Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 12:27 PM

24 posts, read 119,852 times

Advertisements

Kittles, Ashley Furniture, Haverty, Value City.

And where can I buy some contemperary furniture?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 12:53 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,475,039 times
A lot of people use Kittles but I have had the worst customer service in my life at their store. Vowed years ago to never enter one of their stores again.

1. They treated me like a homeless person when I walked in the store. Never mind I was going to pay cash and could furnish a whole house. So if you go, dress up and look prosperous or your service will suffer.
2. sold and delivered furniture that has so much varnish outgassing that we both had dangerous allergic reactions to it. We had to close off the room and open the windows in the winter.
3. delivered bookcases that were missing shelf supports and shelves. then told us we would have to order the missing parts. I refused to leave the warehouse until they were supplied. (they had lied and were able to walk back and get me the parts to get me to leave.

Just one delivery story.

Too bad Ayres is gone. We used them three times and both the furniture and the delivery were perfect and on time.

We now furnish with auctioned model furniture and with antique/garage sales. Got seven pieces of Ethan Allen room plan units for $200. Solid maple.

Old 01-27-2008, 01:54 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,759,299 times
Checkout Gerdt Furniture.

Old 01-27-2008, 02:53 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,720,063 times
I found that Ashley has more contemporary furniture.

Old 01-27-2008, 03:52 PM

79 posts, read 461,645 times
If you're looking for great style and quality in the Indianapolis area:

Crate & Barrel
Pottery Barn
Houseworks
Form & Function

I personally bought a "retro" style couch from Sofa Express, but I heard they are going out of business. They had some really cool styles for really good prices.. The quality isn't amazing, my next couch will be in the 1-2k range from a higher quality maker.

I've also seen some decent stuff at Haverty's & even La-z-Boy. It seems most store are carrying more contemporary/stylish furniture.

Also I must mention Midland, they have a great selection of used/antique furniture.

Old 01-28-2008, 06:24 AM

2,156 posts, read 11,150,549 times
you can also try looking around on Craigs List. There are some great deals on true quality furniture and certainly below what Kittles would charge. a relative recently found some outstanding Romweber furniture at a fraction of its value.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:09 AM
SJU

131 posts, read 722,686 times
Kittles has on outlet store off I-69 and 96th St --tons of inventory and great prices. Godby also has a good outlet store on Meridian, around 131st st (just past St Vincent hospital). Kirk Furniture is also good.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:19 AM

4 posts, read 17,250 times
Unclaimed Furniture & Mattress Warehouse is a great value find. Located at 38th St and High School Rd. Wonderful helpful staff and delivery service provided was exceptional.

Old 01-28-2008, 07:25 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,279,426 times
I bought a couch at Value City on Lafayette Road, meh, it was ok. I do not remember seeing alot of "contemporary" furniture there. The sales people and delivery people were all nice though.

Old 01-30-2008, 03:49 PM

9 posts, read 30,739 times
Ashley and Value City have basically "throw away" furniture ... you use them then put it on the curb when you are done. My Mother is an upholsterer w/20+yrs experience. Someone brought her an Ashley couch that the frame was so bad she couldn't even reupholster it.

Haverty's, Kittles and Gert has some nice stuff ... you will pay 2-3 times more, but it will last. The cheaper stuff might be ok it you don't have kids and you are not going to use it that much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis