Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 11:43 AM

24 posts, read 53,296 times

Advertisements

I have an interview for a job there at the VA. Looks like the VA is smack dab in the middle of downtown. What are the decent places to live in Indianapolis? Whats a good commute forma decent area to the VA. Salary will be about $73,000. How Real estate around there? Renting? Condo's? Hows rush hour traffic? Sorry, lots of questions. Anything you can provide would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 12:18 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,151,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maintainin View Post
I have an interview for a job there at the VA. Looks like the VA is smack dab in the middle of downtown. What are the decent places to live in Indianapolis? Whats a good commute forma decent area to the VA. Salary will be about $73,000. How Real estate around there? Renting? Condo's? Hows rush hour traffic? Sorry, lots of questions. Anything you can provide would be great!
VA is at the age of downtown on West 10th Street. As far as where to look for housing it depends on whether or not you want to walk or catch the bus. If you plan on driving, doesn't matter since you'll have to park at 30th and Lafayette Road and take the shuttle (they run shuttles all day to their parking lot out there)

Old 08-27-2012, 12:23 PM

Wow, really? So even an employee of the VA has to park there? How far is the parking from the VA?

Looking at Rent.com apts look pretty reasonable. Probably just rent at first and look at houses after I get settled in.

Old 08-27-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maintainin View Post
Wow, really? So even an employee of the VA has to park there? How far is the parking from the VA?

Looking at Rent.com apts look pretty reasonable. Probably just rent at first and look at houses after I get settled in.
VA is on 10th, their parking is on 30th and Lafayette. The shuttle is free and runs back and forth all day. I do not know if all or some of their employees have to park there, but parking is very limited around the hospitals and the VA prefers parking to be for the patients and higher ups of course.

Spring, Summer and fall, if you lived dt, say towards the northern half, you'd walk to Methodist and jump on the people move and then just walk to the VA. It shuts down in the winter.

Old 08-27-2012, 12:39 PM

4,970 posts, read 6,269,625 times
Are you going to be working at the VA Med Center or the regional offices? The Med Center is located on W. 10th Street. The regional offices are in the federal building on Pennsylvania Ave downtown.

Old 08-27-2012, 12:40 PM

I'll be at the Med Center.

Old 08-27-2012, 05:15 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,606,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
Spring, Summer and fall, if you lived dt, say towards the northern half, you'd walk to Methodist and jump on the people move and then just walk to the VA. It shuts down in the winter.
Are you sure it shuts down in the Winter? I thought I've seen it running every month.

Old 08-27-2012, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
Are you sure it shuts down in the Winter? I thought I've seen it running every month.
Sure, i thought the concrete and temperature caused an issue

Old 09-03-2012, 12:45 PM

13 posts, read 13,216 times
Lots of questions with tons of answers. Do you want to live downtown Indy? Parking sucks!
Indianapolis West side, some areas good some areas bad (crawfordsville rd.) (race track).

Stay away from East side Indianapolis (post rd).

South side Camby, very small community. Nice though. South side Greenwood area very congested.

North side I live in Fishers one of the best places to live 30 min from down town and Carmel is rated #1 2012 about 30 min to downtown. Everyone will tell you 69 sucks.. major highway to Carmel and Fishers. Its pretty congested. But it will be to the good areas. 465 is a circle. I am from a small town and all and all Indianapolis is pretty darn big.

Va Hospital is right next to where I worked Riley, so I know exactly the commute from my area (fishers) I have lived south, west, and now North. I have to say North area is the most safe and secure for me as a single female!

You are going to live nice on what you make in Indiana. Especially if your single. I have a 1 bedroom, 1 bath apt. with fireplace, washer dryer and garden tub and pay $655 in rent. I only pay electric. Safe area, no worries. Really depends on what you are looking for! Good luck to you! Hope I have helped!

Old 09-03-2012, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelastsong2day View Post
Lots of questions with tons of answers. Do you want to live downtown Indy? Parking sucks!
Indianapolis West side, some areas good some areas bad (crawfordsville rd.) (race track).

Stay away from East side Indianapolis (post rd).

South side Camby, very small community. Nice though. South side Greenwood area very congested.

North side I live in Fishers one of the best places to live 30 min from down town and Carmel is rated #1 2012 about 30 min to downtown. Everyone will tell you 69 sucks.. major highway to Carmel and Fishers. Its pretty congested. But it will be to the good areas. 465 is a circle. I am from a small town and all and all Indianapolis is pretty darn big.

Va Hospital is right next to where I worked Riley, so I know exactly the commute from my area (fishers) I have lived south, west, and now North. I have to say North area is the most safe and secure for me as a single female!

You are going to live nice on what you make in Indiana. Especially if your single. I have a 1 bedroom, 1 bath apt. with fireplace, washer dryer and garden tub and pay $655 in rent. I only pay electric. Safe area, no worries. Really depends on what you are looking for! Good luck to you! Hope I have helped!
Problem is parking at the va. Apparently, they have a few where they shuttle to and from all day.

Stout Field Parking to close - Richard L. Roudebush VAMC, Indianapolis, Indiana

I knew they had the one at 30th bit apparently have a few other places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis