Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 09:53 AM

3,406 posts, read 3,450,301 times

Advertisements

Well since my biz. Is based on more work the worse things are, work is booming... I understand them staying in michigan. One is a mother who has joint custidy and if she moves out of state she loses that. Michigan has been very anti biz. For years now. Indiana is much better. Michigan under thier new gov. Will be much better than that lib canada girl they had in there for 8 yrs. She was just like obama and it was talked about about 5 yrs ago that if they could get around her being born north of the border that she would have been pushed for prez before the chi town thug by the libs. They are doing nationally what she did to michigan right now. They love her.. Its her blue print they are using.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2011, 09:58 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,513,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0618 View Post
Well since my biz. Is based on more work the worse things are, work is booming... I understand them staying in michigan. One is a mother who has joint custidy and if she moves out of state she loses that. Michigan has been very anti biz. For years now. Indiana is much better. Michigan under thier new gov. Will be much better than that lib canada girl they had in there for 8 yrs. She was just like obama and it was talked about about 5 yrs ago that if they could get around her being born north of the border that she would have been pushed for prez before the chi town thug by the libs. They are doing nationally what she did to michigan right now. They love her.. Its her blue print they are using.
ya i have family that lives in kalamazoo and they said that joke of a governor was destroying the state and hence why Michigan lost 54k people from 2000 to 2010. I bet alot of them came to Indiana do you think so?

Old 08-20-2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Yes however i always plan for the worst and hope for the best. That way i am not screwing myself incase the worst does happen.
Alot came to indiana for same reasons as me. Close enough drive back to michigan for family. Its less than 5 hrs. Plus theres jobs here and the people are simular and big ten fans.. So us michigan people fit right in.

Old 08-20-2011, 10:11 AM

Plus hatred for notre dame and anything chicago or ohio.

Old 08-20-2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0618 View Post
Alot came to indiana for same reasons as me. Close enough drive back to michigan for family. Its less than 5 hrs. Plus theres jobs here and the people are simular and big ten fans.. So us michigan people fit right in.
lol do you have an idea how many people you knew came down to Indiana? Any family etc. Cause i know about 7 friends and family that came down here.

Old 08-20-2011, 10:41 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,103,067 times
No i was getting the following mixed up with your post
This is why I mentioned to broadripple something just seem not to connect with the post
how it got tangled up with yours is just a mistake because it was a moving thread (but my questions were for him and not yours)
I re read the entire thread from the start and there really isnt anyting about your post that would indicate me not to believe you
Below is the post

Hello, Everyone! My name is Clark Body. I am a 44 yr. old, married, African-American, father of 3 daughters, 25, 20 and 17. I have been searching for 3 years now for a place to relocate to from AR. in 2012 and I like what I have seen online so far about Cincinnati, Indy and Columbus. I am originally from Chicago, but moved to the south to take care of my Mother before she past away 5 years ago and now I am ready to get back towards the north, but not as far as Chicago because my wife's family is here. I would like to get some information on a nice (nice meaning clean and safe) area to move to in Indy so here is where I need your help:

About Us:
  • Looking for 2-3 bedroom apartment or townhouse ($600-$700)
  • I have my bachelor's in psychology (currently in 1st year Masters). I work with youth 12-20 mostly at-risk (behavior problems, abuse, potential/dropouts, etc). looking for job in public school and/or counseling service agency (cummute 15-20 mins if possible. don't mind 30 mins max)
  • My wife is a certified independent living aid (provides in home care for the elderly) whose working on her bachelors in organizational therapy.
  • 25 yr old daughter is a stay at home mom for now, but will be looking for employment as a LPN. peferably in a hospital or Clinic.
  • 20 yr old and 17 year old both college students who will be sharing a 2 bdrm apartment (Same neighborhood. doesn't mind the daily cummute to school) and looking for jobs in child daycare and retail sales respectively.
QUESTIONS:
  • What's the economy( job market, cost of living, etc.) like in Indy?
  • Do you guys have insect problems in the summer (mosquitos, spiders, gnats, etc.)?
  • Do you guys have nice cold, snowy winters (I love those)?
  • My girls are out a lot without my wife and I. Is it safe (they have their own vehicles)?
  • I had Altel service for 15 yrs now I'm with Verizon. Love my service. Does it work well in Indyy?
  • Last question, what can you tell me about electric, cable and internet (I like bundling)?
Eventhough my daughters are all grown up, we are still a pretty close-nit bunch who loves spending time together, going to movies, bowling, shopping (Mall's are our favorite), zoo, park, etc.

Ok, guys I think that's it so fire away and ask any questions you like. THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

Found it rather odd that the guy did not know about insects
did not know about winters in the midwest
and is basing his move on bundling!!!

That is why I mentioned HIS post
Just found his questions a bit odd at best
So no , I was not referring to your post it was his posting

Last edited by sunnyandcloudydays; 08-20-2011 at 10:47 AM.. Reason: outline

Old 08-20-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
No i was getting the following mixed up with your post

Below is the post

Hello, Everyone! My name is Clark Body. I am a 44 yr. old, married, African-American, father of 3 daughters, 25, 20 and 17. I have been searching for 3 years now for a place to relocate to from AR. in 2012 and I like what I have seen online so far about Cincinnati, Indy and Columbus. I am originally from Chicago, but moved to the south to take care of my Mother before she past away 5 years ago and now I am ready to get back towards the north, but not as far as Chicago because my wife's family is here. I would like to get some information on a nice (nice meaning clean and safe) area to move to in Indy so here is where I need your help:

About Us:
  • Looking for 2-3 bedroom apartment or townhouse ($600-$700)
  • I have my bachelor's in psychology (currently in 1st year Masters). I work with youth 12-20 mostly at-risk (behavior problems, abuse, potential/dropouts, etc). looking for job in public school and/or counseling service agency (cummute 15-20 mins if possible. don't mind 30 mins max)
  • My wife is a certified independent living aid (provides in home care for the elderly) whose working on her bachelors in organizational therapy.
  • 25 yr old daughter is a stay at home mom for now, but will be looking for employment as a LPN. peferably in a hospital or Clinic.
  • 20 yr old and 17 year old both college students who will be sharing a 2 bdrm apartment (Same neighborhood. doesn't mind the daily cummute to school) and looking for jobs in child daycare and retail sales respectively.
QUESTIONS:
  • What's the economy( job market, cost of living, etc.) like in Indy?
  • Do you guys have insect problems in the summer (mosquitos, spiders, gnats, etc.)?
  • Do you guys have nice cold, snowy winters (I love those)?
  • My girls are out a lot without my wife and I. Is it safe (they have their own vehicles)?
  • I had Altel service for 15 yrs now I'm with Verizon. Love my service. Does it work well in Indyy?
  • Last question, what can you tell me about electric, cable and internet (I like bundling)?
Eventhough my daughters are all grown up, we are still a pretty close-nit bunch who loves spending time together, going to movies, bowling, shopping (Mall's are our favorite), zoo, park, etc.

Ok, guys I think that's it so fire away and ask any questions you like. THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

Found it rather odd that the guy did not know about insects
did not know about winters in the midwest
and is basing his move on bundling!!!

That is why I mentioned HIS post
Just found his questions a bit odd at best
So no , I was not referring to your post it was his posting
ah well see not everyone that comes to Indy or any other midwestern city is from the Midwest. However the economy question was kinda dumb cause if Indy is the fastest growing region in the midwest and one of the fastest in the country then obiviously it has to have the best economy around.

Old 08-20-2011, 10:59 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,103,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Exactly what i am saying Chicago had 3.6M people in the city in 1950 now it has lost over 25% of that or 800k people to 2.695M in 2010.

But Msamhunter you had that right that is what i meant
I dont know why you guys show so much hatred for Chicago and the Metro area

As I stated before we have more in common between the two than differences

Indy is a great place, chicago is a great place , minneapolis great place, Detroit the same

I really think the midwest in general has a very bright future with its universities and the work ethic of the people who live here
its natural resources- look at texas they have are lacking water- water! a basic element that we all need to live let alone businesses need vast amounts in some industries
you cant decrease taxes enough if you dont have the basics

Indy is a 2 1-2 hour drive from where i live - Tinley Park
Yes its in cook county or as you say crook
I enjoyed my visit down to your city and think its a great place
The downtown was awesome with the circle and the people were friendly
Its a great place
and I have stated this many times

as far as the comments about business leaving the core areas , actually the trend is the opposite
take sara lee for example - possibly leaving the suburbs for a location back to the city.

I would think you would see the same in Indy as companies really want to go where the energy is located and the youth with the minds to invent and culture and nurture a business

Lets quit the name calling and attempt to get along if the states band together the Region as a whole can benefit and see many many jobs in the future

Old 08-20-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:

Indy is a great place, chicago is a great place , minneapolis great place, Detroit the same

I really think the midwest in general has a very bright future with its universities and the work ethic of the people who live here
its natural resources- look at texas they have are lacking water- water! a basic element that we all need to live let alone businesses need vast amounts in some industries

Its a great place

as far as the comments about business leaving the core areas , actually the trend is the opposite
take sara lee for example - possibly leaving the suburbs for a location back to the city.

I would think you would see the same in Indy as companies really want to go where the energy is located and the youth with the minds to invent and culture and nurture a business

Lets quit the name calling and attempt to get along if the states band together the Region as a whole can benefit and see many many jobs in the future
I dont hate chicago the city i hate the citizens in the city. Except for you and a couple others its just lets trash talk every other midwestern city and act like Chicago is king of the world......... As you saw i tried to end the pissing contest and yet people contiuned to talk behind my back and keep the fuel on the fire.

Edit: Also i agree with you.

Old 08-20-2011, 01:24 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,150,626 times
Quote:

Its a great place

Who said I hate Chicago? I'm a regioner by birth so all too familiar with the city. With that being said, it's beneficial for Lake and Porter counties to cooperate with Chicago, not so much for Indy as there's no benefit whatsoever from doing so nor is it the Governors job to do so. His loyalties stop at the state line until he is out of public office where he can then do whatever he wants. Chicago wants business, Indy wants business and they are going to compete for said dollars. So for business, no, they are competitors and given the chance, Chicago would bury Indianapolis without a second thought about it along with MSP, Milwaukee and any other city in its way if they had the choice. That's just business. High speed rail is something they should cooperate on as there is actual benefit to both states/areas. Business wise, they are competitors and always will be. But I don't hate Chicago, I keep everything in perspective.

A company like Sara Lee may be looking into the Loop but more and more companies are going the Amazon route and looking for the biggest handout from the state (pick any state) to do business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis