a mile of White River or Haw Creek and you should be fine!

Good luck to you!
great post and GREAT recommendations!!!! Rock Creek, is indeed, a great elementary school.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:49 AM

I just got off of realtor.com and Zillow looking for houses on the East side of town. Not too much for sale. Do people tend to build out there vs buying? That might be an option. I am very interested in your school district. The good news is Hobby Lobby is located on that side of town We didn't do much looking on the East side of Columbus when we were there. We will definitely check it out next time.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:56 PM

42 posts, read 169,302 times
@milisawasserman- You're right- the east side real estate market tends to stay pretty quiet. In fact, a house up the road from me went up for sale last week, and there's already a Sale Pending sign posted. I think it's because people move out here just to be in Rockcreek school district. I want to make sure that you understand that we're talking about the (south)east side of the COUNTY, not the city. (East side of the city puts you in Clifty Creek Elem School.) But since your DH will be working outside of the main city....in the southern part of the county.... I assume that a house position out that way would be beneficial to all. Here are a couple of listings for nice, newer houses. The Zip code for the eastern part of the city and county is 47203. But these two are listed in another zip code that we kind of share with another county- 47232. It's still Bartholomew Co, and still Rockcreek school- just a different city name. These houses are in the same addition, South Hill Farms, which is right off of Hway 31. Either one of these houses would give your hubby a 10-12 min (using some country roads) commute; the kids would be less than 10 min from Rockcreek and Ceraland; and your commute time to Hobby Lobby would be about 10-12min depending on what time of day you go shopping! (Hway 31 can get kind of congested during rush hour.....current construction is trying to alleviate this.) The downside would be when it's time for middle school, your commute time there would be in the 15-20 min range, because it's in the northern part of the city (hence the name- Northside.)

12460 Willow Bend Drive, Elizabethtown, IN, 47232 - MLS #21000972 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.com®

8703 Pine Lake Court, Eilzabethtown, IN, 47232 - MLS #21026933 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.com®

If you want to go up or down in price, let me know and I can direct you to other options.

Building is also a popular option for this area. In fact, 3 different nice lots/land parcels come to mind immediately! Finding a rental out this way while you build would be a problem, though. If that's something you're interested in, I can keep my eyes open for you. (Most people just put a sign out in the yard advertising "For Rent", it seems.)

I apologize if I'm taking you way off track of what you want housing-wise for your family! It's just such a nice, quiet, friendly area out here, that I can't help but go on and on about it.

Also- to answer your scrapbooking question. I'm not a scrapbooker myself, so I'm not intimately aware of what is currently going on. But I know that there are yearly overnight scrapbooking parties and the such that take place around here, although I couldn't tell you who to contact about these trips. (I've been invited to a couple in the past, but turned down the invite.) Probably someone at Hobby Lobby could help with that- or one of our local Creative Memories reps. We also have a GREAT MOPS program. They meet twice a month for fellowship, and then two times a month you can just drop your kids off and they'll watch them for you for a couple of hours!!!!!!! I'm joining them in September....can't believe I've waited this long. I'm already planning out what to do during my kid-free hours! LOL

Old 06-29-2010, 03:26 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,115,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelhuck View Post
Pardon me for jumping in on this conversation.
Just wanted to say it's always great to get more input. Sometimes I think things are a bit tooooo quiet on the Indiana board.

It's the insider info and the "mom on the ground" reporting that makes City Data unique IMO.

You've provided some great insight for both milisawasserman and any other users who might be looking for this kind of information in the future.

Old 06-29-2010, 04:17 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times
if you go to the local realtor websites in columbus, you can search specifically for rock creek elementary school. The one that comes to mind, is Home. That will give you a good representation. Just did a quick search ... there are 6 PAGES of homes for sale in the Rock Creek district.

btw, I'm on the north side of town, but my neighbor's house is for sale

I will say this though, we columbus people are spoiled rotten when it comes to drive time. I lived in Chicago, where you had to spend an hour in the car to get anywhere. Lived in Fishers, where you spend 20-30 minutes getting anywhere and now I'm so spoiled that if I have to travel longer than 15 minutes, I question whether or not I REALLY need to go.

The one drawback, and it's only a personal preference, is that the southeast side of town doesn't have access to the people trail system. Again, it's my personal preference. I love going out and visiting my friends in E-town ... I get all my yummy beef from a farmer out there ... there are some lovely new subdivisions out there too (built, I'm sure due to Rock Creek). I'm a biker and now a runner (well, more like trotting whilst singing to myself). Rock Creek ES has a mile loop that you'll probably see me on once school starts!

I heard that Azalia recently renovated their park too!

Last edited by domergurl; 06-29-2010 at 04:49 PM..

Old 06-29-2010, 04:51 PM

5 posts, read 45,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I will say this though, we columbus people are spoiled rotten when it comes to drive time. I lived in Chicago, where you had to spend an hour in the car to get anywhere. Lived in Fishers, where you spend 20-30 minutes getting anywhere and now I'm so spoiled that if I have to travel longer than 15 minutes, I question whether or not I REALLY need to go.
Haha, so true. Even in West Lafayette, where I go to school, I feel like I spend hours in the car getting to Walmart or wherever I'm going...and I complain about the traffic, which gets me odd looks from anyone near Chicago!

Old 07-01-2010, 06:37 AM

KellHuk thanks for the links. The houses are great and in the right price range. If and when we get our house sold it will be a tough decision on where in the C-bus area we will want to be. Everyone has been so helpful and raves about so many areas of C-bus.

We don't have anything in our area like Tipton Lakes. I though it was great to have 4 miles of trails a lake to rent boats and all the other amenities they offer. I haven't seen too many posts about this area. Is it not a great as it seems
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana