Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2019, 08:35 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
There is no need to time the market. The market always goes up over time. That is all you need to know. Everything else is noise.

Just compare the stock market level now to what it was 5 years, 10 years, 20 years or 30 years ago.

Most things in life are much simpler than people are led to believe. People overthink things for no reason. Realize this and you will sleep peacefully at night without any worries.
I totally agree. And if you are in the midst of your career and your productive years, I'd say don't sweat it - just have a diversified portfolio and ride the FACT that over time, the market always goes up.

It gets a little more tricky when you are nearing retirement or trying to live on a fixed income post retirement. But even so, it is what it is. If you are only five years from retirement and just starting to save and invest - well, that's only your own fault (not talking to you specifically, BigCityDreamer). I'd still say spread your investments around of course and don't get too heavy in any one area.

I'm pretty conservative with the bulk of retirement funds but I do play with about 10 percent and I try my best not to be emotional about it - when it gets to a certain point of return, I just sell it (typically double) and move on to something else, no matter how much I "like" that company or whatever. So our growth over the years has been steady.

When the market dips down, I generally think "Bargain shopping!" LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2019, 08:41 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Everything

I suggest staying invested always and never selling (except when you need some cash).

You can never time the market successfully. If you try to do it, you’re going to lose. It is like trying to lift yourself up by your bootstraps.

Stay invested 100% at all times and keep buying more at regular intervals forever. That is all there is to it.

Right.

I think about a small stock we bought at one time. It was an emotional buy in a sense because the company bought some land from my parents and we wanted them to be successful, but it was cheap stock and so what, right? So we bought a bit of it, and the minute it doubled, we sold it. My dad was mortified, because he "believed in" the company. So he held on to his. It has now been tanked for well over a year and will probably never get back up to it's "boom time," and even if it does, so what? Move forward. We rolled the profits into something else, most of it conservative but a bit of it into something fun and crazy to watch. Right now we're a little down on that small section of it but it will probably go back up and when it does, I'm selling that small portion and investing most of it in low risk stuff and a small portion of it in something else volatile and risky and fun to gamble on.

Old 05-09-2019, 12:30 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,766,520 times
My goodness, what a comeback. Good thing I did some nibbling.

Old 05-09-2019, 12:48 PM

106,707 posts, read 108,913,061 times
i was going to commit some more dry powder but i just cancelled all the buys ...

Old 05-09-2019, 12:49 PM

I did buy some at the low today.

Old 05-09-2019, 12:52 PM

I was going to add to my funds but they can only be done at the closing price .... well tomorrow is another day ...we will likely either get a nice rally or another big drop depending on tonight’s meeting

Old 05-09-2019, 01:23 PM

13,079 posts, read 7,519,082 times
I don't like to day trade but these daily swings make day trading attractive. Maybe up my trading level covered/cash backed options or straddles. ??? -8% since peaking in early May

Old 05-09-2019, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
I was going to add to my funds but they can only be done at the closing price .... well tomorrow is another day ...we will likely either get a nice rally or another big drop depending on tonight’s meeting
That’s why I like ETF better.

Old 05-09-2019, 01:56 PM

25,449 posts, read 9,817,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
I think it will rally. Trump likes to act like he's tough, but when the plane is headed into a crash landing, he always pulls out at the last minute. It's his MO. He loves to manipulate the markets, usually for his benefit.

Old 05-09-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
That’s why I like ETF better.
I seem to get burned more often with the etf’s .. usually the last few minutes of the day see things get worse so I find more often it pays to wait until the last few minutes anyway on down days
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing