Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 07:57 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,130,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
I'm looking out my window at sunshine and 2" of snow.
Count your blessings. Lafayette got rain, sleet and 5-7" of snow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2019, 12:02 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,619,106 times
Better to report how serious the storm is predicted to be and be wrong than to not report how serious the storm is predicted to be and then get hit with a monster storm.

Old 01-20-2019, 12:45 PM

8,981 posts, read 17,294,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Better to report how serious the storm is predicted to be and be wrong than to not report how serious the storm is predicted to be and then get hit with a monster storm.
The problem here, is that any person capable of using the internet and reading weather data could see there was at best a 20% chance the "monster" part of the storm would hit Indianapolis. The local news, in general, excluded the 20% chance and went with full on panic. They weren't educating a populace about potential danger, they were flogging everyone that would listen in to a panic. Grocery stores were a panicked disaster Friday night because of the panic needlessly being pedaled by the local news. It was over the top and unnecessary, like a lot of stuff on the news.

Old 01-20-2019, 05:01 PM

918 posts, read 1,697,861 times
LOL, reminds me of ...

Old 01-20-2019, 05:38 PM

2,245 posts, read 3,010,518 times
There's two main elements to this. Weather reporting went from a public service to a profit making enterprise for TV stations. Two, the technology has advanced to the point, that reporters can stand in front of a map with the ability to track weather phenomena in the utmost detail. In effect, they become the equivalent of a sports play-by-play announcer. With announcers competing to be the biggest showmen and drama queens.

Old 01-20-2019, 09:22 PM

146 posts, read 114,521 times
Here in upstate NY the news was all hyped up for days. We had team coverage of the governor's news briefing, live reports from the state DOT barns where all the plows are. Hotlines people can call for this and for that. Warning people to stay home etc. They were calling for 24 inches of snow possibly 30+, blizzard conditions, -40+ wind chills. Warm air was supposed to flow up from the ocean and cause some freezing rain during the storm causing power outages and impassible roads. We ended up getting 8 inches of snow, no freezing rain, and yeah it's 0 here right now at 11:15 at night, but the wind isn't blowing at all. The power is on and the roads are clear and all is well.

It's all for ratings now, and they pander to the slow people. Yeah it's cold out I'm glad the news told me to wear a hat and gloves. How long until we see reports about how to avoid having a heart attack while shoveling snow.

smfh just throw the tv out the window.

Old 01-21-2019, 06:42 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,079,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
The problem here, is that any person capable of using the internet and reading weather data could see there was at best a 20% chance the "monster" part of the storm would hit Indianapolis. The local news, in general, excluded the 20% chance and went with full on panic. They weren't educating a populace about potential danger, they were flogging everyone that would listen in to a panic. Grocery stores were a panicked disaster Friday night because of the panic needlessly being pedaled by the local news. It was over the top and unnecessary, like a lot of stuff on the news.
Agree. I sometimes wonder if these predictions of mass chaos aren't in part driven to thank the grocery stores for their ad revenue. So what if it is going to be 10 inches of snow? For a metro area, that really isn't a huge issue. Yes, it might mean people will have to take 20-60 minutes to shovel out their driveway, around their car, etc.. I get it that it one lives in the hinterlands of Rush County, they might be driving only 10, maybe 20MPH for miles on rural county roads until they hit a major highway. A handful of years ago we had a "blizzard" just after Christmas. The official warning actually came on Christmas Day. The requirements for a "blizzard" were so watered down, it was really a non-event. People were out driving, there weren't feet of snow except in wind trap areas where the wind blow snow from acres of land into one small area. Within 12-24 hours of the snow, it was basically back to normal. The plows pushed 95% of the snow off the roads, hot tires, salt, and the sun melted the rest away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadChadderson View Post
It's all for ratings now, and they pander to the slow people. Yeah it's cold out I'm glad the news told me to wear a hat and gloves. How long until we see reports about how to avoid having a heart attack while shoveling snow.

smfh just throw the tv out the window.
I don't even watch the "live" news anymore. Anymore, it is so scripted, fake, agenda driven, yes even the local stuff. If I turn on Fox or CNN, I know what to expect, but the local stations are now so scripted to be cheerleaders for certain things, I just can't stand it anymore. Plus, with my smart phone and their apps, I really don't see any reason to schedule my life around catching their live broadcast, or even DVRing the news.

I agree I think they are pandering to people who are older and slow in how they go about life. These are the traditional people who will plan their evening, morning, etc. watching whatever news channel. So hyping things up are a way to keep them tuned in. Then you have the people who just want to engage in constant on-line and in-person communication, hence the comment sections of news channel Facebook posts are usually hundreds in numbers.

Old 01-23-2019, 02:11 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,288,213 times
ditch your cable and the problem go away.

every celfone have weather app so just check on it once you wake up.

Old 01-28-2019, 08:44 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
What's amusing is that, from my three years in Indy, driving in the snow there is not that big of a deal because it's pancake flat.

I live in a hilly area of Tennessee now. If it comes a big snow, and it rarely does, there are plenty of places that are just downright treacherous with even a small amount of snow or ice accretion.

My girlfriend lived in Anderson at the time and there were quite a few times I commuted in on 69-S. It was slow going but not really dangerous.

Old 01-29-2019, 11:40 AM

4,505 posts, read 4,619,106 times
Well, did y'all get a weather warning of a monster storm this time? I heard Central Indiana got hit pretty bad. Hope everybody is safe and keeping warm.

Central Texas didn't get anything near what Central Indiana got, but it was cold here early this morning. According to the thermometer in my car, it was a bone chilling 36 degrees and let me tell ya, with that wind blasting out of the North, it felt every bit of it. It was bordering on bitter cold. It's warmed up some since then, but there's still a nip in the air.

I for one will be glad when spring finally gets here. This cold weather is for the birds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis