Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2020, 12:46 PM

8,229 posts, read 3,414,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Well, if you’ve been following other threads on this forum, then you will know there is a poster who is predicting a massive stock market crash, the likes of which we have never seen in our lifetimes.

So, there’s that.
I wouldn't take one poster's word for it. But lots of experts are predicting it. In general, the more libertarian an expert is, the more they are expecting the end of the world. The more progressive, the more sympathetic with MMT -- they are likely to be ok with the craziness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2020, 12:48 PM

106,568 posts, read 108,713,667 times
In the all weather arena we have 4 contenders

So now we have the permanent portfolio at

25% Tlt long term treasuries
25% gld Gold
25% vti. Total market
25% shy/ Bil /shv T-bills ,short term treasuries

Then we have the ray Dalio all weather which he came up with for tony Robbins

30% total market

40% Tlt long term treasuries

15% ief intermediate treasuries

7.50 %Gld gold

7.50% dbc commodities

Then we have Bridgewater , ray dalios firm he founded dumping long term treasuries and going

20% total market vti

20% international vxus

20% short term tips vtip

20% Gld gold

20% shy short term treasuries

The golden butterfly

20 % Tlt

20% Gld

20% s&p 500 fund voo

20% slyv. Small cap value

20% shy /shv , bil

Old 09-07-2020, 12:49 PM

27,542 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
I didn't invest in stocks because they are unpredictable and I did ok with CD interest. I am retired and therefore don't want to invest in stocks. Financial advisors would probably say stocks are ok, everybody is doing it.

When everybody is doing something, I am skeptical.
Stocks are a long-term investment vehicle. You have to wait 10, 20, 30 years to see good results with stocks. The S&P 500 doubles in value about once every 10 years.

That is why normally people should start investing in stocks early on their career.

Old 09-07-2020, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Stocks are a long-term investment vehicle. You have to wait 10, 20, 30 years to see good results with stocks. The S&P 500 doubles in value about once every 10 years.

That is why normally people should start investing in stocks early on their career.
I understand, and that is why I don't want to buy them now. Unless they crash, then I might. But the Fed will do every crazy thing it can think of to not let them crash.

If the Fed starts buying equities then it's over.

Old 09-07-2020, 01:17 PM

Quote:
I understand, and that is why I don't want to buy them now. Unless they crash, then I might. But the Fed will do every crazy thing it can think of to not let them crash.

If the Fed starts buying equities then it's over.
You likely won’t buy when things are plunging ....that is the problem ,few do serious buying when markets look like they have no bottom and we are just going lower and lower ......they may dip their toes but few really comitt..

Then when the market has a nice up day they think it is a suckers rally ...so they wait ...each day the market goes higher and each day they go I will wait for a roll back .

By the time they commit a meaningful amount they would have been better just buying when things were up and riding it through ..

This story repeats over and over

Old 09-07-2020, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
You likely won’t buy when things are plunging ....that is the problem ,few do serious buying when markets look like they have no bottom and we are just going lower and lower ......they may dip their toes but few really comitt..

Then when the market has a nice up day they think it is a suckers rally ...so they wait ...each day the market goes higher and each day they go I will wait for a roll back .

By the time they commit a meaningful amount they would have been better just buying when things were up and riding it through ..

This story repeats over and over
Everyone buys high and sells low. Fortunately, my instinct is always to do whatever everyone else isn't doing.

Old 09-07-2020, 02:02 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
Quote:
Everyone buys high and sells low. Fortunately, my instinct is always to do whatever everyone else isn't doing.

Doing the opposite of everyone is a fun thing to say, makes you feel like a maverick, but in reality it's a losing strategy. Most of the time, you will end up buying near the beginning or middle of a crash and then will end up selling in the infancy of the bull market.

For example, if you would have just bought a market fund in 2016, instead of a 5 year CD, you would be up exponentially, around 40 years worth of your CD. You could have retired and cashed out for the rest of your life if you wanted instead of worrying about inflation right now.

The rule of "the trend is your friend" and "be a bull in a bull market"... is the better way to invest and all data proves it.

Old 09-07-2020, 02:08 PM

Quote:
The most money is made buying high and selling higher ....the trend is your friend ....

More money is lost by trying to buy low as low ends up just falling lower and lower ....after a few thousand points many bail out or hit their stop losses.

But up is up ... since we spend 2/3s of the time going up and only 1/3 going down ,the most money is made in the up cycle going up not catching the lows

Old 09-07-2020, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Doing the opposite of everyone is a fun thing to say, makes you feel like a maverick, but in reality it's a losing strategy. Most of the time, you will end up buying near the beginning or middle of a crash and then will end up selling in the infancy of the bull market.

For example, if you would have just bought a market fund in 2016, instead of a 5 year CD, you would be up exponentially, around 40 years worth of your CD. You could have retired and cashed out for the rest of your life if you wanted instead of worrying about inflation right now.

The rule of "the trend is your friend" and "be a bull in a bull market"... is the better way to invest and all data proves it.
Yes I understand and of course I would not automatically do the opposite of everyone else. We have to think hard and know as much as possible.

Before the 2008 real estate crash, for several years, I was being advised to buy real estate. But I could feel that it was a bubble. And of course I was reading about it constantly, and lots of experts were saying it was a bubble. But lots of experts were also saying it wasn't.

So now, the more libertarian experts (who I trust a little more) are saying stocks are a giant bubble, caused by Fed interventions. That reasoning makes sense to me. QE money is indirectly poured into stocks, and there is nothing rational or real about that money. And the retirees forced into stocks are being forced against common sense and reason.

But investors see stocks going up for a long long time and no one can say when if ever they will head down. My little brain says watch out for that.

Old 09-07-2020, 02:13 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,247,595 times
Quote:
Yeah that's the trouble, nobody knows what will happen next. I read a lot of different experts and get very different opinions.

My posting here was not to have someone tell me what to do. I just wanted to start a conversation and get diverse opinions.

It's true that I never invested in stocks before, but it's also true that I follow the stock market and financial news carefully, and have been for years.

I didn't invest in stocks because they are unpredictable and I did ok with CD interest. I am retired and therefore don't want to invest in stocks. Financial advisors would probably say stocks are ok, everybody is doing it.

When everybody is doing something, I am skeptical.
Actually, your posting on here did look like it was a request for some recommendations, as you said:

I am searching for ways to prevent my savings from evaporating.

i gave you a conservative and simple portfolio to consider, it's not exactly the same as what I have now, , but it's similar. Did you take the time to review and consider it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing