Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2022, 05:37 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,075,685 times

Advertisements

I know there have been some discussion on this forum over the years about IUPUI. Some folks, especially Purdue fans of the W. Lafayette campus, have said that the Purdue science degrees from IUPUI were of a lower tier vs those from W. Lafayette. I never really heard the same from the IU side, and I know some folks commented that going for a business degree in a major metro area might actually be better as it could be easier to land internships, co-ops, etc..

Well, after over fifty years of IU running IUPUI, with Purdue having some input and control here and there, the two universities have decided to go their separate ways. IU is going to call the campus IU-Indianapolis. Purdue hasn't decided on a name.

The School of Science will transfer to IU control, with the exception of computer science which will be transferred over to the School of Engineering that will say under the Purdue umbrella. IU will still have some computer based programs which will be part of their current School of Informatics.

At the press conference, Mitch Daniels refereed to the Lafayette campus as "the mother ship" which seems to indicate a lot more control of the Purdue side of things. He also mentioned wanting to have a program that would enable students who started in W. Lafayette to continue their degree in Indianapolis if they were to land an internship or co-op type job that allows them to work throughout the year. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. The plan is to have this done by fall semester 2024.

https://www.ibj.com/articles/breakin...nounced-friday
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2022, 11:42 AM

4,502 posts, read 4,607,884 times
I guess that will make Indianapolis seem more like an actual "College Town", giving it a little more clout when competing against other cities for major employers. Maybe they will come up with some really good basketball teams good enough to get them in the Mid America or Missouri Valley Conference.

Old 08-20-2022, 01:20 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times
I know Purdue is, at least for now, planning to occupy space on the present day IUPUI campus after the split happens. If I were a betting man, I'd bet that part of Purdue's plan is to establish some sort of campus apart from the future IU Indy. Perhaps somewhere like 16 Tech where they can have a presence of their own near the downtown tech ecosystem. Purdue has spent a lot of time making a bigger name for itself in Indy, establishing the Polytech high schools for example. They probably want something similar for themselves at the university level in Indy.

Old 08-21-2022, 09:46 AM

629 posts, read 408,401 times
Sounds as though the trend continues? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purdue...ity_Fort_Wayne

The "gut" that I got when this happened in 2018 was that IU was cutting back on funding, with Purdue determined to have more control commensurate with their increased share of costs. Although I have attended neither one since the split, I am an alumni from years past. From an outside perspective the IU operations appear to have since evolved into more of a vocational school, offering degrees tuned to requirements of local employers.

Of course that is no guarantee such is the plan for Indy....just the observations of a bystander.

Old 08-22-2022, 03:50 PM

918 posts, read 1,696,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I guess that will make Indianapolis seem more like an actual "College Town", giving it a little more clout when competing against other cities for major employers. Maybe they will come up with some really good basketball teams good enough to get them in the Mid America or Missouri Valley Conference.
Doesn't sound like much will change in those aspects - unless there's a plan to expand the size of campus housing i'm not aware of. Athletics will likely stay where they are today, maybe they'll just be called IU-Indianapolis Jaguars.

Old 08-24-2022, 07:00 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
When I used to work in the Indy tech scene, it was clear that Purdue CS degrees were favored over IU or IUPUI. The issue is that many companies in Indy don't pay well enough to attract top-tier talent out of Purdue.

Old 08-24-2022, 07:10 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,004,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
When I used to work in the Indy tech scene, it was clear that Purdue CS degrees were favored over IU or IUPUI. The issue is that many companies in Indy don't pay well enough to attract top-tier talent out of Purdue.
This is an interesting comment. I'm in tech (data analytics/engineering) and I feel like there are a good number of companies that will pay pretty well based on your experience. From what I can tell as long as you're not expecting a salary you'd be paid on the coasts (california, NY, etc.) you could be paid pretty well (company dependent). For what it's worth, my degree is from Ohio State so I feel like that would compare favorably to Purdue. Tech, in general though, is very competitive.

Old 08-24-2022, 10:40 AM

675 posts, read 644,417 times
Will any of this affect IUPUC? IIRC, that was initially just a commuter campus of IUPUI.

Old 08-24-2022, 11:33 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native Transplant View Post
Will any of this affect IUPUC? IIRC, that was initially just a commuter campus of IUPUI.
IUPUC will now be a regional extension of IU Indy. How specifically that is going to work as far as branding and such, that is TBD.

IU and Purdue Break Up Over IUPUI

According to Interim Chancellor Klein, IUPUC will continue to be administered as a regional education center under IU Indianapolis after 2024. The B.S. in mechanical engineering is the only program accredited through the School of Engineering and Technology and will shift to be administered by Purdue University. It is still to be determined whether or not the school will officially split or maintain the IUPUC name.

Old 08-24-2022, 06:51 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
This is an interesting comment. I'm in tech (data analytics/engineering) and I feel like there are a good number of companies that will pay pretty well based on your experience. From what I can tell as long as you're not expecting a salary you'd be paid on the coasts (california, NY, etc.) you could be paid pretty well (company dependent). For what it's worth, my degree is from Ohio State so I feel like that would compare favorably to Purdue. Tech, in general though, is very competitive.
I'm definitely not saying that it's impossible, or even hard to get hired as an IU, Butler, IUPUI grad, etc.

This has been quite a few years - I left in 2016, but our company specifically sought out Purdue grads, but at a $50k or so starting salary, those people can do better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis