Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2013, 03:30 PM

2 posts, read 9,055 times

Advertisements

Looking at a house across the street from Brookside Park on the N side. I've lived and worked downtown for awhile and am tired of paying way too much in rent so I'm trying to stay close by but live a bit cheaper and this spot is in the right area for that. I know it used to be pretty bad around that area but I heard there was a revitalization project there around 2008-09 and was wondering if it would be worth even looking into. Any advice would be welcome...
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 04:22 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times
Take this from someone who lives on the near-east side, waves the flag proudly and shamelessly for "urban" Indianapolis and all of its good and bad areas...................you are much better off south of Brookside Park than north. Much, much, much better off.

If you are going to be north of the park, your best bet is right on Brookside Parkway, and ideally, next to other people that own their houses.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:46 PM

2 posts, read 9,055 times
Yah, looks like there have been a lot of burglaries up there lately in the area I'm looking at even though it is right on Brookside Pkwy. I googled Indianapolis Brookside crime and it looks like they just had a meeting back in January about forming a crimewatch.

Old 03-11-2013, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asasser31 View Post
Yah, looks like there have been a lot of burglaries up there lately in the area I'm looking at even though it is right on Brookside Pkwy. I googled Indianapolis Brookside crime and it looks like they just had a meeting back in January about forming a crimewatch.
The neighborhood in question is Flether-Lippencott, and their tense meeting with the police came in our own neighborhood meeting. It is good that there are people who care enough to do something about, though parts of that neighborhood have slid down the toilet. Hopefully they can work together and change that.

If you (or future readers) are interested in the near-eastside, you can find affordable property on blocks that are in better shape. The standard answers are Springdale, Windsor Park, and St. Clair Place as far as cheaper options. I am in Englewood, which is roughly bounded by Washington Street, LaSalle St, Rural St, and Michigan St. It is fairly spotty as far as which blocks are better, and there are some much better than others, but we have active leadership and good people leading the charge to restore the area. Englewood is an area to consider if you want to try your hand at urban pioneering. So to, is Brookside, which is the neighborhood south of the park, north of 10th, and bounded by Rural and Sherman. I know some good folks in Brookside, and some not so good folks.

Old 01-12-2015, 12:17 PM

2 posts, read 6,783 times
Default Never Consider Moving to Brookside Avenue

I made a terrible mistake of purchasing houses on Brookside Avenue. I was told the neighborhood was growing and more homeowners were actually living in their homes, so I bought a few houses. This neighborhood is downright dangerous!!!! Don't think about leaving outdoor furniture on your porch or not securing your vehicles in a garage, nothing is safe. Heck they even stole my trash cans with my address spray painted on the side. 2nd year living there I thought okay, the worst must be over....Ha, it was just the beginning of my nightmare. My doors were kicked in, windows broken, trash in the yard. Not to mention gunshots coming from neighbors property on a regular basis. The police are SLOW to respond to complaints about anything other than a robbery in progress. They arrived within minutes when someone broke into my house as I sat on the couch. So please do yourself a favor and drive as fast as you can past BROOKSIDE Avenue. The criminals will smile in your face as they watch you leave for work and break in and rob you blind. If people smile and talk nice to you, they are doing it as long as necessary to get to know you and then ROB you!!

Old 01-13-2015, 09:47 AM

143 posts, read 237,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside Ave.--HORRIBLE View Post
I made a terrible mistake of purchasing houses on Brookside Avenue. I was told the neighborhood was growing and more homeowners were actually living in their homes, so I bought a few houses. This neighborhood is downright dangerous!!!! Don't think about leaving outdoor furniture on your porch or not securing your vehicles in a garage, nothing is safe. Heck they even stole my trash cans with my address spray painted on the side. 2nd year living there I thought okay, the worst must be over....Ha, it was just the beginning of my nightmare. My doors were kicked in, windows broken, trash in the yard. Not to mention gunshots coming from neighbors property on a regular basis. The police are SLOW to respond to complaints about anything other than a robbery in progress. They arrived within minutes when someone broke into my house as I sat on the couch. So please do yourself a favor and drive as fast as you can past BROOKSIDE Avenue. The criminals will smile in your face as they watch you leave for work and break in and rob you blind. If people smile and talk nice to you, they are doing it as long as necessary to get to know you and then ROB you!!
Seeing as how this person created their account just to post in this thread, and also bought "several houses" and doesn't appear to live in any of them (aka remote managing slumlord), I wouldn't listen to anything they have to say.

Old 01-27-2015, 06:44 AM

2 posts, read 6,783 times
So I guess this is a lovely neighborhood that you have annual block parties?? I think NOT. Google any address on the block and you will see my point is valid....troll that!!

Old 01-27-2015, 06:59 AM

Quote:
I made a terrible mistake of purchasing houses on Brookside Avenue.

So please do yourself a favor and drive as fast as you can past BROOKSIDE Avenue.
Quote:
So I guess this is a lovely neighborhood that you have annual block parties?? I think NOT. Google any address on the block and you will see my point is valid....troll that!!
Are you talking about Brookside Avenue, as in the street that runs along the railroad tracks and is not by the park; or are you talking about Brookside Parkway as in the streets that straddle the park? Which block would you like us to street view?

I am fairly risk averse anymore when it comes to urban living in Indianapolis; even I wouldn't buy a house on Brookside Ave. Brookside Parkway; I would consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis