Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 06:37 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,514,766 times

Advertisements

1. Basically Del Rio is like a zombie, he's the living dead as far as the job goes and he knows it. He's just going through the motions right now.

2. I believe Maurice Jones-Drew Qualifies as a standout personality on the team. Unfortunately he is the about the only one, until or if Gabert grows into the job. And it is true, most of the Jag's draft pic's have been abysmal. Their GM (Smith) should be fired along with the head coach.(Del Rio) Just pray that when Jacks gone they do not hire Charlie Weis from the Gators!

PS ... Tom Coughlin was never a big name coach until he led the Giant's to the Super Bowl victory.
He was however a good college coach from Boston College when Wayne Weaver took a gamble and hired him to coach the Jag's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 08:09 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,328,220 times
And it's even worse that the first and former QB, Mark Brunnel, is now 'broke' and owes $24.7 million...

I just read where he had a 17 year career in the NFL...and was a former Washington Husky QB...

NFL QB Mark Brunell Blew $50 Million & Now is Bankrupt | Robert Littal Presents BlackSportsOnline

I guess I also read where he's still active as a back up QB for the Jets...

He lost all his money in bad investments...including trying to buy a franchise in Whataburger...

And realistate...so at least he didn't loose his dough to drugs or cars or silly stuff the way most athletes do...

In some ways, his style reminds me of Tebows...a huge tough runner that plowed his way through people...

Old 11-15-2011, 12:15 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,172,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
A few other reasons why they don't sell out games from a casual NFL fan...

1. The head coach sounds 'dead' and 'detached' in pre and post game interviews...like all the air is out of him...like it's just a job...

2. Poor draft choices...The Jaguars are a starless team...there is no stand out personalities on that team...it's bland, grey, dull...sorry, but personalities sell tickets, contriversial personalities sell even more tickets...

They past at Vick, they past at TO, they even passed on Tim Tebow...
The Jaguars are a very dull team...

Management needs to realize NFL football also needs to have a bit of entertainment factor to it...obviously their template hasn't worked so far...

The only time the Jaguar did well was early on when they had a big name coach and a few big name players...

And finally, they need to let Jack go...he's lost his fire...it's just not there anymore...win or loose he gets a big check...get rid of him...
I hope management focuses on winning and not entertainment or controversy factor. Actually, I don't hope, I know, that they will. Entertainment isn't a long-term solution.

The Jags had a big name coach and big name players because they were one of the top teams in the NFL from 96-99, they weren't doing well because they picked up big name personnel. Coughlin was a completely unknown entity, as were basically all of the stars from the early years (Brunell, Smith, Mccardell, Means, Stewart, Boselli, Taylor) who were either other teams' trash or drafted out of college.

And yes, Jack is pretty much gone at the end of the season.

Quote:
And it's even worse that the first and former QB, Mark Brunnel, is now 'broke' and owes $24.7 million...

I just read where he had a 17 year career in the NFL...and was a former Washington Husky QB...

NFL QB Mark Brunell Blew $50 Million & Now is Bankrupt | Robert Littal Presents BlackSportsOnline

I guess I also read where he's still active as a back up QB for the Jets...

He lost all his money in bad investments...including trying to buy a franchise in Whataburger...

And realistate...so at least he didn't loose his dough to drugs or cars or silly stuff the way most athletes do...

In some ways, his style reminds me of Tebows...a huge tough runner that plowed his way through people...
Technically he wasn't the first QB, and I don't ever remember him plowing through anyone. He was a great runner before his knee injury, but in a Steve Young way. Not a Tebow way. You're absolutely right that it's a little unfortunate that he lost his fortune and has so many creditors. But he'll still receive an NFL pension, have health care for life, and if he plans to continue working a corporate job he should be fine. Certainly not the glamorous life but still a good one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion View Post
1. Basically Del Rio is like a zombie, he's the living dead as far as the job goes and he knows it. He's just going through the motions right now.

2. I believe Maurice Jones-Drew Qualifies as a standout personality on the team. Unfortunately he is the about the only one, until or if Gabert grows into the job. And it is true, most of the Jag's draft pic's have been abysmal. Their GM (Smith) should be fired along with the head coach.(Del Rio) Just pray that when Jacks gone they do not hire Charlie Weis from the Gators!

PS ... Tom Coughlin was never a big name coach until he led the Giant's to the Super Bowl victory.
He was however a good college coach from Boston College when Wayne Weaver took a gamble and hired him to coach the Jag's.
Yep, agree with madcap across the board except for Gene Smith. All indications are that he's done a fairly good job in personnel decisions. He's not infallible like some believe and three years is not enough to adequately judge his position, but he's done quite well in his off-seasons. Particularly compared to his predecessor. Yuk.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:45 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,510,776 times
Brunnel is still playing, I saw him holding kicks for the jets on Sunday Night.

Winning cures everything.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:48 AM

He has $24.7 million in law suits against him...

How much do kick holders get paid in the NFL?

I do wish him well...

The investments he made could of just as well gone right for him, and instead of owing $24 million...
He'd probaly be worth 240 million instead...

The Jags over all just need some 'life'...they need to bring in a 'spark' player or coach...

In this instance, the team does need some personality...to boost moral...a Dion Sanders type or something...amazing what players like that can do to boost moral, not just for team but for city also...

This team just seems to be anti-personality and look at the results...try something different, please....before the team gets moved off to LA...

Old 11-15-2011, 10:55 AM

3,863 posts, read 9,514,766 times
Yes he's the holder for extra points and field goals, but he's also the 2nd string back-up behind Mark Sanchez. And ahead of Kevin O'Connell the 3rd string QB out of San Diego State. So Brunnell is just making the league minimum for a QB of his tenure which is $575,000.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:59 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,510,776 times
he filed bankruptcy, so those law suits will be renegotiated

Old 11-15-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion View Post
Yes he's the holder for extra points and field goals, but he's also the 2nd string back-up behind Mark Sanchez. And ahead of Kevin O'Connell the 3rd string QB out of San Diego State. So Brunnell is just making the league minimum for a QB of his tenure which is $575,000.

$575,000 a year??

And here I was feeling sorry for him...

Ok Brunnel...no more bad investments...just put your money in the bank and let it collect regular interests....

Old 11-15-2011, 01:58 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,506,488 times
Quote:
$575,000 a year??
...no more bad investments...just put your money in the bank and let it collect regular interests....
Um, you just contradicted yourself there, buddy.

Old 11-15-2011, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBoyd View Post
Um, you just contradicted yourself there, buddy.
Ok, I'll admit...I'm not a financial gura, but I just figured regular interest off of half a million would be pretty decent?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville