Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2019, 05:28 PM

893 posts, read 509,820 times

Advertisements

Port Pitt, how did you make 4.5% today? You said you were going short. Did you change your mind this morning?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2019, 05:29 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
For what I'm doing & willing to risk it seems the normal range of what is possible is $125k to $400k a year, but you can push it for a few million if you want to crank up the risk. From the way I understand it swing trading is more like Knish from the movie Rounders grinding it out day after day.

The main reason I even got interested in this is because my core approach position trading is only good for 3-6 months then I have to just sit there the rest of the year doing nothing. Not fun.

It seems riskier to me since some of the trades you're potentially taking are little better than 50-50 unless people just sit those ones out. But then I'd think you'd run into issues of not trading enough to let the numbers work.

+4.5% today.

I figure it isn't sustainable as we're only talking a bit over a month here so far. I suppose I could go with the build that was averaging a little under 5%, but has a win rate at almost 90% (#'s haven't been updated for a couple weeks so they're likely different now). Then again had two big days that I didn't include with the average since they threw the above off (43% day & a 51.5% day).

Looked up some basics candle pattern stuff last night, but I sort of overdid it. Now I have diagrams of 48 "workable" patterns that I'll likely never use for anything. Holy sheet there's a lot of technical crap out there. No wonder they say most people don't make money at this.

Shouldn't it get easier to short once we are in a Bear market?

Ameritrade. Got it. Thanks!

You aren’t getting 7-9% weekly or slightly under out of each trade period. If you could with any consistency you would be paid billions billions Billions BILLIONS if you could produce a paltry 0.5% per week

Ps 0.5% on a weekly basis is 30.25% annually so ehhh good luck

Old 10-28-2019, 09:32 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Forgive my ignorance, but from what I'm reading on Investopedia: is swing trading simply daytrading but you hold for a little longer?

Edit: Sorry -- read a bit further:

"Day Trading vs. Swing Trading
The distinction between swing trading and day trading is the holding time for positions. Swing trading involves at least an overnight hold, whereas day traders closes out positions before the market closes. Day trading positions are limited to a single day. Swing trading involves holding for several days to weeks."

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/s/swingtrading.asp
This explains it a bit better...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.all...trategy-guide/

Old 10-29-2019, 03:51 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,247,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
You aren’t getting 7-9% weekly or slightly under out of each trade period. If you could with any consistency you would be paid billions billions Billions BILLIONS if you could produce a paltry 0.5% per week

Ps 0.5% on a weekly basis is 30.25% annually so ehhh good luck
Agree, the numbers seem wildly inflated.

Old 10-29-2019, 07:49 AM

4,043 posts, read 3,770,251 times
I've been swing trading forex on a paper account for the past few months. Not sure if stocks is easier but it's definitely been more of a challenge for me so far. Btw, can someone recommend material for me to start trading stocks? I've been studying technical analysis for a while but don't know much about the fundamental side for stocks or how to screen them.

@OP - Not sure how much you're risking per trade but 7-9%/day seems way too high with proper risk management. It's good your strategy is working for you but it sounds like you just started so you probably don't have enough data yet. I'd keep trading with a paper account for a few more months before using real money.

Last edited by Gabriella Geramia; 10-29-2019 at 07:59 AM..

Old 10-29-2019, 08:36 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,211,328 times
I think a good strategy would be to invest 100% of available funds on every trade. Either be a wealthy hero or get the gambling urge out of the system rapidly.

Old 10-29-2019, 02:32 PM

1,537 posts, read 1,910,794 times
Nice gimmie day with: BYND & GRUB.

Those hard to borrows fees though, wooo boy.

Old 10-29-2019, 02:48 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
Nice gimmie day with: BYND & GRUB.

Those hard to borrows fees though, wooo boy.
Hard to borrow fees in paper trading?

Old 10-29-2019, 03:06 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,427,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post

As I’ve said many times on here I’m more of a long term and index fund type of investor. To be honest, I’ve never heard of swing trading. I read your link, and I don’t see how it’s a winning strategy long term outside of getting lucky. The charts they show, to me, shows an extreme level of risk and basically “guessing” since these shifts need to occur in just a few days. How you would ever accurately predict the “trend” would reverse or if you were at the swing high or swing low is beyond me. It’s basically saying you can time a stock on a short leash...over and over.

No thanks.

Old 10-29-2019, 04:02 PM

1,537 posts, read 1,910,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Hard to borrow fees in paper trading?
You still get to see the fees when you click through you just don't place the order (with a wildly different price that'll never fill so you don't mistakenly take something if you mistakenly click on something). Which brings me back to the biggest worry, which only one person has had a suggestion on, being the availably of shares by broker.

Swing trading must be super competitive if nobody in here is willing to offer anything of substance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
I don’t see how it’s a winning strategy long term outside of getting lucky. The charts they show, to me, shows an extreme level of risk and basically “guessing” since these shifts need to occur in just a few days. How you would ever accurately predict the “trend” would reverse or if you were at the swing high or swing low is beyond me. It’s basically saying you can time a stock on a short leash...over and over.
Yeah, that's sort of what I thought before I started looking into it. When I'm position trading I try not to settle for anything less than 20%, which made the 5% to 20% you take (or less) in swing trading sound like a bad deal. Then I realized it was a large number of small trades that makes up the difference.

It's also more probabilistic & psychology driven. It's also more about risk control & small position size. It doesn't even seem to be about being right, but being right when you make more. Sort of a lose up to 6 time to win 4 times.

A few of the trades it sometimes suggests taking have just a 53% win rate!

Pretty much the opposite of what I'm trying to do with my position trading, which is to win a moderate to large sum at a high percentage.

Depending on how nuts you get with it you're talking level II info & following candles minute to minute. That part was probably the most off putting part of it so right away chasing breakouts was off the table for me. Did I mention this type of trading seems to instill a number of bad habits?

The closest I can really relate this style to is the modern version of counting cards at Blackjack.

Which if you're familiar with that you know that you have to expect losses are just part of it.

Another thing I've found that's difficult is just knowing when to ignore the news, how important volume is on any particular trade, what sort of probability you're getting from the current candle setup, and how important the past chart history of the chart is. Sort of a pot you're mixing all these elements together, ranking them, and then making a decision more or less in real time. It's also difficult to throw fundamentals out the window almost completely, but less frustrating then when you're talking longer term fundamental driven investing & people make the wrong call resulting in the stock to do what it should.

I think where people go wrong with this is when they get on a string of winners and the ego kicks in followed by a big losing bet.

Before I thought it was a lot of small wins followed by a big loss that basically puts you back to even. In practice it seems to be a lot of small wins that cancel out a lot of small losses with the occasional big win.

Before I assumed the price action was difficult to follow and that it was about timing. In practice the shorter time frames (up to a point) seem to be more predicable and it is less about timing and more about probability.

So far I'm either doing something right, am just getting lucky, or what the "pros" suggest with the 1-2% a day thing is like the long-term investing books that play it safe by suggesting way more stocks than necessary in actively traded portfolios. Probably a bit of all three. Sorta wish I didn't even bring up how I'm doing so maybe that way other more knowledgeable posters in this style would step up with constructive suggestions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing