Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 04:56 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,335,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacx View Post
The other thread I started did have to do with a change of scenery but part of what I'm looking for is a place where I can meet others and not be treated like a total outcast.

Indianapolis was mentioned amongst others. The reason I started this thread though was based on a reply to a totally different thread looked at that stated Indianapolis is not that great of a town unless you are a sports nut.
Do you have anything lined up with respect to employment?

I disagree with the concept that Indy is categorically a bad place for those who are not sports fans. That doesn't mean some can't see it as a bad place, but in most cases it wouldn't be b/c it's only well-suited to sports fans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 09:39 AM

423 posts, read 1,248,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post

I disagree with the concept that Indy is categorically a bad place for those who are not sports fans. That doesn't mean some can't see it as a bad place, but in most cases it wouldn't be b/c it's only well-suited to sports fans.
Legions of people would disagree with you on this. I don't remotely care about sports and still find many things desirable about Indy, as well as many characteristics I'd like to see improved. Same to be said with every other city. I would estimate that few people move to Indy over another city because of the sports culture. The diverse job market and low cost of living are far more significant attractors.

Virtually no one I knew growing up in Indy had a family where both parents also grew up in Indy. This contrasts the city from many other Midwest metros like St. Louis or Cincinnati, where families go generations back. Those other metros are only a fraction larger than they were 50 years ago (and in some cases they are actually smaller). Indianapolis is twice as large as it was back then.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:36 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,662,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
At my work, it was like a morgue the Monday after the Super Bowl. Once we got over the sadness, the talk started. In fact, the city wide depression after the Super Bowl was pretty noticeable if you were paying attention.
I know that is sure how we felt. My wife, my parents, and I already planned to take the Monday after off of work. We went to breakfast that next morning at Patachou downtown. All we could talk about was our collective depression and the "what-ifs" concerning Garcon's drop, the onsides kick, etc. Of course, we have season tickets and also travel to many away games (did not go to Miami because we went previously) so maybe we are invested more than a lot of fans. It was (and still is) just really hard to swallow. I honestly think the Colts were the better team. They just got hesitant and got outcoached. It happens and that is what is great about the NFL right now. You just never know.

Anyway, as far as this being a great sports town, it absolutely is. A lot of you are also forgetting about the great college basketball presence we have here. We have Final Fours every few years as well as first/second round and regional semi-finals and finals. We also host the Big Ten tournament every couple of years. We have world-class swimming and track and field events, and the best auto race in the world.

As was said previously, most comparable cities only have two major sports teams. Cincy has two, Nashville has two, Kansas City has two, Columbus has one, San Antonio has one, Portland has one.

Old 05-28-2010, 06:43 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,294,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
All we could talk about was our collective depression and the "what-ifs" concerning Garcon's drop, the onsides kick, etc.
That Garcon drop ranks right up there with the Harrison fumble against San Diego a few years ago in the "what-ifs" department.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:23 PM

1 posts, read 764 times
What was there to talk about. Did you watch the game at all. The Saints were a better team. They were a better team all season. Drew Brees and Sean Payton has the colts secondary so confused for a better part the the game. I bleed Blue and White and I am the first to admit that the Colts were the 2nd best team all year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirrob View Post
That's absolutely true. I went to work Monday evening right after the Colts Super Bowl loss, and I found myself pretty much the only one talking about it. No one acted like they cared. No anger, no sadness...just business as usual. Kinda surreal, actually. A HUGE difference being born a Bears fan, when even a Bears pre-season loss would be vigorously talked about the entire week. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis