Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2012, 09:53 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,895,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
If Flipflop and I agreed on everything we would both be the same faith. He has the right to believe as he does and I am certain he believes with sincerity. But, he and I do not always see things the same. Which does not seem to bother either of us.

I believe you will get an even different view from a Christian, possibly even different views from different denominations of Christianity.
I once asked that question of the Christians but, as I recall, I didn't get clear answers like Flipflop gave me. I think it is time to try again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 06:40 PM

4 posts, read 3,894 times
Why is it necessary to verbally say that you accept all the teachings of Muhammed in order to worship God? Why can one not simply say that I believe in one God, and worship one God. In order to convert to Islam there is a prayer that requires the convert to also state that they believe in muhammed and his teachings. If worshipping God is all that is needed then why is it mandatory to acklowledge loyalty to Muhamed. Many Muslims also tell me that Jesus is held in high esteem in Islam. Few Muslims also told me that he had higher powers and authority then Muhamed, but when converting to Islam, there is no mention of believing Jesus teachings. Only mentions believing Muhamed's teachings. I have never heard a Muslim mention Jesus name, and then follow with Peace be upon him, but every time Muhammed's named is mentioned, it is immediately followed by a peace be upon him. From my perspective it seems like Jesus is highly overshadowed by Muhamed in Islam. Is this over shadowment intentional. Some people refer to it as anti Christ behavior. Open minded, and un offensive replies are welcome and appreciated. Comment on any or all questions, but most of interest to me is enlightened opinions on my first Question with respect to the need to accept Muhammed in order to be a Muslim.
Thanks for any replies.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:25 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,081,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith777 View Post
Why is it necessary to verbally say that you accept all the teachings of Muhammed in order to worship God? Why can one not simply say that I believe in one God, and worship one God. In order to convert to Islam there is a prayer that requires the convert to also state that they believe in muhammed and his teachings. If worshipping God is all that is needed then why is it mandatory to acklowledge loyalty to Muhamed. Many Muslims also tell me that Jesus is held in high esteem in Islam. Few Muslims also told me that he had higher powers and authority then Muhamed, but when converting to Islam, there is no mention of believing Jesus teachings. Only mentions believing Muhamed's teachings. I have never heard a Muslim mention Jesus name, and then follow with Peace be upon him, but every time Muhammed's named is mentioned, it is immediately followed by a peace be upon him. From my perspective it seems like Jesus is highly overshadowed by Muhamed in Islam. Is this over shadowment intentional. Some people refer to it as anti Christ behavior. Open minded, and un offensive replies are welcome and appreciated. Comment on any or all questions, but most of interest to me is enlightened opinions on my first Question with respect to the need to accept Muhammed in order to be a Muslim.
Thanks for any replies.
We do not accept Muhammad(PBUH) we accept the message that was given to Him, which is the Qur'an. We acknowledge Muhammad(PBUH) is the final Prophet and as such there will be no further revelations from Allaah(swt) after him. The Qur'an is the word of Allaah(swt) we are accepting the Qur'an, not the word of Muhammad(PBUH).

We do not believe Muhammad(PBUH) taught anything new, we believe the Qur'an is the same message given to all the Prophets,

We do say "Peace be Upon Him" after all of the prophets (PBUT) except for Jesus(as) were we say "Allahi s-Salaam" Which while it is translated as "Peace Be upon Him" it is a form reserved for the living as we believe Jesus(as) has not yet died and all the other Prophets(PBUT) are deceased.

In order to be a Muslim we believe one must accept the words of all the Prophets. We believe the Qur'an is the summation of what has been given to all of the prophets but summarized in a form for all people of all time. By acknowledging Muhammad(PBUH) we are stating we accept the Qur'an as the final instructions from Allaah(swt)

Jesus(as) is the most mentioned Prophet(PBUH) in the Qur'an and He is named considerably more times than Muhammad(PBUH) is. To be Muslim, one has to love Jesus(as). We do not believe the bible contains the words of Jesus(as), but rather the accounts of other people that may or may not have actually known him. We Believe his actual teachings (The Injil) were not saved and have been lost, however, it is possible some of that attributed as quotes from him may be parts of the Injil.

The Shahadah (la Allah il'allah Muhammad Rasool Allah--There is no God but Allah, Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah) which may be said in private, is our acknowledgment, that we believe there is only one God(swt) and the Qur'an revealed to Muhammad(PBUH) is his message.

If a person sincerely believes the words of the Shahadah they are Muslim. there is no formal ceremony that makes us a Muslim. that is between us and Allaah(swt) alone. We are under no obligation to "Join" a Mosque or even to say our prayers in a Mosque. We are obligated to say our prayers in unity with the Muslims in our community at least once a week, that can be in a Mosque, in someones home, or where ever we may be. We have no ordained clergy, any one can lead the prayers. In areas where there is no permanent Imam that is usually the oldest male present. Or in the case it is only females present, the oldest or most knowledgeable female can lead the prayers.

Overall being Muslim is between the individual and God(swt) there are no intermediaries or intercessors involved. We only pray directly to Allaah(swt) with no human between us and Him. Only the individual and Allaah(swt) knows if a person is a Muslim.

Islam is a Arabic Verb and means "The act of Submitting to God(swt)"

Muslim is a noun and means "Person who is submitting to God(swt)"

since we do not know what is in another person's heart, or thoughts, only Allaah(swt) knows who is sincerely a Muslim. There are Muslims in this world who have never been in a Mosque, have never seen the Qur'an and probably have never met another Muslim in person. yet they are equal to the most knowledgeable Scholar, all Muslims are equal and not judged on what they can not know or can not do.

Because of severe disabilities and old age I can not perform the 5 obligatory prayers as prescribed. I am over 100 miles to the nearest Mosque, because of impaired legs I can not do the prostrations or kneeling. Often I have to do my prayers alone in bed. Because of health issues I can not follow the full fasting of Ramadan Because of my health it is very doubtful I will ever make the Hajj in person. But I am still considered to be equal to all other Muslims. I do what I can to the best of my ability, and that is all that is required.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith777 View Post
Why is it necessary to verbally say that you accept all the teachings of Muhammed in order to worship God?
To be on a baseball team, you have to play baseball.

To be a Christian, you have to believe that Jesus is the son of your god.

To be a Muslim, you have to believe the Quran is the word of your god.

Of course, this is the simple answer. Woodrow gave the very well-written mature response.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:11 AM

2,777 posts, read 2,670,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
To be on a baseball team, you have to play baseball.

To be a Christian, you have to believe that Jesus is the son of your god.

To be a Muslim, you have to believe the Quran is the word of your god.

Of course, this is the simple answer. Woodrow gave the very well-written mature response.

to avoid Hell and enter Paradise you have to believe that Allah is the only god and Muhammad is his messenger.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:39 PM

762 posts, read 1,217,121 times
Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, and the truth, and the life: no one cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truth_teller View Post
to avoid Hell and enter Paradise you have to believe that Allah is the only god and Muhammad is his messenger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefol View Post
Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, and the truth, and the life: no one cometh unto the Father, but by me.
Maybe I should play it safe and do both.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Maybe I should play it safe and do both.
Jesus and Muhammad are not the only prophets

there were also

Adam
Idris (Enoch)
Nuh (Noah)
Hud (Heber)
Salih (Methusaleh)
Lut (Lot)
Ibrahim (Abraham)
Ismail (Ishmael)
Ishaq (Isaac)
Yaqub (Jacob)
Yusuf (Joseph)
Shu’aib (Jethro)
Ayyub (Job)
Dhulkifl (Ezekiel)
Musa (Moses)
Harun (Aaron)
Dawud (David)
Sulayman (Solomon)
Ilias (Elias)
Alyasa (Elisha)
Yunus (Jonah)
Zakariya (Zachariah)
Yahya (John the Baptist)
Isa (Jesus)
Muhammad

and there others we do not know them and when you believe in Muhammad then automatically you are going to believe in all the prophets that were mentioned by him.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:48 AM

Thanks for listing the prophets. I always liked Methusaleh.

Methusaleh lived all his life in tears,
Keeping a woman for nine hundred years.
One day he decided to have some fun.
The poor man never lived to see nine hundred and one.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Thanks for listing the prophets. I always liked Methusaleh.

here is the islamic story of prophet Salih peace be upon him

....... Fearing that his followers would increase, they tried to put him off by assigning him an important task; to prove that he was a messenger of Allah by performing a miracle.....Ibn Kathir: Story of Prophet Salih (pbuh)

and here some verses from the Quran about him.
And to Samood (We sent) their brother Salih. He said: O my people! serve Allah, you have no god other than Him; clear proof indeed has come to you from your Lord; this is (as) Allah's she-camel for you-- a sign, therefore leave her alone to pasture on Allah's earth, and do not touch her with any harm, otherwise painful chastisement will overtake you.

And remember when He made you successors after Ad and settled you in the land-- you make mansions on its plains and hew out houses in the mountains-- remember therefore Allah's benefits and do not act corruptly in the land, making mischief.

The chief of those who behaved proudly among his people said to those who were considered weak, to those who believed from among them: Do you know that Salih is sent by his Lord? They said: Surely we are believers in what he has been sent with

Those who were haughty said: Surely we are deniers of what you believe in.

So they slew the she-camel and revolted against their Lord's commandment, and they said: O Salih! bring us what you threatened us with, if you are one of the apostles.

Then the earthquake overtook them, so they became motionless bodies in their abode.

Then he turned away from them and said: O my people I did certainly deliver to you the message of my Lord, and I gave you good advice, but you do not love those who give good advice. The Noble Quran.

Last edited by truth_teller; 01-25-2013 at 09:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam