U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 12-26-2012, 06:43 PM
 
445 posts, read 1,898,950 times
Reputation: 370

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Um, if these rulings are so "common place" as YOU say, then WHY is it making national headline news??

Look, I see you trying to defend your state and not wanting to be compared to a hicksville state like West Virginia, but the bottomline is that this perv fired her, because she wouldn't put out. Now, what if she was giving it up to him and still fired her, then what??

Women all over the world go through this nonsense everyday. This dentist overstepped HIS bounds and broke so many sexual harassment laws that he SHOULD be punished. Dude asked her how many times she orgasmed??? WTF???

No, YOU are the one trying to INSULT PEOPLE'S INTELLIGENCE in this thread not me.
At this point, we might as well be arguing over the answer to what is 2+2? I'm telling you 2+2 is four and trying to explain to you why. But you are so focused in on all the the drama surrounding the number 4 that you refuse to believe me. You are telling the board that 2+2 cannot possibly be 4 because 4 is a terrible number that made sexual advances towards 3, and 4 associates with the Taliban, and 4 is a corn cob from Iowa or possibly a 'hick from West Virginia'.... The number 4 may very well kick baby kittens too, but the fact of the matter still remains that 2+2 does equal 4.

There is no other ruling that any court could have returned other than the very same ruling returned by the Iowa Supreme Court. The dental assistant was an employee at-will (<-constitues a contract) and subject to termination at any time for any reason (<-provisions of the contract). Additionally, Case Law did exist and this ruling follows the precedent set in the earlier rulings.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-26-2012, 07:36 PM
 
1,911 posts, read 3,152,661 times
Reputation: 910
If a fat woman had been fired for being too fat, it would be a much bigger deal. A gay man for acting too quear and possibly making some men feel uncomfortable in the dentist's chair, same thing. An attractive woman (seen as something desirable by the world) isn't part of the same protected class, unless minority (and even then not always).

Also,

If Melissa Nelson was Mark Nelson, this would be a much bigger deal even then. The Gay activist groups would come out in DROVES.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2012, 09:24 PM
 
1,070 posts, read 1,335,059 times
Reputation: 722
I know I am not going to make friends with my statement, but I am going to say my thoughts, anyway. There are two stories per every story, and so far, we only know one story.....hers.

She worked for him for 10 years. Did she always dressed the same way? We do not know that.


A dentist office is a professional setting, and as a professional setting, there are rules and regulations that go with it, that have to be respected, and followed. And a dressing code is one of them.

During the past few years, many women have taken freedoms to the limits, and often many of them want to extend these freedoms to encompass every facet of their lives.....including the work place.

If a woman wants to dress with her decolletage down to her belly button, and a mini skirt all the way up barely touching her derierre that is okay, if she plans to go to a nightclub to pick herself a man, like they do in NYC, California, and Florida. But, what is sad about it is, that many women today take it to the extreme. A working environment is not the place to go half-nude. End of story. The Iowa court did the correct thing by sending a message to women, about the work place, regardless about what was happening between the two of them.

Case in point: I went to a Norstrom to purchase a blouse. The female sales person was so exposed, that I as a woman, felt uncomfortable with her help, because everything was falling out. Obviously, a lack of good judgement is missing here....
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2012, 10:17 PM
 
6,474 posts, read 10,068,105 times
Reputation: 6331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latina7 View Post
I know I am not going to make friends with my statement, but I am going to say my thoughts, anyway. There are two stories per every story, and so far, we only know one story.....hers.

She worked for him for 10 years. Did she always dressed the same way? We do not know that.


A dentist office is a professional setting, and as a professional setting, there are rules and regulations that go with it, that have to be respected, and followed. And a dressing code is one of them.
The dress code was SCRUBS. Have you ever seen tight or form fitting scrubs before? I know I haven't.

Quote:
Case in point: I went to a Norstrom to purchase a blouse. The female sales person was so exposed, that I as a woman, felt uncomfortable with her help, because everything was falling out. Obviously, a lack of good judgement is missing here....
Why? They were just breasts.

Hey, a girl gotta make her commission somehow.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2012, 04:39 AM
 
Location: :~)
1,483 posts, read 2,831,587 times
Reputation: 1519
Default There you go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Why? They were just breasts.

Hey, a girl gotta make her commission somehow.
This mentality causes trouble!!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2012, 07:52 AM
 
1,515 posts, read 2,068,390 times
Reputation: 2597
Apparently, there was no real "dress code" in this office. The articles quotes Melissa Nelson as having worn scrub pants and a tee shirt. However, if after 10 years, the dentist decides he needs his employee to stop wearing tee shirts in his office, simply change the dress code to all scrubs, top and bottom ... end of story. In addition, this so-called "professional" makes another sexually harrassing comment to her about what he would do if her pants were as tight as her tee shirt.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2012, 08:20 AM
 
Location: Plymouth,Michigan/Quad Cities, (IA/IL)
332 posts, read 604,404 times
Reputation: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
What on earth??!

Did grandpa really believe he stood a chance?

When I was in my 20s, I found men in their 40s and up repulsive. Most girls I knew who dealt with them did it for MONETARY PURPOSES ONLY (just like they do TODAY). Trick daddies is what we called them. LOL!

Poor girl. I'm glad you guys were able to figure it out. Was he her supervisor or fellow co-worker?
When I was in my mid 20's there was a project manager assigned to the plant I worked in. He was about to retire so probably early 60's. He was constantly asking me to dinner and inviting me to his hotel
He was very crude and he would say these things in front of other employees . While I didn't suffer any employment related repercussions from his behavior, when I complained to my supervisor, I was told to deal with it myself and not to make a big deal about it. Things were alot different 25 years ago.

Basically, I just ignored and avoided the guy as much as possible and eventually his job was done and he was gone.

I too have no idea how men that age think they could be attractive to a young woman.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2012, 08:33 AM
 
1,515 posts, read 2,068,390 times
Reputation: 2597
Quote:
Originally Posted by irongrl View Post
When I was in my mid 20's there was a project manager assigned to the plant I worked in. He was about to retire so probably early 60's. He was constantly asking me to dinner and inviting me to his hotel
He was very crude and he would say these things in front of other employees . While I didn't suffer any employment related repercussions from his behavior, when I complained to my supervisor, I was told to deal with it myself and not to make a big deal about it. Things were alot different 25 years ago.

Basically, I just ignored and avoided the guy as much as possible and eventually his job was done and he was gone.

I too have no idea how men that age think they could be attractive to a young woman.
Yeah, this stuff seems like it was more common place 25 or so years ago. Just ignore it and hopefully the person will move on. I have a friend who got tired of it and did something about it (30 years ago). Took her 2 years in court, threats to her life, being dragged through the mud, but eventually she won the case (owner of a successful magazine publishing company). This stuff was going on in LA, so we could always easily find another job, but in a small town with a family, I can imagine how tough it can be to find another job that pays decent.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2012, 08:34 AM
 
6,474 posts, read 10,068,105 times
Reputation: 6331
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbub22 View Post
This mentality causes trouble!!
Only IowaSTAN, apparently.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2012, 12:04 PM
 
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
2,401 posts, read 3,552,778 times
Reputation: 1433
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe1 View Post
At this point, we might as well be arguing over the answer to what is 2+2? I'm telling you 2+2 is four and trying to explain to you why. But you are so focused in on all the the drama surrounding the number 4 that you refuse to believe me. You are telling the board that 2+2 cannot possibly be 4 because 4 is a terrible number that made sexual advances towards 3, and 4 associates with the Taliban, and 4 is a corn cob from Iowa or possibly a 'hick from West Virginia'.... The number 4 may very well kick baby kittens too, but the fact of the matter still remains that 2+2 does equal 4.

There is no other ruling that any court could have returned other than the very same ruling returned by the Iowa Supreme Court. The dental assistant was an employee at-will (<-constitues a contract) and subject to termination at any time for any reason (<-provisions of the contract). Additionally, Case Law did exist and this ruling follows the precedent set in the earlier rulings.
This. Great post (and I admire you patience)

Too many of us have begun to believe we do not live in a free country but rather one where no one has the right to offend us, be a jerk, or just be mean. Sorry folks, you take the good with the bad in a free society.

Yes, we have protected classes (minorities, religions, sex, etc.) but that isn't applicable here.

The free market will punish the dentist as I'm sure his practice is all but finished after this bad PR.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top