Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 11:09 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,081,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Continuum View Post
Thanks.

Click the Link and you can see it in bigger font
MixPicthall 1)

Looks like I will have to cover both Quranic Arabic and MSA at the same time with greater emphasis on the Quranic Arabic.

Might also have to glance at the assorted scripts used.

http://www.arabiccalligraphy.com/classic-types/#!/home

The Qur'an is nearly always in the Uthman (Kufic) script.

MSA Script. is a very new script, designed to be adaptable to modern printing presses and typewriters. Basically in Aabic writing there is an imaginary line that passes midway between the highest and lowest parts of each letter. The shape below the line is of no importance. The upper portion and the location of dots and pronunciation marks are very important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2016, 02:30 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,646,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
I can only speak from personal experience. I first learned the Moroccan Darija and the Qur'anic Tajweed and now find it is making it very difficult for me to learn MSA. I feel if I had learned MSA first it would have made it easier to have learned the Qur'anic and would have not made it so difficult for me to learn MSA now.
I read there are distinct forms of Arabic, i.e. Jordanian, Eyptian, Southern Arabian, Central/North Arabian, Moroccan, etc.

On this point, could be that the Moroccan Darija is quite different from the common Arabic [Eyptian] that you have difficulty getting in line with it.

Note this OP where the article stated there is no significant difference between Classical and Standard Arabic.
Quranic Arabic versus MSA

Old 07-16-2016, 07:46 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,081,696 times
Quote:
I read there are distinct forms of Arabic, i.e. Jordanian, Eyptian, Southern Arabian, Central/North Arabian, Moroccan, etc.

On this point, could be that the Moroccan Darija is quite different from the common Arabic [Eyptian] that you have difficulty getting in line with it.

Note this OP where the article stated there is no significant difference between Classical and Standard Arabic.
Quranic Arabic versus MSA

The Moroccan Dialect and the Hijaz (Meccan) dialect are probably the 2 extremes of the Arabic language spectrum. Yet, both use the same Qur'an. It is almost an impossibility for a Saudi and Moroccan to carry on a conversation in Arabic, although either can read the writings of the other.

Moroccan Arabic does contain words with Berber, Spanish, French and English roots that are not found in other Arabic dialects, but nearly all of these are confined to the spoken language and generally not written.

Old 07-16-2016, 05:34 PM

2,049 posts, read 1,066,648 times
اهدِنَــــا الصِّرَاطَ المُستَقِيمَShow us the straight path=Where is the straight path

You are looking for the right path
It is not Islam

Because if it were Islam
This is the straight path
But in this verse does not know where is the straight path
Read the good and calm

Old 04-05-2017, 12:19 AM

23 posts, read 19,374 times
There can be no doubt that learning the Arabic language should be one of the top priorities and certainly, it should be seen as one of the basic requirements for a person who wishes to study Islam. Similarly, the teaching of Arabic is equally a priority for those who wish to impart Islamic information to others. This is especially the case when the student is young.

Old 04-05-2017, 02:42 AM

3,640 posts, read 43,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahasn sawresho View Post
اهدِنَــــا الصِّرَاطَ المُستَقِيمَShow us the straight path=Where is the straight path
Shown in the Qur'aan! You can't see it for the reason quite obvious.

[7.16] He said: As Thou hast caused me to remain disappointed I will certainly lie in wait for them in Thy straight path.

He did lie in wait for you in His Straight Path.

Quote:
You are looking for the right path
It is not Islam
I am not "looking" for the Straight Path; I have already found it.

Quote:
Because if it were Islam
This is the straight path
When your head is buried in the sand, you can't see the path. You have to be upright to see the Straight Path.

[67.22] What! Is he who is fallen prone upon his face better guided or he who walks upright upon a straight path?

I am sure why one's case is a lost case; he does not walk upright to "see" the straight path.

Quote:
But in this verse does not know where is the straight path
Read the good and calm
The verse is part of the prayer. It is not about "looking" for straight path but about being "guided" on to the Straight Path.

[42.13] He has made plain to you of the religion what He enjoined upon Noah and that which We have revealed to you and that which We enjoined upon Abraham and Moses and Jesus that keep to obedience and be not divided therein; hard to the unbelievers is that which you call them to; Allah chooses for Himself whom He pleases, and guides to Himself him who turns (to Him), frequently.

Old 04-07-2017, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OP
[My personal claim is one can understand Islam via the English translations -at least 30 and the various commentaries in supplement with knowledge of human nature]
I have changed my views on the above since.

I refer to more than 50 English Translations of the Quran, but while this is better than relying on 1-10 English translation, it is not sufficient if one need to get a clearer understanding. The problem is there is no consensus among the translators. This no common consensus even extend to those who are expert in Arabic.

From my experience, understanding at least basic Arabic, Quranic Grammar, the Arabic root system are critical to facilitate a greater understanding of the Quran and Islam.

In addition a very critical and in depth analysis of the words and its context is also very critical.

I believe the whole process of understanding the Quran and Islam must be covered by a high competency in Philosophy, i.e. rationality, critical thinking, wisdom of human nature and objectivity [quite impossible for a believer!].

Old 04-07-2017, 03:58 AM

Quote:
From my experience, understanding at least basic Arabic, Quranic Grammar, the Arabic root system are critical to facilitate a greater understanding of the Quran and Islam.
Arabic root system is important to learn speaking Arabic but it can blow you off course if you rely on it for understanding the words in the Qur'aan. Words with the same root can have different meanings.

Arabic, Farsi (Persian) and Urdu (spoken extensively in the Indian subcontinent) are languages with similar letters from which words are formed. All three languages are written from right to left. Many words in Arabic are also in Farsi and in Urdu. This helps Farsi and Urdu speakers to understand Arabic words in the Qur'aan much quicker. Having said that, it is not absolutely necessary to learn Arabic to learn about Islam. I learnt about Islam before I learnt about any of the above three languages. Learning about these languages have only consolidated my knowledge about Islam.

Quote:
In addition a very critical and in depth analysis of the words and its context is also very critical.
For the vast majority of the believers, general knowledge about the requirements is sufficient but if one is to critique the Qur'aan or Islam in forums like this or respond to the critique then it is critical that one understands the Qur'aan at an higher level. This is why you have changed some of your views. You have learnt about the Qur'aan higher than before. And I am sure the journey will keep going for some time yet.

Quote:
I believe the whole process of understanding the Quran and Islam must be covered by a high competency in Philosophy, i.e. rationality, critical thinking, wisdom of human nature and objectivity [quite impossible for a believer!].
To understand the Qur'aan better, no verse of the Qur'aan is to be ignored or disregarded. This is the most critical point in understanding the Qur'aan.

Deen wasn't perfected until all the necessary verses had not been revealed. In other words, the Qur'aan wasn't complete until all the verses hadn't been revealed. For this reason, one cannot take the verses or any word in the Qur'aan in isolation and think that he knows all about the Qur'aan and the Deen.

It is absolutely critical to know everything in the Qur'aan to understand many verses or many words in the Qur'aan. Relying on translations helps but does not help 100%. Many translators have messed up big time. They have disregarded 2:30 in translating 51:56.

Old 04-07-2017, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalif View Post
Arabic root system is important to learn speaking Arabic but it can blow you off course if you rely on it for understanding the words in the Qur'aan. Words with the same root can have different meanings.
I understand there are precautions we need to take when referring to the root system.

There are 3000+ roots [bilateral, trilateral (majority), quadrilateral] used in the Quran and a certain % of them have various sets of meaning which could be quite distinct from each other.

The majority of the roots [noted so far] belong to one common central concept. e.g. the root J-H-D is centered on the concept of 'putting in extra effort' which cover words like striving, struggle, endeavor, zeal, and the likes.

I am surveying ALL [100%] the root words used in the Quran from 'Alif' to 'Yaa' so that I know of all the roots that has multiple sets of different meanings and take note and extra care where they involved contentious words.
This takes time but it is not a difficult process.

Old 04-08-2017, 02:03 AM

Quote:
The majority of the roots [noted so far] belong to one common central concept. e.g. the root J-H-D is centered on the concept of 'putting in extra effort' which cover words like striving, struggle, endeavor, zeal, and the likes.
I don't see J-H-D means "putting in extra effort".

I see it merely the root letters of words that could mean differently even if these are related in some way.

For example "JIHAD" (noun) is not putting in extra effort but it is name given to the struggle that was faced by the believers in staying in their Deen. Putting in effort, whether extra or not, would be verb "JAHAD" or "JAHID". The root J-H-D will not differentiate "struggle" (noun) and "struggling" (verb). What is often assumed as "jihad" in the western world today is, in fact, "jahad". It has been assumed "jihad" in ignorance about the actual meaning of the word "jihad" in the Qur'aan. The same mistake is often made by those who critique the Qur'aan or Islam. They do it in ignorance but do not realize their mistake.

Just as in English, "building" can be noun and "building" can be verb, in Arabic "struggle" (jihad) is not the same thing as "struggle" (jahad or jahid). Another example is the words "al-hadith" and "hadith" in the Qur'aan are not the same thing. The same goes for "salaat" and "al-salaat". Another example is "Allah" (Al-lah), "The God", is not the same as "god" ("lah" in Arabic).

The root may be the same but there could be a big gulf in the meanings of these words with the same root. Thinking that you have discovered the secret of meanings of the Arabic words in the Qur'aan is not going to help you. You still have to differentiate these same root words for their different meanings (which is crucial to understand the Qur'aan in order to critique or refute the critique in this forum).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam