Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 05:52 PM

27 posts, read 128,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
The world needs leaders and it needs it's workers, guess where the leaders are coming from?
In all actuality, most of the leaders are coming from the magnet schools and they don't need mommy & daddy's money to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2008, 06:23 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,206,581 times
It's very difficult to get into Paxon or Stanton because so many want to attend. But that doesn't mean that you shouldn't look into them and go for it if that is your choice. That's what we are going to do.

I don't agree that you can get a much better education at Paxon or Stanton, though. I'd put Bolles above them educationally.

And for the criticism of snobbery at Bolles- well, it is true of some of the parents. But it is also true that violence occurs at Paxon and Stanton regularly. They are regular public high schools in high crime areas with special magnet classes.

Old 01-13-2008, 06:52 AM
rtt

302 posts, read 812,547 times
People feel that they have more of a say in a private vs. public school. They don't have to deal with unionised teachers, as much red tape, etc. Discipline issues can be a problem in public schools as the poster noted as well. Unfortunately, we found discipline problems at Bolles, too, and that's one reason we were turned off. My husband and I were just talking this a.m. about Bolles. He said that if your kid is a certain type of kid (cheerleader, football player) it can be a good fit. Fine Arts, Literary bent not as much, in our opinion. The whole "good ole boy" mentality is encouraged and celebrated.

Old 01-13-2008, 08:02 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,964,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtt View Post
People feel that they have more of a say in a private vs. public school. They don't have to deal with unionised teachers, as much red tape, etc. Discipline issues can be a problem in public schools as the poster noted as well. Unfortunately, we found discipline problems at Bolles, too, and that's one reason we were turned off. My husband and I were just talking this a.m. about Bolles. He said that if your kid is a certain type of kid (cheerleader, football player) it can be a good fit. Fine Arts, Literary bent not as much, in our opinion. The whole "good ole boy" mentality is encouraged and celebrated.
are we going to rehash your issues again? square peg round hole

Old 01-15-2008, 05:16 PM

27 posts, read 128,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
I don't agree that you can get a much better education at Paxon or Stanton, though. I'd put Bolles above them educationally...it is also true that violence occurs at Paxon and Stanton regularly. They are regular public high schools in high crime areas with special magnet classes.
Question: What evidence can you cite to back up Bolles being better than the magnets? The last time I checked, the Stanton & Paxon boasted higher rankings; more National Merit, National Acheivement, & National Hispanic Scholars; and more scholarship money awarded than any other NE Florida schools, public or private. Not to mention the International Baccalaureate programs which push the students above the international standards (virtually every U.S. school, public or private is well below this line).

Also, Stanton & Paxon are not regular high schools, as they offer no standard-level classes. They are completely separated from the rest of the DCPS system in all but board-related issues. True, the neighborhood isn't the best, but all violence is outside the school boundaries. I can't speak for Paxon, but the only fights at SCP in the last 5 years have been between A. Phillip Randolph Tech. School kids (who ride buses to SCP, wait for SCP to let out, then transfer buses) with no Stanton student involvement. Stanton & Paxon combined have fewer incidents than almost any other individual public school. And again, you're already paying taxes to support public schools, why not take advantage of those tax dollars and pocket potential tuition money?

Old 01-21-2008, 01:14 PM

8 posts, read 36,266 times
My husband, currently a teacher at an independent school in the Northeast, had an informational interview there last year. He was not applying for a particular position but meeting with administrators to find out more about the school. His was unimpressed with the school. The Bolles School has a outdated technology program and apparently no interest in changing it. The principal actually told him--we don't need technology here. The public school system in St John's County (and probably Duval County) are more innovative and forward thinking than the Bolles School.

Both my husband and I graduated from private schools and intend to send our children to them by the time they are ready for High School. The Bolles School is exactly the type of school I would not choose for my children. If I'm going to pay for private school I expect to get something really special--not just the opportunity for my children to rub elbows with rich kids.

Old 01-21-2008, 02:36 PM

1 posts, read 7,422 times
I agree completely. 2 of my family members attended Bolles and were give a "marginal" private school education. Bolles has been riding on their coat tails for far too long. If more Duval County families checked into Clay counties Country Day program they wouldn't dream of sending their kids to Bolles. Bolles is all about getting their tuition from you. Country Day is all about your childs education and the entire families involvement in it. This is what a private school is all about to me

Old 01-22-2008, 02:23 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,571,252 times
Look into Providence School. Great academics. The started to be on par w Bolles/Episcopal. I know a few teachers. it is associated w New Life Christian Fellowship and is conservative in its outlook but they strive for excellent academics

Old 05-02-2008, 12:27 PM

725 posts, read 2,570,626 times
Moderator cut: edit If people can't afford Bolles they need only look as far as their garage and practice their football pass, or baseball swing. Scholarships are available..actually I may have funded some scholarship money for the next, up and coming football star. Why won't this thread die?....*argh.

Last edited by riveree; 05-02-2008 at 09:42 PM.. Reason: removed comment due to deleted post above...comment was orphaned

Old 05-02-2008, 12:32 PM
rtt

302 posts, read 812,547 times
Ryde, you're so funny. Bolles swears up and down that they don't offer athletic scholarships but the athletic directors at the other private schools (Providence, too) hands down think they do. Wonder who's right!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville