Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 07:04 PM

1 posts, read 6,185 times

Advertisements

We are planning a move to Indianapolis and we were looking for an apartment in the Lawrence/Devington area, right by E 42nd Street & N Shadeland Ave? I've heard very mixed things, just wondering if the neighborhoods ok, or not safe at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 08:32 PM

8,980 posts, read 17,294,566 times
I've stopped at the Dunkin Donuts there at 38th and Shadeland many times without issue. That's not to say I have an opinion on the area as a place to live, but I do like that DD location.

I know some people in that area, they've never had a major issue. Though, they don't live in apartments and I know little about the apartments in the area.

42nd and Post is one of the worst areas of the city as far as crime.

Old 06-18-2012, 03:13 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,481,166 times
Not too far from there on 46th was one of the highest foreclosure areas in the city. I know since a friend lived there and tried to sell her house.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:44 AM

891 posts, read 2,450,761 times
Don't live there especially in an apartment. That exact location I don't know if it is safe or not, but it isn't very nice.

Have ypou at the very least drove through the area? If not then do not live there.

Everyone's tolerance levels are different, so visit the area first.

I grew up about 10 minutes from there and I would not live there

Old 06-21-2012, 05:16 PM

170 posts, read 326,052 times
I grew up in Indianapolis and know it well. Its OK to work in that area, but not to live. Its always been that way. Almost the entire east side of Indianapolis is best avoided. It may be in your best interest to live north of there in Northern Lawrence Township, Castleton, and the Keystone at the Crossing area. All of them are actually part of Indianapolis, however. But the crime rates in those areas is lower than the city of Indianapolis as a whole. Its even better to live in the suburb of Fishers (Hamilton County). I would send you to the south side of Indianapolis in Perry Township, but the drive is a bit far.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:00 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,294,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normcrok8 View Post
I grew up in Indianapolis and know it well. Its OK to work in that area, but not to live. Its always been that way. Almost the entire east side of Indianapolis is best avoided. It may be in your best interest to live north of there in Northern Lawrence Township, Castleton, and the Keystone at the Crossing area. All of them are actually part of Indianapolis, however. But the crime rates in those areas is lower than the city of Indianapolis as a whole. Its even better to live in the suburb of Fishers (Hamilton County). I would send you to the south side of Indianapolis in Perry Township, but the drive is a bit far.
The entire east side is not as bad you think, of course, most people who know nothing about the east side love to kick it.

If someone wants to live in the 'burbs, fine. No reason to suggest an entire side of town should be avoided. Completely false.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:30 PM

780 posts, read 1,542,654 times
Lawrence is a nice area. However, I would not live near 56th and I465.

Old 06-23-2012, 04:29 AM

1 posts, read 6,062 times
Default dont move near 38th and shadeland

i used to be a homeowner there for close to 14 years. i couldnt sell my home without going under. it was horrible. everyone around me was going chapter 7 bankrupcy. i finally found a way out.

during this time i had my home broke into 2 times. 1st time they kicked in the door. the second time a family member of mine left the home and forgot to set the alarm. they tried a few times coming in the window when i wasnt home. the alarm went off. the police came and i got a bill. they came in my garage and took anything not locked and tied down. it was a horrible experiance.

i wouldnt even work in that area if you paid me. its all went completly down hill since i bought my home in the late 90's .

i know for a fact that back in the early 90's 56th and shadeland was all that. but, now its all yuck.

good luck to you

Old 06-23-2012, 09:33 AM

3,406 posts, read 3,450,974 times
When there is a strip club down the street it is ovious you dont want to live in the area

Old 02-01-2015, 10:34 AM

2 posts, read 5,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0618 View Post
When there is a strip club down the street it is ovious you dont want to live in the area
I live in an area where there is one across the street from Chuckee Cheese! As usual the crime rate here is high, especially Rape, and we have one of the highest per capita ratios of pedophiles in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis