Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2020, 11:17 AM

24,410 posts, read 27,010,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
If you think that is a bad idea, can you explain why?

If you feel safe investing in stocks when they seem disconnected from reality, can you explain why?
In my original response I gave you a starting point to research a specific portfolio along with specific funds you can buy to make that portfolio a reality where the goal is to perform well while keeping risk at a minimum during uncertainty, inflation periods, deflation periods... instead of saying thank you and asking follow up questions, you made a snarky response and ignored the rest. I’m more than happy to help others, I do it here often, I get a lot of private messages that I help people through too, but I’m not going to debate someone or fight someone to educate them for their own benefit, not unless I’m being paid, sorry but there is no benefit to me, if someone shows appreciation then that’s my payment... just don’t complain about the Fed this and that when you lose half your money or more dumping it into silver and palladium.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2020, 12:18 PM

27,622 posts, read 28,723,867 times
Quote:
If you feel safe investing in stocks when they seem disconnected from reality, can you explain why?
Nobody knows when the stock market is or isn’t disconnected from reality.

It is mostly just an opinion.

Old 09-07-2020, 12:19 PM

8,226 posts, read 3,430,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

We pretty much know that it's disconnected. If you follow the Fed interventions carefully, you will see what a disaster it is.

Old 09-07-2020, 12:20 PM

106,801 posts, read 109,039,935 times
Quote:

Exactly ....the market is pricing itself for 2021 ....we don’t know if that is reality yet or not

Old 09-07-2020, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
In my original response I gave you a starting point to research a specific portfolio along with specific funds you can buy to make that portfolio a reality where the goal is to perform well while keeping risk at a minimum during uncertainty, inflation periods, deflation periods... instead of saying thank you and asking follow up questions, you made a snarky response and ignored the rest. I’m more than happy to help others, I do it here often, I get a lot of private messages that I help people through too, but I’m not going to debate someone or fight someone to educate them for their own benefit, not unless I’m being paid, sorry but there is no benefit to me, if someone shows appreciation then that’s my payment... just don’t complain about the Fed this and that when you lose half your money or more dumping it into silver and palladium.
Your original response, as I remember it, said you didn't know why I was asking about investing here, at an investment forum. You said I should find a financial expert and do what they say.

Old 09-07-2020, 12:24 PM

27,622 posts, read 28,723,867 times
Quote:
We pretty much know that it's disconnected. If you follow the Fed interventions carefully, you will see what a disaster it is.
Well, if you’ve been following other threads on this forum, then you will know there is a poster who is predicting a massive stock market crash, the likes of which we have never seen in our lifetimes.

So, there’s that.

Old 09-07-2020, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Well, if you’ve been following other threads on this forum, then you will know there is a poster who is predicting a massive stock market crash, the likes of which we have never seen in our lifetimes.

So, there’s that.
As well as one says we likely will not see this massive deflation he speaks of ..more than likely we will see rising inflation as govt spending tries to prop things up when interest rates can’t go any lower Because they are already at zero ....

Negative rates will not have the same effect here as Europe

Old 09-07-2020, 12:29 PM

24,410 posts, read 27,010,334 times
Quote:
Your original response, as I remember it, said you didn't know why I was asking about investing here, at an investment forum. You said I should find a financial expert and do what they say.
I mentioned nothing about why are you asking about investments.

I did recommend speaking with a highly reviewed financial advisor because it sounds by your questions, you haven’t invested in the stock market before, while the portfolio I recommended is simple to setup, if someone is brand new to the market it might still be confusing on how to set it up. Also, when I think someone is brand new and it’s something important like a person entering retirement, I don’t want them buying what I recommend or what someone else here recommends blindly without doing their own research on the suggested or speaking to a professional. On rare occasions I recommend a financial advisor, it’s usually when someone sounds brand new and wanting to put their money in stuff that’s highly volatile and it’s something important like retirement. I gave you a specific portfolio with specific tickers and weighting that I would recommend and said you should also research it online or read books about this portfolio and you may even want to talk to a professional about it.

Old 09-07-2020, 12:35 PM

Ironically seeking alpha did an article today on ray Dalios all weather portfolio which not only holds loads of Tlt but it holds ief intermediate term too ..

That is in contrast to Bridgewater , the firm he founded which was dumping all long term bonds

So even the brightest minds in the industry are at odds here .

https://seekingalpha.com/article/437...folio-this-now

Old 09-07-2020, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Ironically seeking alpha did an article today on ray Dalios all weather portfolio which not only holds loads of Tlt but it holds ief intermediate term too ..

That is in contrast to Bridgewater , the firm he founded which was dumping all long term bonds

So even the brightest minds in the industry are at odds here .

https://seekingalpha.com/article/437...folio-this-now
Yeah that's the trouble, nobody knows what will happen next. I read a lot of different experts and get very different opinions.

My posting here was not to have someone tell me what to do. I just wanted to start a conversation and get diverse opinions.

It's true that I never invested in stocks before, but it's also true that I follow the stock market and financial news carefully, and have been for years.

I didn't invest in stocks because they are unpredictable and I did ok with CD interest. I am retired and therefore don't want to invest in stocks. Financial advisors would probably say stocks are ok, everybody is doing it.

When everybody is doing something, I am skeptical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing