Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 06:51 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,428,988 times

Advertisements

A Message to President Obama from a former Muslim - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 09:35 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,085,116 times
Interesting video.

Typical of many that are designed to be viewed by non-Muslims. Videos of this type are usually intended to be used to discourage non-Muslims from accepting Islam.

Nothing in it to debate. Typical anti-Islamic rhetoric. Usual usage of the "Former Muslim" quoting ayyats out of context.

Emotionalism and fear arousal for those that have no concept of Islam except what the media portrays.

Many perhaps most Muslims are anti-ISIS.

For the full story of how Muslims view ISIS try reading these:

HERE

HERE

HERE

HERE

HERE

HERE

HERE

Old 09-06-2014, 10:41 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,483,414 times
the only reason isis has any support is because of the genocide committed by the asad regime and the dysfunctional Iraqi govt. but they have themselves engaged in genocidal acts, mostly against fellow Muslims, and thus are increasingly disliked by most Muslims.

Old 09-06-2014, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
the only reason isis has any support is because of the genocide committed by the asad regime and the dysfunctional Iraqi govt. but they have themselves engaged in genocidal acts, mostly against fellow Muslims, and thus are increasingly disliked by most Muslims.
Quite true.

While they are a relativly small force, their biggest power is the wealth they have accumulated. Which is making them a very powerful force to contend with.

While they are speaking Islam their actions seem to point more towards monetary motivation. They do not seem to distinguish between Muslims and Non-Muslims in their hatred. Their goal seems to be the huge oil lease to China.

This is what I believe ISIS is after: HERE

Old 09-06-2014, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
This is correct, and while the actions of the group are exactly what muhammed did, they are also stepping on the toes of the other muslims.

Here again is an example, one of many, where different sides will scream foul from the side lines, but none will stand up to a panel of Islamic scholars from the west, in a televised, direct question and answer about the religion.

Old 09-06-2014, 08:48 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,024,118 times
Brave man.
Let's assume, for the sake of argument, that three quarters of what he says is hyperbole, the situation re Islam would still be pretty bad. Today, I turned on the radio, and within the space of a few minutes heard several reports of violent declaration or violence in the name of Islam. Perhaps of course it's all merely fictional anti Islamist propaganda. Time and time and time again I hear from apologists for Islam that ISIL/S, Boko Haram, the Taliban, Al Qaeda, the Indian Mujahideen et al are not 'real' Muslims. Well, that may be true (I'm not convinced), but there's certainly a huge minority out there who are killing and fighting in the name of Islam. I'd say for all intents and purposes that makes it so. As far as moderate Muslims protesting, if a huge number of agnostics (I know, some chance) were killing and fighting in the name of agnosticism, I'd shout my protest from the bloody rooftops. On a tangent, I couldn't help but notice the poor parents - the mother - of the South Asian Scottish girl who'd gone to join ISIS - invoked the name of god in asking her to change her mind and return (oh, the irony). God, I'm afraid, is part of the problem. Moderate religion facilitates the extremists.

Old 09-06-2014, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernist1 View Post
Brave man.
Let's assume, for the sake of argument, that three quarters of what he says is hyperbole, the situation re Islam would still be pretty bad. Today, I turned on the radio, and within the space of a few minutes heard several reports of violent declaration or violence in the name of Islam. Perhaps of course it's all merely fictional anti Islamist propaganda. Time and time and time again I hear from apologists for Islam that ISIL/S, Boko Haram, the Taliban, Al Qaeda, the Indian Mujahideen et al are not 'real' Muslims. Well, that may be true (I'm not convinced), but there's certainly a huge minority out there who are killing and fighting in the name of Islam. I'd say for all intents and purposes that makes it so. As far as moderate Muslims protesting, if a huge number of agnostics (I know, some chance) were killing and fighting in the name of agnosticism, I'd shout my protest from the bloody rooftops. On a tangent, I couldn't help but notice the poor parents - the mother - of the South Asian Scottish girl who'd gone to join ISIS - invoked the name of god in asking her to change her mind and return (oh, the irony). God, I'm afraid, is part of the problem. Moderate religion facilitates the extremists.
Oddly enough when I look at news from Iran or Palestine almost all the news I see is about the violence of Israel.

All nations seem to present the news that show them self as being innocent and smelling like roses.

The media is quite biased in all nations. One needs to search all sources and assume the truth is someplace between the extremes.

Outside of that our option is to rely upon what we our self have witnessed in person.

Old 09-06-2014, 09:07 PM

I only see a few options here.

Anyone who has read the only writings of muhammed, will agree these people are doing the exact same thing muhammed is documented as doing.

You have in the messenger a beautiful pattern of conduct to follow. ( Qur'an)

Anyone ( Muslim) who has not read the writings of muhammed, will take the side he is told to take.

Old 09-06-2014, 09:22 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,024,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Oddly enough when I look at news from Iran or Palestine almost all the news I see is about the violence of Israel.

All nations seem to present the news that show them self as being innocent and smelling like roses.

The media is quite biased in all nations. One needs to search all sources and assume the truth is someplace between the extremes.

Outside of that our option is to rely upon what we our self have witnessed in person.
Zionism (religion again) was and is a terrible mistake. Happy to discuss that in another thread - that doesn't however detract from my point that a large minority of people are doing terrible things in the name of Islam every day. My comment about 'fictional anti Islamist propaganda' was sarcastic.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernist1 View Post
Zionism (religion again) was and is a terrible mistake. Happy to discuss that in another thread - that doesn't however detract from my point that a large minority of people are doing terrible things in the name of Islam every day. My comment about 'fictional anti Islamist propaganda' was sarcastic.
With there being a rather large number of us (latest estimate 1.7 Billion) even a very small percentage is a huge number.

Just one percent comes to be 17,000,000. I certainly pray the total number of terrorists world wide and of all beliefs is much lower than that.

The majority of today's terrorism seems to be related to ISIS which claims a membership of 7,000 to 10,000 depending what source one uses. While that is less than 1/1,000 of the world's Muslim population, it's damage is huge. In today's world, a small percentage of any people can do considerable damage.

It should be mentioned that Indonesia has made it illegal to support ISIS. SOURCE turkey has agreed to side with the US to fight ISIS HERE

I believe most Islamic Nations will side with the US on this as ISIS is proving to be a threat to the Islamic Nations, especially against Saudi and Iran.

I have not heard of any Islamic Nations that support ISIS,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam