Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2020, 02:14 PM

106,816 posts, read 109,039,935 times

Advertisements

In my 30 plus years of investing there has never been a time that was good for investing .

There was always some pending Financial disaster or we were in one waiting for the other shoe to drop

Good times to buy investments is only in hindsight
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2020, 02:25 PM

24,410 posts, read 27,010,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Actually, your posting on here did look like it was a request for some recommendations, as you said:

I am searching for ways to prevent my savings from evaporating.

i gave you a conservative and simple portfolio to consider, it's not exactly the same as what I have now, , but it's similar. Did you take the time to review and consider it?
That’s what I’m saying is he wasn't genuinely asking for advice... we see that here often... someone will ask a question, disregard the recommendation and talk a storm about how they know everything that’s going on, so it’s kind of a bait and switch. Why not just start a thread discussing the Fed’s intervention in this bull market.

Old 09-07-2020, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Yes I understand and of course I would not automatically do the opposite of everyone else. We have to think hard and know as much as possible.

Before the 2008 real estate crash, for several years, I was being advised to buy real estate. But I could feel that it was a bubble. And of course I was reading about it constantly, and lots of experts were saying it was a bubble. But lots of experts were also saying it wasn't.

So now, the more libertarian experts (who I trust a little more) are saying stocks are a giant bubble, caused by Fed interventions. That reasoning makes sense to me. QE money is indirectly poured into stocks, and there is nothing rational or real about that money. And the retirees forced into stocks are being forced against common sense and reason.

But investors see stocks going up for a long long time and no one can say when if ever they will head down. My little brain says watch out for that.
That argument has been made for many many years, so it just shows that it’s a losing argument. Even if the market crashes 50%, people will still have very good returns at the bottom of the crash. And it’s also why you don’t have to be 100% invested in stocks, you have stocks, bonds, gold, cash.

Old 09-07-2020, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
That’s what I’m saying is he wasn't genuinely asking for advice... we see that here often... someone will ask a question, disregard the recommendation and talk a storm about how they know everything that’s going on, so it’s kind of a bait and switch. Why not just start a thread discussing the Fed’s intervention in this bull market.
This is usually what we get ...they ask advice then argue with all the advice ....

We had some winners

Old 09-07-2020, 02:40 PM

8,226 posts, read 3,430,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Actually, your posting on here did look like it was a request for some recommendations, as you said:

I am searching for ways to prevent my savings from evaporating.

i gave you a conservative and simple portfolio to consider, it's not exactly the same as what I have now, , but it's similar. Did you take the time to review and consider it?
I said I am searching for ways, but I didn't say I want to just do whatever I am told. I appreciate all the opinions and recommendations, including yours. Did not get a chance to get deep into them yet, but there is nothing that I ignore.

Hopefully this kind of conversation can help everyone brainstorm in this crazy situation.

Old 09-07-2020, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
This is usually what we get ...they ask advice then argue with all the advice ....

We had some winners
First of all, I didn't mean to sound like I was a novice asking for expert advice. I think I know a lot, from many years of reading, even though I am definitely not an expert.

Sorry if I argued about some of the advice given. But I do not see discussion forums as places where you ask for advice and automatically take it.

Old 09-07-2020, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
The Fed's interventions are a critical aspect of the investment scenario right now. The Fed's interventions are the reasons I am even thinking about alternatives to CDs.

Old 09-07-2020, 03:02 PM

27,626 posts, read 28,723,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
The Fed's interventions are a critical aspect of the investment scenario right now. The Fed's interventions are the reasons I am even thinking about alternatives to CDs.
Based on historical returns, I think that the stock market is rather overvalued right now. However, I cannot say whether a correction will happen this week or 6 months from now.

Stock prices can remain overvalued for months or even years on end. We may see a repeat of the late 1990s when the stock market became ridiculously overvalued and we had a whole bunch of overnight millionaires. There is no way to tell.

Old 09-07-2020, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post

We had some winners
Yep exactly lol

Old 09-07-2020, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Based on historical returns, I think that the stock market is rather overvalued right now. However, I cannot say whether a correction will happen this week or 6 months from now.

Stock prices can remain overvalued for months or even years on end. We may see a repeat of the late 1990s when the stock market became ridiculously overvalued and we had a whole bunch of overnight millionaires. There is no way to tell.
Over valued is based on lots of things including rates .. in 1982 p/es were off the hook at 8 and double digit interest rates ...as rates came down that p/e of 8 which investors thought were very high became actually a deal as rates came down and the biggest bull in history took off .

So rates and alternative investments play a big role
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing