Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2018, 03:26 AM

3,640 posts, read 42,142 times

Advertisements

The word "jihad" (جِهَاد) is stated in the Qur'an in only 4 verses. And it is not used for warfare from Muslim's side but used for Muslims struggling and striving through trials and tribulations because of their faith in The One True God (Allah in Arabic language).

Therefore, the word "jihad" is misused by the politicians as well as by some Muslims.

The word used for striving in defensive situation during war waged by the others against Muslims is not pronounced as "jihad" but "jahad". And "jahad" is never used for attacking peaceful people of any religion or of no religion who have not waged war on Muslims.

In the next post, I hope to shed light on the word "jihad" used in the Qur'an (the only correct use of it) citing all 4 verses and the context in which these 4 verses were revealed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2018, 10:14 AM

The following 4 verses are the only verses in the Qur'an in which is the word "jihad" (noun):

[9:24] Say: If your fathers and your sons and your brethren and your mates and your kinsfolk and property which you have acquired, and the slackness of trade which you fear and dwellings which you like, are dearer to you than Allah and His messenger and jihad in His way, then wait till Allah brings about His command: and Allah does not guide the transgressing people.
قُلْ إِنْ كَانَ آبَاؤُكُمْ وَأَبْنَاؤُكُمْ وَإِخْوَانُكُمْ وَأَزْوَاجُكُمْ وَعَشِيرَتُكُمْ وَأَمْوَالٌ اقْتَرَفْتُمُوهَا وَتِجَارَةٌ تَخْشَوْنَ كَسَادَهَا وَمَسَاكِنُ تَرْضَوْنَهَا أَحَبَّ إِلَيْكُمْ مِنَ اللَّهِ وَرَسُولِهِ وَجِهَادٍ فِي سَبِيلِهِ فَتَرَبَّصُوا حَتَّىٰ يَأْتِيَ اللَّهُ بِأَمْرِهِ ۗ وَاللَّهُ لَا يَهْدِي الْقَوْمَ الْفَاسِقِينَ

As you can see, I have not translated the word "jihad" (noun) but have stated just as it is in the Arabic Qur'an.

In this verse, "jihad" is struggle and striving to keep one's faith under trying conditions even when the fear of losing one's home, sons, relatives and trade is there. All that the verse is telling the believers is to "wait" for the command/judgment of Allah.

The verse doesn't tell anyone to go and kill people or wage war on anyone but they are still in "jihad".

The verse ends with "Allah does not guide the transgressing people". Muslims could not be transgressing people here but under fear of losing so much. Therefore, their "jihad" is not their warfare or attacking anyone but striving to keep their faith under very difficult and trying conditions.

[22:78] And strive hard in (the way of) Allah, (such) a jihad is due to Him; He has chosen you and has not laid upon you hardship in religion; the faith of your father Abraham; He named you Muslims before and in this, that the messenger may be a bearer of witness to you, and you may be bearers of witness to the people; therefore keep up prayer and pay the poor-rate and hold fast by Allah; He is your Guardian; how excellent the Guardian and how excellent the Helper!
وَجَاهِدُوا فِي اللَّهِ حَقَّ جِهَادِهِ ۚ هُوَ اجْتَبَاكُمْ وَمَا جَعَلَ عَلَيْكُمْ فِي الدِّينِ مِنْ حَرَجٍ ۚ مِلَّةَ أَبِيكُمْ إِبْرَاهِيمَ ۚ هُوَ سَمَّاكُمُ الْمُسْلِمِينَ مِنْ قَبْلُ وَفِي هَٰذَا لِيَكُونَ الرَّسُولُ شَهِيدًا عَلَيْكُمْ وَتَكُونُوا شُهَدَاءَ عَلَى النَّاسِ ۚ فَأَقِيمُوا الصَّلَاةَ وَآتُوا الزَّكَاةَ وَاعْتَصِمُوا بِاللَّهِ هُوَ مَوْلَاكُمْ ۖ فَنِعْمَ الْمَوْلَىٰ وَنِعْمَ النَّصِيرُ

Here again, "jihad" is striving in faith, keeping up prayer, paying the poor-rate (charity) and being firm in faith. There is no hardship in praying or helping the poor people if one is able to do it, being conscious of Allah and taking His guidance.

You face hardship when others try to force you to comply with their wishes (such as worshiping idols) and try to stop you carrying on with your faith. It is their persecution that is facing the hardship. Not giving in to their wishes in such a situation is "jihad".

In context, this verse too is not about fighting, killing anyone or a warfare but carrying on peacefully in your religion under difficult conditions/circumstances. Staying firm in faith under such conditions is "jihad".

[25:52] So do not follow the unbelievers, and strive against them with greater jihad.
فَلَا تُطِعِ الْكَافِرِينَ وَجَاهِدْهُمْ بِهِ جِهَادًا كَبِيرًا

The verse is about not following unbelievers in their way of idol worshiping but strive in greater jihad (peaceful struggle) by staying in the deen. Greater jihad is always a peaceful struggle and striving under difficult circumstances of unbelievers trying to turn you away from Islam.

[60:1] O you who believe! Do not take My enemy and your enemy for friends/allies/guardians: would you offer them love while they deny what has come to you of the truth, driving out the messenger and yourselves because you believe in Allah, your Lord? If you go forth in jihad in My path and seeking My pleasure, would you manifest love to them? And I know what you conceal and what you manifest; and whoever of you does this, he indeed has gone astray from the level/right path.
يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا لَا تَتَّخِذُوا عَدُوِّي وَعَدُوَّكُمْ أَوْلِيَاءَ تُلْقُونَ إِلَيْهِمْ بِالْمَوَدَّةِ وَقَدْ كَفَرُوا بِمَا جَاءَكُمْ مِنَ الْحَقِّ يُخْرِجُونَ الرَّسُولَ وَإِيَّاكُمْ ۙ أَنْ تُؤْمِنُوا بِاللَّهِ رَبِّكُمْ إِنْ كُنْتُمْ خَرَجْتُمْ جِهَادًا فِي سَبِيلِي وَابْتِغَاءَ مَرْضَاتِي ۚ تُسِرُّونَ إِلَيْهِمْ بِالْمَوَدَّةِ وَأَنَا أَعْلَمُ بِمَا أَخْفَيْتُمْ وَمَا أَعْلَنْتُمْ ۚ وَمَنْ يَفْعَلْهُ مِنْكُمْ فَقَدْ ضَلَّ سَوَاءَ السَّبِيلِ

Once more, "jihad" here has nothing to do with the warfare or killing anyone. In fact Muslims at the time were not only in "jihad" but were also trying to manifest their love for their unbelieving relatives. Unbelieving relatives had no love for their Muslim relatives. The next verse to the above verse clarifies that:

[60.2] If they find you, they will be your enemies, and will stretch forth towards you their hands and their tongues with evil, and they ardently desire that you may disbelieve.
إِنْ يَثْقَفُوكُمْ يَكُونُوا لَكُمْ أَعْدَاءً وَيَبْسُطُوا إِلَيْكُمْ أَيْدِيَهُمْ وَأَلْسِنَتَهُمْ بِالسُّوءِ وَوَدُّوا لَوْ تَكْفُرُونَ

Therefore, "jihad" by then new Muslim wasn't anything to do with warfare against the unbelievers but a struggle under difficult conditions in trying to keep their faith.

"Jihad" is noun in Arabic grammar and "jahad" (جَاهَد) strive/strives as verb. In each case it is about striving in defense in deen (religion). Aggression against peaceful people is never jihad.

Old 09-20-2018, 12:48 PM

As others are not posting about their study of the Qur'an, I would like to bring them into this discussion regarding the word "jihad" (جِهَاد) as noun or the word "jahad" (جَاهَد) as verb in the Qur'an.

I challenge anyone to quote verses of the Qur'an in which are these words and the verses are about offensive jihad/jahad against peaceful people of any religion or of no religion (those who have never attacked first or are not to attack Muslims first).

Good luck in your search for those verses!

Old 09-22-2018, 11:05 AM

Another related word in the Qur'an is جَاهِد (jahid). This too is not noun Jihad (جِهَاد) but verb jahid. This striving too is not against peaceful people of any religion or of no religion. There is absolutely no need in Islam to strive against peaceful people but to be friendly with peaceful people.

Old 09-30-2018, 08:12 AM

After studying the Qur'an in depth, I have learnt that "islam"/"إِسْلاَم" or "al-islam"/"the islam"/"الإِسْلاَم (Arabic words) as a completely new religion is misunderstand. Islam (English word with capital I) is not a new religion but a very old and the only religion ordained by Allah for human beings.

[42.13] He has ordained for you the religion (deen) what He enjoined upon Noah and that which We have revealed to you and that which We enjoined upon Abraham and Moses and Jesus that keep to obedience and be not divided therein; hard to the unbelievers is that which you call them to; God chooses for Himself whom He pleases, and guides to Himself him who turns (to Him), frequently.
شَرَعَ لَكُمْ مِنَ الدِّينِ مَا وَصَّىٰ بِهِ نُوحًا وَالَّذِي أَوْحَيْنَا إِلَيْكَ وَمَا وَصَّيْنَا بِهِ إِبْرَاهِيمَ وَمُوسَىٰ وَعِيسَىٰ ۖ أَنْ أَقِيمُوا الدِّينَ وَلَا تَتَفَرَّقُوا فِيهِ ۚ كَبُرَ عَلَى الْمُشْرِكِينَ مَا تَدْعُوهُمْ إِلَيْهِ ۚ اللَّهُ يَجْتَبِي إِلَيْهِ مَنْ يَشَاءُ وَيَهْدِي إِلَيْهِ مَنْ يُنِيبُ

Therefore, religion of Noah, Abraham, Moses and Jesus was (in essence) the same as is for us. Keeping to obedience and no division is essence of the religion. Keeping to obedience is the same as keeping the commandments, obeying Allah, serving Allah, taking the guidance from Allah and submitting to His Will. All this is mentioned in English in just one word (Islam) and "the islam" (al-islam in Arabic).

[98.5] And they were not enjoined anything except that they should serve Allah, being sincere to Him in obedience, upright, and keep up prayer and pay the poor-rate, and that is the right religion.
وَمَا أُمِرُوا إِلَّا لِيَعْبُدُوا اللَّهَ مُخْلِصِينَ لَهُ الدِّينَ حُنَفَاءَ وَيُقِيمُوا الصَّلَاةَ وَيُؤْتُوا الزَّكَاةَ ۚ وَذَٰلِكَ دِينُ الْقَيِّمَةِ

What they were enjoined was, in essence, Islam.

[41.43] Naught is said to you but what was said indeed to the messengers before you; surely your Lord is the Lord of forgiveness and the Lord of painful retribution.
مَا يُقَالُ لَكَ إِلَّا مَا قَدْ قِيلَ لِلرُّسُلِ مِنْ قَبْلِكَ ۚ إِنَّ رَبَّكَ لَذُو مَغْفِرَةٍ وَذُو عِقَابٍ أَلِيمٍ

Therefore, if what was said to the messenger Muhammad was the same as was said to the messengers before him then Islam is the same religion ordained by Allah for the previous messengers and their people at the time.

We shouldn't be lost in names of various religion or even in Islam but we should try to understand the essence of religion given to mankind by Allah (SWT). Acts of devotions could be slightly different but the essence is the same.

I hope to shed light, in the next post, on essence of religion (deen in Arabic) for mankind. It is nothing but for the purpose humans were created for and set on this earth. Pure humanity reflects this essence and serves the purpose humans were created and placed on earth.

Old 10-16-2018, 03:41 AM

My apology for not getting back quick enough. My lapTop broke and couldn't get it repaired.

Islam is what we have to do to serve the purpose we were created for and placed on earth to be leaders, governors, protectors of all earthly creation, including the environment.

Human beings, as the best earthly creation have the ability and capability to do just that. It is known in another word as "humanity". To keep the humanity going on earth, we have to be good humans.

Essence of religion from God for humans is designed for humanity to flourish on earth. Islam is the best way to do that. Just calling oneself a Muslim is not enough to be in Islam but doing the necessary work (according to the guidance from God through His messages/revelations for humans) on earth towards humanity is the true Islam.

For example, I call myself a Muslim and believe in the revelations from God/Allah but if I am not honest, humble, doer of good to other earthly living beings and do not protect and help improve the earthly environment then I am not serving the purpose I was created for. My brief time on earth must not be wasted. I have to play my role in improving humanity and the environment on earth so that the humanity flourishes on earth for the generations to come.

Therefore, we, Muslims, have to ask ourselves, are we making the difference for the generations to come? Are we serving the purpose (identified in the Qur'an 2:30) for which we were created for?

Let''s not just regard ourselves Muslims but be believers, submitting ones, obey God/Allah, being humble and not haughty, Muhsineen (those who do good to others), Mutaqqeen (have taqwa/awareness of Allah/God at the times of our actions) and refrain from doing any evil act. Our action must not adversely affect any other living being or the earthly environment. Only then we will be successful humans achieving salvation and thus serving the purpose we were created for.

Old 10-25-2018, 10:38 AM

God (Allah in Arabic)) of Muslims is One.

[112.1] Say: He, Allah, is One.
[112.2] Allah is He on Whom all depend.
[112.3] He begets not, nor is He begotten.
[112.4] And none is like Him.

Islam is pure monotheism. This monotheism cannot be compromised in any way whether in essence, worship or service. This Deen (Religion) is based on pure monotheism that even the name of it is not human-created or named after a man, a genealogy or a nation. It is never Muhammadism or even Islamism but simply Islam.

Old 12-24-2018, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalif View Post
Another related word in the Qur'an is جَاهِد (jahid). This too is not noun Jihad (جِهَاد) but verb jahid. This striving too is not against peaceful people of any religion or of no religion. There is absolutely no need in Islam to strive against peaceful people but to be friendly with peaceful people.
[60.9] Allah only forbids you respecting those who made war upon you on account of (your) religion, and drove you forth from your homes and backed up (others) in your expulsion, that you make friends with them, and whoever makes friends with them, these are the unjust.
إِنَّمَا يَنْهَاكُمُ اللَّهُ عَنِ الَّذِينَ قَاتَلُوكُمْ فِي الدِّينِ وَأَخْرَجُوكُمْ مِنْ دِيَارِكُمْ وَظَاهَرُوا عَلَىٰ إِخْرَاجِكُمْ أَنْ تَوَلَّوْهُمْ ۚ وَمَنْ يَتَوَلَّهُمْ فَأُولَٰئِكَ هُمُ الظَّالِمُونَ

And even against those who make war against believers because of their believing, and then stop and incline to peace, guidance in the Qur'an for Muslims is to incline to peace.

[8.61] And if they incline to peace, then incline to it and trust in Allah; surely He is the Hearing, the Knowing.
وَإِنْ جَنَحُوا لِلسَّلْمِ فَاجْنَحْ لَهَا وَتَوَكَّلْ عَلَى اللَّهِ ۚ إِنَّهُ هُوَ السَّمِيعُ الْعَلِيمُ

Old 01-22-2019, 02:07 PM

[Qur'an 46.9] Say: I am not the first of the messengers, and I do not know what will be done with me or with you: I do not follow anything but that which is revealed to me, and I am nothing but a plain warner.
قُلْ مَا كُنْتُ بِدْعًا مِنَ الرُّسُلِ وَمَا أَدْرِي مَا يُفْعَلُ بِي وَلَا بِكُمْ ۖ إِنْ أَتَّبِعُ إِلَّا مَا يُوحَىٰ إِلَيَّ وَمَا أَنَا إِلَّا نَذِيرٌ مُبِينٌ

The messenger had followed what was revealed to him (The Qur'an). Therefore, it is not only fard but also Sunnah for us to follow the Qur'an.

Anyone of us who does not follow the Qur'an is not following what was followed by the messenger.

[Qur'an 6.50] Say: I do not say to you, I have with me the treasures of Allah, nor do I know the unseen, nor do I say to you that I am an angel; I do not follow aught save that which is revealed to me. Say: Are the blind and the seeing one alike? Do you not then reflect?
قُلْ لَا أَقُولُ لَكُمْ عِنْدِي خَزَائِنُ اللَّهِ وَلَا أَعْلَمُ الْغَيْبَ وَلَا أَقُولُ لَكُمْ إِنِّي مَلَكٌ ۖ إِنْ أَتَّبِعُ إِلَّا مَا يُوحَىٰ إِلَيَّ ۚ قُلْ هَلْ يَسْتَوِي الْأَعْمَىٰ وَالْبَصِيرُ ۚ أَفَلَا تَتَفَكَّرُونَ

[Qur'an 7.203] And when you bring them not a revelation they say: Why do you not devise it? Say: I only follow what is revealed to me from my Lord; this is clear enlightenment from your Lord and a guidance and a mercy for a people who believe.
وَإِذَا لَمْ تَأْتِهِمْ بِآيَةٍ قَالُوا لَوْلَا اجْتَبَيْتَهَا ۚ قُلْ إِنَّمَا أَتَّبِعُ مَا يُوحَىٰ إِلَيَّ مِنْ رَبِّي ۚ هَٰذَا بَصَائِرُ مِنْ رَبِّكُمْ وَهُدًى وَرَحْمَةٌ لِقَوْمٍ يُؤْمِنُونَ

Only the Qur'an was revealed to the messenger from Allah (SWT). Hadith books are not revelations from Allah (SWT).

Old 01-23-2019, 03:55 AM

Another very important point to note when studying the Qur'an is that there is a big difference in the word "hadith" (حَدِيثُ) and the word "al-hadith" {الْحَدِيث) in the Arabic Qur'an.

"Al-hadith" (الْحَدِيث) is reference to a revelation from Allah (SWT) even if it is indirectly, and "hadith" (حَدِيثُ) is always reference to saying of a human or a story about humans. The word "hadith" (حَدِيثُ) is never mentioned in the Qur'an as saying (revelation) from Allah (SWT).

The above is the reason no "hadith book" is ever called "al-hadith book" even though some people lacking this knowledge may inadvertently say "the hadith book" which can apply only to the Qur'an or a book of previous revelations from Allah (SWT) and never to any (human) hadith book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam